Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
1) Those abilities aren't usually available to your starter as you just start out (hidden abilities were first gained from Pokemon gotten from the Pokemon Dream World site in Gen 5 and since then have had various other irritating-to-difficult ways of acquisition, mostly involving fighting the same Pokemon over and over again). By default, all starters have Blaze/Torrent/Overgrow as needed.

This does mean that in Reborn you're probably just grabbing whichever of the starters spawns with its hidden ability or restarting until the one you want has it! This is fun!

2) It does. It also lets you swap into a more defensive typing if you can predict what your opponent is going to use. It being good is still dependent on the pokemon and its movepools, though: Kecleon gets it as a hidden and still isn't great, but Froakie and its evolutions get kind of silly.

Anyway, godspeed you poor Bydoless. I'm so glad we meet two of the more (not most) completely loving awful characters right in the first update so people can get a taste of what's to come.

Vote: Male 2 with a name choice to be added whenever someone else comes up with something clever,Black-haired Girl named either Ebony or Enoby and whichever of the starters has the worst looking shiny named Deviantart Dementia

e: hopping on the bandwagon

Leraika fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I kinda feel like arguing about Reborn's inclusiveness v. hatefulness is pretty premature considering we've only been through one update.

Also, I'm still bowled over that the creator of this had her self-insert torture a man to death with a Torkoal, jesus.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

theGrooseofLegend posted:

So Contrary sounds great on paper, but how good is Serperior?

Pretty much the only thing it can really run is Contrary Leaf Storm because it only learns attacking moves of two types (normal and grass) by level up. It also suffers from being a defensively-built pokemon with a poor defensive type and no real specialization otherwise.

However, once it starts spamming Leaf Storm, it boosts very quickly.

e: this is competitive, mind you. It'll get you through a normal game of pokemon just fine, but you'll probably feel the hurt from the limited movepool a bit more.

Good thing Reborn forces encourages you to use a bunch of pokemon with its level caps!

Leraika fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 31, 2017

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

RyuHimora posted:

No. This happened to me on two occasions in Red, both definitely without trading. I Levelled my Charizard to 50 before taking on Lt. Surge via sequence break and it stopped obeying me mid battle. Years later I emulated the game and cheated in rare candies to get a lvl 50 Nidoking from the start, and the same thing started happening.

Sounds like a glitch, then. Probably generated the Charmander with a different trainer ID than yours because RGB is held together with prayers and kludges.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Ughhhhh, Julia.

Ughhhhh one-off terrains that do literally nothing but give your opponent an advantage.

And the thing that infuriated me most about Reborn when I played it - for all the inclusiveness and representation it preaches, oh boy that sure is a lot of very stereotyped brown people. (I'd forgotten about the scientists in Julia's gym because Julia's gym is the worst because Julia is awful)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Personally, I like the collection of NPCs and challenge/win/followup quotes (because it's usually dumb or memes or dumb memes) but it'd be fine if that sort of thing was bonus content.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Gyra_Solune posted:

honestly

when i played this game I barely remembered Julia as being exceptionally obnoxious to fight, and I didn't cheese it nearly as hard. I don't even think I found any of those Pokemon with Lightning Rod, I just kind of fought her normally with the team I had, probably lost a few times, likely barely won. I kind of found it interesting as someone who knows Pokemon but not at a competitive level. Normally gym matches kind of bore me because oh, just bring in a resistance/weakness and you'll be fine, but this one did a good job, to me, of feeling like a proper boss battle where you have to squeeze as much out of your team and rethink strategies to get through. Plus I mean, the ridiculous bump to Explosion is likely just more cosmetic than anything - at this point are you really going to have anything that can weather a 250 power anything attack? The game clearly telegraphs that hey, this gym leader is going to rely on Explosion, that's a thing you will have to deal with, and I think the more normal answer is 'just deal with how you'll have to sacrifice fodder' for most.

It's a gym slightly later on that I remembered as being 'okay, this is kind of ridiculous' (at exactly the point where it starts getting very, very stupid, and i stopped really playing) whose terrain effect is so incredibly obnoxious that you really don't have a choice but to get rid of it. Thankfully that isn't too /difficult/ to acquire, and with the ability to see exactly what each terrain effect can be adjusted and removed by it's a lot easier to search for, but...it kind of felt like a 'if I wasn't coincidentally using this one specific Pokemon the whole time on my team, I would've had to spend hours and hours getting it' battle.

also remember how the city part of the world map looked weird and from a different perspective? It actually kind of isn't - what you're seeing in it, as demonstrated in this update, is how half of the city is built on these huge tiered plateaus and is surrounded by enormous walls. It's a WEIRD layout for a city, that much is obvious.

I imagne the mapper saw FFVII and was all 'yes this is a great idea for a 2d game where you'll have to explore the whole thing'.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Serperoth posted:

Speaking of good hacks, this discussion has been made, but, theoretically, what would be a good hack for you?

Touhou Puppet Dance Performance: Yume no Kakera but with a full translation, Pokemon Sage but finished.

Other than that: Walking pokemon, something a little more in-depth than 'beat league then champion' but not 'please enjoy this cutscene of my self-insert torturing a dude' depth, and just... good feels, I guess? I play pokemon games because I like the idea of going out and being best friends with every sort of adorable fauna that comes my way, which is sort of antithetical to the sort of 'the world is a cruel and awful place, mostly because pokemon' thing that a lot of these fan games have going on.

Also, I really like fakemon.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

krisslanza posted:

You know, the idea of getting most of your Pokemon via side quests or something isn't an inherently awful idea, I think? It's kind of neat or different but... given Reborn's awful balancing and all...
I mean, I guess so far, at least I can say Reborn wasn't stupid enough to lock Berries behind the postgame at least? Smallest of silver linings!

...have we even seen any non-Pickup berries yet?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

The man called M posted:

A member of Reborn's forums made a game called Pokemon Rejuvenation . While some (Including myself) consider it better than Reborn, it kind of has some of the same problems. (Trying to be Pokemon The Grandmaster, for example). I'm thinking it might be a "fun" side LP.

Which problems? I see it's got the terrain system and the storyline doesn't look super promising.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I kinda feel like Fern is supposed to be the bad guy rival ala Gary or Silver but written by people with no idea of subtlety and no idea of what makes a bad guy rival entertaining rather than spiteful.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

...Wow, Fern went from 0 to 100 on the rear end in a top hat Meter in no time. I mean, it just feels so incredibly forced to set him up as rival like this (assuming that's what they're even going for).

...He's going to get much worse, isn't he.

He was kind of a jerk in the base-storming section too, but he was nominally on your side. Now he's a super jerk who's deliberately hindering you because he's creepily possessive of his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

There's also the part where Fern is presumably an adult, having graduated high school (???), and Blue is a goddamn ten year old.

• Locked thread