Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ace of Aces posted:

Sadly these days most games are either too complex, or have too-secure sanitychecking, which typically results in fairly harmless graphical glitches and not much else - anything more severe tends to make the game panic and leads to a crash, especially with console games. It's certainly one of the things I miss most about games from 15-20 years ago.
Or you just fall out of the level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ace of Aces posted:

I had that happen to me in FF15 after I spent 30 minutes cheesing the Adamantoise, and before I saved. I was less than impressed.
I was trying to climb up to the second story of some pod bed thing in Prey and fell into it, and while jumping around trying to get back out I then fell out of the level entirely. Fortunately the most recent save wasn't far.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rainuwastaken posted:

While "this terrain gives the enemy a colossal advantage because DIFFICULTY" is kinda ehhh, I actually kind of like how you have to outsmart this first gym and cheese it with lightning rod. Pokemon difficulty hacks usually give the enemies really wide coverage and huge stats, and while sonic boom is absolutely a problem, this one feels like a puzzle with an answer other than getting bigger numbers. The real games never require a strategy much more complicated than "use water on the red guy", so it's kind of interesting to see all of these lightning rod pokemon placed in the perfect spot for you to use their unique talent.

But this is all probably going to get flushed down the toilet and get real bad real quick, huh? :v:
Keep in mind that two out of three possible pokemon you can do that with are one-time spawns that aren't guaranteed to have the relevant ability, and one of those can just not spawn and be something else instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Falconer posted:

NES FF2 had its fair share of bugs and quirks too:

- There is a weapon in the game called the Blood Sword that restores HP to the wielder equal to the damage it deals. This weapon is coded such that it deals damage equal to 1/16th of the target's max HP with each hit, ignoring defense, and if memory serves there are two Blood Swords in the game. In short, two characters with sufficient sword skill can focus their attacks on any non-undead enemy in the game and kill it in a single round.

Don't forget that there's a lot of late-game enemies with this effect on their attacks, too. So while you CAN crank your HP into the stratosphere early with Swap or something, this will bite you in the rear end if you don't level up your evasion to match.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Do we ever learn what matte black substance is filling up those cracks in everything?

Because they're clearly filled with something, otherwise we'd be able to see something down in them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

krisslanza posted:

I'm somehow thinking of the "super baby method" from MGS1.
Which, despite how much stuff MGS sounds like is made up, but is actually real, I was a bit disappointed to find out the "super baby method" isn't an actual thing.
Very little about the Les Enfants Terrible project makes any sense.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah, this is a work in progress game isn't it? Not the final version.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

:psyduck: Why were these people allowed to make a video game? Were all of the intelligent, sane developers who made most of the previous FF games on vacation for FF11's dev cycle?
Keep in mind FF11 predated World of Warcraft, and was drawing more from Everquest and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Eopia posted:

...How is that in any way too chaotic for three people?
I've fought way, way more complicated and hectic bosses than that in FF14, routinely.

Hell one of the bosses in a dungeon in the new FF14 expansion has almost exactly that gimmick. That gimmick has been an FF series staple since the SNES days.

• Locked thread