Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

There's also the fact that the game also centers around collecting and there's the desire to find and obtain the coolest rarest thing possible. If you can find this weird rectangle of TV static that somehow gives you infinite masterballs, who knows what other cool poo poo you can find hidden within the game if you do X with Y. That also fired up a ton of rumors and motivated people to delve into the game's code and learn it front to back.

It might also be the reason why people to this day find and leak tons of stuff whenever a new game is going to come out shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

That's one bit of criticism I have with the storylines newer Pokemon games follow. There's a definite sense of spectacle creep in regards to villainous plots. Once the plot becomes about saving the universe, where do you go from there?

Although I do like that newer games also introduces a mysterious character who is very important to the plot but not the villain themselves (N, AZ, Zinnia and Lillie). But in order for fangames to do this, they need to know how to write an engaging character that people would be interested in... Which as you can see, they have difficulty with that.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

EclecticTastes posted:

I feel like Chesnaught doesn't get nearly enough props just because Greninja and Delphox got so much hype during Gen VI, but Chesnaught owns pretty hard, too, and Decidueye is pretty fantastic. The two most recent generations have been really on-point with their starters in general, they're some of the best in the entire franchise.

I feel like the starters of each generation is slowly getting away from "kaiju"-like to more like taking design cues from Dungeons and Dragons character classes. This is especially noticeable with the Gen VI and VII starters: Chesnaught and Incineroar are bulky fighters (one is a Knight, the other a Wrestler), Delphox and Primarina are waif-like mages (Delphox is a witch and Primarina is a songstress) and Greninja and Decidueye are thieves (a ninja and archer respectively).

I really hope Gen VIII continues this trend and bring along a grass mage, a fire thief and a water fighter.

• Locked thread