Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DirtyBear

I'm glad Legion seems to have turned out okay, I'll probably see it sometime but I was nervous about it because a) a lot of moving image xmen content has sucked and b) a lot of network tv comic shows have sucked. any idea if it is actually truish to comic book Legion stories/origins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

sorry maybe fool is harsh, but i very much disagree!

Hey hey hey, isn't it possible that I've never heard of it due to my country of origin?? I'm mainly talking about my experiences as a kid, watching good cartoons on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon like any American millennial in the 90's, and was very much disenfranchised by the terrible cartoons coming out a decade later. Camp Lazlo was bad. Code Lyoko was bad. Chowder could be funny at times but was generally sub-par. The Fairly Oddparents was very watchable as a kid but now it's like "wtf is this poo poo?". It was like this period of time where kid's cartoons were approaching subversive and watchable by adults again but not quite making it, particularly with that trend of actiony/super hero type toons like Kids Next Door, My Life as A Teenaged Robot, and yes, Danny Phantom. Like they were SO CLOSE to being timelessly good but just fell short due to generally lame writing, bad jokes, and typical plots. But I have to give credit for KND for it's *references* (they did a whole animatrix parody episode) and I personally loved the animation style for Jenny XJ9. Again though, these aren't really things that aged well for me as opposed to stuff like Rocko, Dexter's Lab, Courage, Animaniacs and basically all of it's sibling cartoons, and even SpongeBob.

:goonsay:

Tell me more!
btw ty Birdcon for the sweet spring sig

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

Starman Super DX posted:

Hey hey hey, isn't it possible that I've never heard of it due to my country of origin?? I'm mainly talking about my experiences as a kid, watching good cartoons on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon like any American millennial in the 90's, and was very much disenfranchised by the terrible cartoons coming out a decade later. Camp Lazlo was bad. Code Lyoko was bad. Chowder could be funny at times but was generally sub-par. The Fairly Oddparents was very watchable as a kid but now it's like "wtf is this poo poo?". It was like this period of time where kid's cartoons were approaching subversive and watchable by adults again but not quite making it, particularly with that trend of actiony/super hero type toons like Kids Next Door, My Life as A Teenaged Robot, and yes, Danny Phantom. Like they were SO CLOSE to being timelessly good but just fell short due to generally lame writing, bad jokes, and typical plots. But I have to give credit for KND for it's *references* (they did a whole animatrix parody episode) and I personally loved the animation style for Jenny XJ9. Again though, these aren't really things that aged well for me as opposed to stuff like Rocko, Dexter's Lab, Courage, Animaniacs and basically all of it's sibling cartoons, and even SpongeBob.

:goonsay:

sorry lol, to clarify Ozmo is short for 12. Oz Mouse, which I think you should maybe give another chance. its good!

i generally agree with you about those late 90s early 2000s children's cartoons being better than a lot of stuff from late 2000s to now tho

Starman Super DX

12 Oz Mouse isn't a great example of Adult Swim going down hill, more like Frisky Dingo and Squidbillies. Ozmo was definitely better than those two.

Tell me more!

joke_explainer

DirtyBear posted:

I'm glad Legion seems to have turned out okay, I'll probably see it sometime but I was nervous about it because a) a lot of moving image xmen content has sucked and b) a lot of network tv comic shows have sucked. any idea if it is actually truish to comic book Legion stories/origins?

It appears to be both separate from the X-man universe at large and the Legion stories. They hint at the connection only indirectly. I was really surprised to see such quality cinenmatography in what I expected would be a cookie cutter marvel show, but they take interesting chances every episode and just 8 episodes in the season keeps it all seeming pretty fresh. Who knows what year 2 will be like, but yeah, I enjoyed it.

pogi

what do you guys think about better call saul

also i have very little free time these days, what is the best show for me to throw up an episode of and not have to worry about continuity. im thinkin its always sunny but am open to suggestions

Starman Super DX

pogi posted:

what do you guys think about better call saul

also i have very little free time these days, what is the best show for me to throw up an episode of and not have to worry about continuity. im thinkin its always sunny but am open to suggestions

if you're into sketch comedy Mr. Show and Human Giant are awesome somewhat lesser known gems.
The US version of the Office is actually very watchable out of order despite definitely having continuity so if you don't care quite as much about it's story you can just enjoy Michael Scott's antics on an episode by episode basis and piece together everything else. NewsRadio and Frasier are two of my favorite sitcoms.
30 Rock has a small continuity but it isn't super important to the show for the most part.
Workaholics and Bob's Burgers are also good without an extensive story and continuity. of course if you haven't see it, I would recommend some of Loren Bouchard's best work- Home Movies.

It's Always Sunny manages to stay great though up until the last like, one or two seasons which is pretty impressive. the Maureen ponderosa episodes are kinda dumb though.

e: also, I'm aware Brendan worked equally on Home Movies too, and Metalocalypse is a funny show... but after seeing how consistently good and polished Bob's Burgers tends to be, I think we know who the real talent is :smuggo:
also, it's kinda interesting to see where both of their musical sensibilities lie. Brendan was clearly the guitar guy, and Loren loves synth (I think Gene is supposed to be kind of a representation of him).

Fun Fact: original concept for Metalocalypse was actually about an equally vapid and ignorant boy band

e2: I can't help but wonder...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYr8Yp9w2TM
"My hat is hard, but my heart is soft."

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 14, 2017

Tell me more!

Sensual Simian

summer jorts
Metalocalypse is great. Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law is really great.

I've enjoyed Better Call Saul, but I'm not convinced that it is worth watching anymore, Mr. Show is bonkers and good, Fargo is fantastic.

I'm convinced to start watching Legion now, also, thanks.

Starman Super DX

Also, Trailer Park Boys.
Trailer Park Boys is really fuckin good.

In D&D we forced a goblin into servitude and named him Corey Trevor.

he died tho.

Tell me more!

Twenty Four

Crossposting because Mr. Show and name relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkP_OGDCLY0

But really the best sketch comedy was Upright Citizens Brigade.

DirtyBear

Twenty Four posted:

But really the best sketch comedy was Upright Citizens Brigade.

god i love that show. the sketches are funny the actors are all awesome and just the concept of the show (evil group trying to spread disorder across the world) itself cracked me up.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/fnygd4/upright-citizens-brigade-handy-clean-up-guys

for some reason thats the sketch that's always stuck with me its just so ridiculous

Sensual Simian

summer jorts
Mr. Show always

https://youtu.be/PLDGoEh7jqA

Starman Super DX

I should try watching more UCB, it never really struck me the same was as Mr. Show did.

Or Human Giant. HG deserved another season before Aziz Ansari had to go off and be a smug rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgQ44_uFW4

Wow, this is literally one of two actual Human Giant sketches I can find YT clips off and it's funny but not their best. Perhaps I will need to do the lord's work and upload something myself. So it can get DMCA'd.

The sketches with Rob Riggle are the funniest ones.

Tell me more!

Twenty Four

Starman Super DX posted:

I should try watching more UCB

Yes, episodes "Super Cool" or "Pro Thunder Ball" are good jumping off points. UCB has a certain sense of humor, but I think it is even more accessible then Mr. Show. Both are good but considering you are the one that opened a thread about liking good TV, I would recommend it.

Starman Super DX

I miss The Drew Carey show. :sigh:

Tell me more!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i found season one and season three of arrested development at the flea market

i aint seen it in over a decade but it holds up

Starman Super DX

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i found season one and season three of arrested development at the flea market

i aint seen it in over a decade but it holds up

arrested development will never not hold up. it's the comedy that transcends time.

Tell me more!

byob historian

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Starman Super DX posted:

arrested development will never not hold up. it's the comedy that transcends time.

it didnt hold up in the minds of dumb buttheads in a bored room somewhere way bak when :smith:

apparently it was on netflix or something but i aint ever had netflix so idk

DirtyBear

Starman Super DX posted:

I love when my mind drifts as im driving or whatever and i start to think about arrested development and suddenly get a joke i missed

DirtyBear

even just the name "arrested development" is so good, arrested development has lots of jokes, controversial opinion i know

Starman Super DX

Just saw the Birthday Boys for the first time, a sketch comedy produced by Bob Odenkirk and Ben Stiller. It almost has the feeling of a very mild Whitest Kids u Know, but ultimately more clever. I laughed a lot, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etGqzx_UQbc

Tell me more!

The X-man cometh

Starman Super DX posted:

That's awesome! I'd like to see Plaza do something other than be a pseudo-goth chick and a one-time NBC page on 30 Rock.

She's fantastic as a grumpy nun in The Little Hours, but that's a movie, not a TV show.

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
I like the part when you turn the TV on and it plays a little jingle, it's like "oh hey there buddy, welcome to the TV :D "

precision

by VideoGames
how did i miss 12 oz mouse talk

12 oz mouse is the Lost Highway of adult swim cartoons in the best possible way

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

precision

by VideoGames
Patriot is the best TV show in many years to quote another goon "Burn After Reading meets The Americans" is otm

----------------

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I was very disappointed by Attack on titan season 2. Gosh like it was nothing close to season 1

Starman Super DX

never saw AoT until I watched the first episode of the second season which I enjoyed... until that unnecessarily long scene of that guy being devoured alive :cry: not a fan.

I swear I was enjoying the adult swim/toonami lineup at the beginning of the year for the first time since as long as I can remember- but with Tokyo Ghoul and AoT it just feels like a gore-fest. Tokyo Ghoul wasn't bad either, just again, not really my thing.

they also took off JoJo :mad:

Tell me more!

lmbo calrissian

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Game of Thrones is a gorefest too but its bc of the good drama plots behind it. its meant to evoke consternation and terror, like AoT is v clearly a psych horror genre show yo

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

if i don't get a nice big dose of dougie jones this sunfay i don't know WHAT i'll do

Starman Super DX

lmbo calrissian posted:

Game of Thrones is a gorefest too but its bc of the good drama plots behind it. its meant to evoke consternation and terror, like AoT is v clearly a psych horror genre show yo

I don't watch GoT either lol
there's nothing wrong with gore. I mean I mentioned JoJo before. and Metalocalypse is (or was? idk) a quality show. I just find the type of violence in something like AoT to be upsetting personally. what drew me to it was the more psychological aspects- there's a very clearly defined world, but still with a lot of mystique and secrets that draw you in. kinda like Dark Souls imo.

what I am curious about are the dubious rumors surrounding it and whether or not they're actually true. I've had two people tell me completely different things "it's not about portraying fascism positively at all" and "lol no it totally is". probably not going to read/watch more of it but I do kinda want to know

Tell me more!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

American Gods introduced and killed the 2nd best character on the whole show in one episode. Bryan Fuller, who reworked Hannibal into a grotesque art exhibit, has this TV thing down to a science

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad. I will not bend on this one.

precision

by VideoGames

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

if i don't get a nice big dose of dougie jones this sunfay i don't know WHAT i'll do

Extremely same

byob historian

darth_pizza posted:

Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad. I will not bend on this one.
i wouldnt say its there yet but ill agree that seems to be the direction its headed

Impkins Patootie

ive never seen curb ur enthusiasm all the way thru so I'm thinking about starting that up from the beginning...

AverySpecialfriend

by Hand Knit
steven universe is actually good okay :sax:

----------------

byob historian

King of the Beach posted:

ive never seen curb ur enthusiasm all the way thru so I'm thinking about starting that up from the beginning...

i have never had hbo or netflix cuz i spend all my tv money on more hardware instead of subscriptions so i aint neither but when i have seen curbing my enthousiasmos i aint never seen a bad one

byob historian

AverySpecialfriend posted:

steven universe is actually good okay :sax:

nope

[fixed]  y o u m i s s p e l t g r e a t :colbert: 

DOPE FIEND KILLA G

King of the Beach posted:

you can skip the like first episode cuz it was kind of a weird one off thing with a different format but I can't recommend the rest of the entire series enough, especially with the new season coming up. v funny poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX

curb is good but really only if you absolutely love second-hand embarrassment.
I'm not being sarcastic either, that's just the nature of the show. personally I can't even watch the Scott's Tots episode of The Office without skipping past the disappointed poor kids

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 11, 2017

Tell me more!

• Locked thread