Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Just started watching but it's already better than SAO by virtue of having some kind of idea of what a MMO is rather than a web of contrivances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Four episodes in and it's doing okay. Probably the biggest issue is that while there's a decent understanding of how MMOs work, it's not very good at depicting it. The animation is fine but the action looks a bit generic and feels disconnected at times. Overall, I'd say Log Horizon still manages to be a better.

Also lol 10-year old MMO but people don't get how Ye Xiu is playing or what sort of weapon he's using.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
Watched up to episode 8.

The fights never get all that interesting to watch. The explanation for why Ye Xiu is so powerful makes enough sense that I'm not bothered by it, and it ties in nicely with how it's clear the writer has played or just done the research on MMOs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
I think I'd enjoy it more if Excellent Era's members, other than Su Mucheng, weren't introduced and continually characterized as huge evil jackasses. More buildup to his retirement, more contemplation on pushing out a member of the team who has advised and mentored its own members for years, etc. It'd totally make sense to me if the management did this without consulting the team members, but instead the entire team is in on it.

There's no tension but they are at least building up towards future tension as Missingnoleader said. Ye Xiu's build is powerful at low levels, enough so that it gives him an insane edge over even pros because of it. But the pros typically train and play at the level cap (I assume there might be lower level/level restricted competitive scenes but obviously the max level stuff gets the spotlight) and competing with his record times and dueling Ye Xiu's character aren't happening at the glorious realm of the level cap. They're playing with a limited toolset while he has everything. I assume that later adjustments to unspecialized have made it less dead in the water past level 50 (I think that was the threshold) when the other classes start tapping into their full potential. Even then, unless unspecialized gets to tap into the advanced skills and abilities, he's going to have a much harder time.

But at the moment I'm mostly in it for the journey and the antics. Starting it I was anticipating something better but what ended up happening isn't bad at all. Ye Xiu's reflexes are going to get worse with age so there's an element in keeping himself from getting rusty. He's going with a different build than battle mage so he's not just following the same path as before. He's also gathering and personally mentoring a new team, though I'm not sure where that'll go. So far only Tang Rou seems interested in going pro. Steamed Bun will likely stick to them like a remora but it's unclear if he wants to go pro. I'd assume he'll recruit more people over time.

• Locked thread