Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
THIS SHOW IS NOT A SHOW OF HONOR. GO WATCH SOMETHING ELSE INSTEAD.

OH poo poo IT'S TIME TO UNLEASH THE TALENT YOU GUYS:

America's Got Talent is an NBC competition show, where a variety of singers acts compete against each other to impress America, with a prize of a million bucks and a spot in a Las Vegas show. While you get plenty of singers, you get dancers, magicians, comedians, danger acts, and all sorts of other strangeness. There's a good chance you'll find at least one act to root for / cry over if they get the boot.

Of course, we need some judges and a host.

We have:
-Howie Mandel, comedian/gemophobe from Canada
-Mel B, former Spice Girl and singer from the UK
-Heidi Klum, model from Germany
-Simon Cowell, producer and music man from the UK. Also involved with Britain's Got Talent

Sadly, Nick Cannon resigned his position as the host this year, so we instead have model Tyra Banks taking over.

Auditions begin tonight at 8PM EST, and the show airs Tuesday and Wednesday throughout the summer. Expect a bunch of good acts, bad acts, sob stories / INSPIRATIONAL MOMENTS, and at least one act to go through to the live shows courtesy of a Golden Buzzer by the judges. Look forward to Howie Mandel's pick making it the farthest.

Preview of the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Opr_uoVlF8

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Show has started. If you miss anything, NBC will have it on their site tomorrow.

We already had two women show off their chicken, and it played the piano. Insert twelve inch pianist joke here.

Also, Simon thinking a comedian ad-libbed a joke. Because that's how it works.

Followed up with a singer, an "escape artist", and a brother and sister salsa duo with a "special bond".

Please don't be the anime definition of special.

-Magic man, and a Trump impersonator. Mel is a globalist shill apparently... or is it (((Mel B))) now...

...and this just took a weird turn. Busts out into Bruno Mars. This is acceptable.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 31, 2017

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Puddles Pity Party is the best.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

kazmeyer posted:

Puddles Pity Party is the best.

I definitely have to check out more of his stuff after that. For once, a singer that doesn't make me morose.

And then we end on a ventriloquist...who is actually a kid singer. We've been had God dammit.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

somekindofguy posted:

I definitely have to check out more of his stuff after that. For once, a singer that doesn't make me morose.

And then we end on a ventriloquist...who is actually a kid singer. We've been had God dammit.

He blew up on YouTube this spring with his cover of Pinball Wizard set to the tune of Folsom Prison Blues, but he's got a ton of amazing stuff. Did a cover of Space Oddity with Paul F. Tompkins and his little group, and there's a selfie video of him doing Goldfinger in the darkened backstage halls of a theater that's frankly terrifying. If you find clips of his shows, We Don't Need Another Hero and Under Pressure are particularly good.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

somekindofguy posted:

Definitely good stuff. I hope he goes far. I checked out his videos a few months ago.

Though the look on my buddy's face was priceless when the clown appeared on the screen and I yelled out "Holy gently caress! Puddles!"

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I've been a puddles fan for a while. Check out some of his YouTube vids, they're great.

One of my favs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3O1XojnTag

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Secks posted:

Definitely good stuff. I hope he goes far. I checked out his videos a few months ago.

Though the look on my buddy's face was priceless when the clown appeared on the screen and I yelled out "Holy gently caress! Puddles!"

I might tweak the pacing and add "HOLY gently caress PUDDLES" to my everyday vernacular.

Puddles was good to see. The coin/card magic was well executed. I think I already prefer Tyra over Nick. Overall not a bad premier.

lifts cats over head fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 31, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Was good to see Puddles, but the singing ventriloquist was astounding for her age and the fact that she has only done it for two years.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ping for the next round of auditions tonight. I'm not sure if it's 1 or 2 hours tonight, but same deal as last week. If you miss anything, clips will likely be up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Comments:

-Dog counting to a number by barking. How does one even train a dog like that? By scent?

-Dance act rocking the boat, and then a guy I will refer to as Jason Mraz. Yay mute.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 7, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
loving Justin Bieber knockoff on the guitar, he's definitely going to the finals

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
And we just got a guy dancing with his RealDoll, so there's that.

And...oh, some person on Stormfront just had a stroke.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 7, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Oh FFS now we got 4 years olds seductively dancing to Barbie Girl. I hate their parents

THANK YOU FOR BUZZING SIMON

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I bet the dog counting is a trick. I think she trained the dog to keep barking as long as eye contact was being made or something.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
:gas:

I heard people mention this guy was a YouTube celeb. Not really a Vegas thing, but interesting.

Skating act from the British version of the show. Speaking of which, is the UK version any good? I might want to check it out in the off season.

Child singer. So precious. Finals. gently caress me.

Two speechless muscle bound brothers? What, they aren't going to fuse into one giant muscle man?

Colin the mentalist: Yeah, that totally wasn't planted at all. Kitty though :3:

And of course, we end on a deaf girl with a ukulele. Are we really getting all the golden buzzers stacked with singers again? Piss up a rope Simon.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 7, 2017

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

somekindofguy posted:

And of course, we end on a deaf girl with a ukulele. Are we really getting all the golden buzzers stacked with singers again? Piss up a rope Simon.

NBC's gonna ride this one all the way through to the finals. How'd that other ukulele girl do with her Vegas show?

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

NBC's gonna ride this one all the way through to the finals. How'd that other ukulele girl do with her Vegas show?

Seems like it did well. She was on the Christmas special as well and she's got a full album coming in the future, but we'll have to see if the hype has worn off by then.

We have another two hour episode tonight. Please no more golden buzzer singers thanks

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Show is on. About thirty minutes before a singer, it's been mostly acrobatics to this point.

Singer is a plane crash survivor from Nigeria. Yay finals.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

somekindofguy posted:

We have another two hour episode tonight. Please no more golden buzzer singers thanks

I tuned in just in time to see Heavily Scarred Plane Crash Singer take the stage. I'm sure they pre-screened to make sure she was at least somewhat good, and she has a truly tragic backstory, but can you imagine if she sucked and got an X?

Probably too early in the show for her to get the golden buzzer, though, right? They seem to be saving those for the night's last act.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

A Big Dark Yak posted:

I tuned in just in time to see Heavily Scarred Plane Crash Singer take the stage. I'm sure they pre-screened to make sure she was at least somewhat good, and she has a truly tragic backstory, but can you imagine if she sucked and got an X?

Probably too early in the show for her to get the golden buzzer, though, right? They seem to be saving those for the night's last act.

Even just one judge not being sold on a singer would be a shocker for me. I know some folks have been through legitimately awful poo poo, but it gets drowned out by my "another sob story?" reflex. It's not their fault, I lay that on the show runners for hyping up those types of acts. I would LOVE to see a straight-up good singer without some inspirational or tragic baggage (i.e. Puddles). Given how the stories help the audience connect to acts, I'm not holding my breath.

I would also expect the golden buzzer at the end of the show as well.

Oh hey look, virtual magicians.

EDIT: Is that THE dancing pumpkin man? Cousin of the Rock and Roll Pumpkin? God what hole did he crawl out of?

Question is, can the dance be set to any track?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 14, 2017

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I wonder what's going to happen with this act!

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
gently caress me it's going to happen again. God drat all of the judges.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Calling nerd singer and french magician twins in the finals.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ping for week 4 of the auditions. One more Golden Buzzer from Heidi and maybe one for Tyr as well. One will be a singer. At least.

So does the audience not see this guy is lip syncing? Are we sure he's actually playing the keyboard?

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 21, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This act is literally Illuminate from like 5 years ago. Just with some better lighting tech.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
But you don't understand, this is the best season of AGT ever...

Oh wow, I'm a little surprised right now TBH.
Too bad the non-singing act is a clone of iLuminate. Thanks for breaking it up though Tyra.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

This dude should be arrested for being a creep.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
That was almost too much diddly for Mel and Simon.

And magic guy had to be plants? I didn't catch if he messed with Tyra's phone at all, but that math could be massaged.

Oh hey, I think this guy is a legit Ringling Bros. clown or something. I recall his name from an article a while back.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 21, 2017

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Week 5 of the auditions on tonight. Heidi's golden buzzer as well I'd assume?

So kid magician who wasn't too bad, balancing acts, singing trio and dancing cop. Mixed bag so far.

Yeah, kind of a mixed bag with the dog act and second-chance singer. The Russian guys might at least fill a slot similar to the Kristef brothers.

And we get a magician that was on Fool Us. If you like magic, I would highly recommend that you check it out.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 28, 2017

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I think this the first time I knew someone (puddles pity party) before going on AGT and now it just makes me feel impatient with this show

there's another week of auditions, then best of, then judge cuts start

blah

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I liked the dog act a lot, that dog was stupid cute.

Just replace everything in this show with dogs imo.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I really liked the three old gentlemen singing harmonies and Mel B writing her name wrong. "It is spelled B"

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Last week of audition shows tonight, then we move on to judge cuts for a few weeks with some guest judges.

One thing that strikes me is how Tyra seems to be more out of the way than Nick is as a host. She hasn't really gotten involved with too many of the acts, has she?

EDIT: GOD drat ALL OF THESE JUDGES

Done with the show for tonight. Enjoy.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 12, 2017

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Okay, singers aside, tonight begins four weeks of "Judge Cuts". Each week, 20 or so acts perform and are whittled down to the set that go on the live shows. We also get a series of guest judges, who have a Golden Buzzer of their own. Last year, the guests ended up picking non-singing acts, so I'm hoping that holds this year.

First up is Chris Hardwick of various nerd things. Sadly, no one will be getting points.

EDIT: Bog standard so far tonight, but Pumpkin Man is on if you want to see.

"Fifty points to Gryffyndor"...I stand corrected. Property damage for a trick was neat though.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 19, 2017

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Chris Hardwick is a horse fucker. See you next week.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just replace Howie with Hardwick. Or get rid of Howie and don't replace him at all.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Round 2 of Judge Cuts tonight. Three more singers coming?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well there's nothing else on tonight.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
DJ Khaled is a horsefucker. Goodnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I was hoping DJ Khaled would keep hitting the Golden Buzzer for every act while yelling ANOTHER ONE over and over.

• Locked thread