Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i worked in film for almost a decade. i would echo the advice that you should not bother with film school. if you want to make it you need to get somewhere with a significant industry (if you have no experience i'd skip los angeles and new york and try atlanta, vancouver, new orleans or toronto) and sign up at the iatse union hall for every category you can plausibly do. once you get a call show up on time, work hard, be nice to EVERYONE no matter how insignificant they might seem and prove you can take instruction and get things done with minimum supervision. at that point you should start making friends. it's pretty easy to move from something like construction (where any warm body can get a job) to the art department or lighting & rigging where you can start to make connections with people who can get you close to production if that's your ultimate goal. be prepared to work 80 hour weeks and to have to pick up shifts bartending when things get slow

incidentally, i'm a programmer now and i make twice what i made in film (in a key below the line position) working a third as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread