Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm a 30 year old male working as a bartender in a college city making around $35,000-$40,000 a year. I don't want to do this with my life and stuck around for a while because of the money and my friends. I also had a mild drinking problem that I killed off, been sober for 6 months. Anyways, long story short, I'm looking at going back to school and it's majorly been on my mind. I went to the local university about 10 years ago but didn't have my poo poo together and dropped out (I was 19 years old at the time). Now, I don't want to work until 3AM five nights a week and want to be able enough money to do things like buy my own house (and not live with 2 other dudes) and support a future (hypothetical) family.

AKA, it's time to grow up.

The biggest thing I'm looking at is majoring in Film/Digital Film and minoring in Graphic Design. I already do graphic design on the side for my bar and any business/friend that needs something from me, mostly flyers. Although, honestly I consider myself less of a graphic designer and more of knowing my way around Photoshop and being able to combine ideas into a graphic as opposed to making something actually super original. Film was what I was originally looking at going into when I was a teenager, but the school didn't have much of a program back then and I just was a dumb rear end teenager.

Fast forward now, UCA has a great film program. Talked in detail with one of my friends who just graduated in Theater from there and he put over the Film department quite a lot. Saying that a lot of people are skipping over schools in New York to come to central rear end Arkansas to do Film. I've always messed around with film projects, doing things like small weddings for friends or small projects. Or stuff like my short lived YouTube cooking series (https://www.pearcemealprep.com). The stuff is easy to me, I just haven't done anything with it. But, I feel like I'm robbing myself out of a good living.

One of my other friends graduated a year ago from UCA in Film and he found a great job he's gone full time with doing commercial work. Started at $45k a year, his friends have moved up to $55k in the one year they've been there. They get to travel and shoot fun projects. That doesn't sound bad!

Admittedly, this idea started coming back to my head after I saw how much a Digital Media Producer makes ($80k+). Noticed the Cincinnati Bengals had an internship available.....I'm sure I could work my way to Philadelphia :p.

I thought about the idea of...

Computer Science
+ Guaranteed good job right out of the gate ($60k)
+ Could be a natural evolution of my computer skills
- Not so sure about the idea of being trapped behind a desk
- I don't like math, one of my weakest subjects despite being placed in advanced classes growing up)

Nutrition
+ Have taken a great interest to it in reshaping my life style and transforming my own body and health
- Chemistry was by FAR my worst subject

But I feel like I need to stick to what I already know and enjoy.

Anybody have Film degrees around here that regret or don't regret it?

89 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
My biggest fear with going back for a degree is a poo poo ton of debt. But I feel I'd excel at the top of my classes in digital film.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
And it seems that in Film, a degree isn't exactly NEEDED. But, I figure the invaluable amount of networking, working with professional equipment, and running on deadlines/grades might make it worth the tuition.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I'm not necessarily trying to be The Director. I just enjoy the production part of everything. Now, there was a commercial I shot wayyy back when I was in high school where I came up with the commercial, the script, I picked the actors, had them read my lines, I filmed it personally. And then edited it myself and the power was perhaps a little...intoxicating, it did make me feel good.

But, the production part sounds soooooo much better than slinging $1 vodka cranberries until 3AM.

My buddy encouraged me to go for Digital Film over just Film as dudes are walking off the graduating podium with jobs before they even step a foot off that stage.

But even from a production stand point, I've always been interested in being the lighting guy for concerts and events. That's always fascinated me.

• Locked thread