Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Cross posting from the stupid questions thread, because I have stupid AC questions.

My air con (99 Pathfinder) isn't working, the guy I bought it from last year said it was, but was probably lying and I couldn't check till the weather got warm.

The heater works and I can blow lots of air out of the vents but there's no cool at all. Air con fuse under the dash is fine. 

I tapped (very briefly) the two valves with a screwdriver on the Freon not freon lines and both hissed with a bit of green poo poo and therefore were under at least some pressure/freon not freon going on. 

What should I be checking next? Compressor/clutch check and then...?

Is there a step by step for poor stupid people to troubleshooting AC before I give my mechanic money I don't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cool. And of there's dye in there I'll just need a black light to spot leaks?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Enourmo posted:

Right. Most parts shops sell them bundled with the uv blocking safety glasses you'll want.

Apparently you can turn a smartphone into a black light with some cellophane and blue, purple sharpies.

I'm gonna borrow an actual backlight, if only to see if it works.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Motronic posted:

Those are York compressors, and the only time you'll find one on a vehicle anymore is because someone is using it for onboard air to run tools and fill tires.

Really common in sandy areas/prickly areas eg Australia where you need to delate/inflate constantly when you hit patchs of sand and/or when just considering leaving the marked roads causes tires to fill with stakes and explode. Usually combined with split rims and inner tubes.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
So I had a mechanic check my system and the compressor works fine, and barring a pressure sensor not working its likely the problem is low pressure. I also know there's some pressure in the lines, so hopefully just needs some more coolant.

Instead of paying $2-300 for a mechanic is there any reason not to buy a canister of coolant and feed it in a little at a time until the clutch kicks in?

• Locked thread