Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

True, there still could be a similar gimmick but maybe something the player character doesn't have direct control of. I can almost guarantee there's going to be some kind of mechanic or else there won't be much of a game (this is still kind of pointless to begin with seeing as we already know how this is going to end, but maybe they'll find some way to make it interesting).

Well in the first game we saw a butterfly come to symbolize Max's branching realities through rewinding time, aka the butterfly effect. This game appears to prominently feature a raven, which are commonly associated with prophecy in many cultures. So maybe the gimmick of this game will be seeing glimpses into the future and trying to figure out how your decisions in the present will affect them. Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

LawfulWaffle posted:

The prophecy angle could be kind of meta, seeing how most people who will play Life is 2trange would be familiar with the original and therefor playing the game with the knowledge of these characters' future. Will players make decisions that seem to go against the interests of Chloe because they know how it will benefit her in a different game? Even something like the other girl, Rachel, having powers but not telling Chloe, setting up some classic tragic irony.

The original Life is Strange did suggest that Max was creating all these fractured realities with her time powers, so maybe they'll do something with that concept and have some alternate timelines going.

Or maybe they'll ignore all that stuff and just do teenage rebel waifu simulator.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's just not a whole lot to go on right now. I'm hopeful but at the same time I have the feeling that this is just gonna be some second-rate knockoff. Knowing Life is Strange fans though somebody has probably already figured out the entire plot and subtext from those few short images alone and posted it to youtube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So has anybody told Microsoft they used one of gaming's biggest venues to promote an honest to god redpiller?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Many games already offer nuanced and challenging social commentary so it feels like we're having this conversation 10 years ago.

I mean you're not going to find it in an Ubisoft game but that's kind of by design.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

https://twitter.com/ashly_burch/status/874344938627977216

RIP After Life Is Strange 2 : The Legend of Max's Gold.

Yeah, my interest in this dropped immediately. Hella RIP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That looks like a nice sturdy box for a cat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Please be advised that as of 12:01 a.m. PT on Friday, Oct. 21, SAG-AFTRA is on strike against the following video game employers with regard to all games that went into production after Feb. 17, 2015: ​
Activision Publishing, Inc.
Blindlight, LLC
Corps of Discovery Films
Disney Character Voices, Inc.
Electronic Arts Productions, Inc.
Formosa Interactive, LLC
Insomniac Games, Inc.
Interactive Associates, Inc.
Take 2 Interactive Software
VoiceWorks Productions, Inc.
WB Games, Inc.

These companies appear to be having absolutely zero problems finding voice actors, though, so...

I'm guessing that Activision doesn't include Blizzard since I know all the Overwatch VAs have been gainfully employed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For those of you who don't follow Overwatch, the voice cast are all huge loving nerds and put out videos of themselves hanging out + doing dumb in-character stuff all the time. It's seriously cringe, yet also kind of awesome at the same time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a shame that Injustice 2 is up there, they have a bunch of new fighters about to be released and they won't be able to have character-specific callouts or updated voice lines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't own a Switch but I thought Nintendo put on a good show. Mario Odyssey looks fun. I'll be happy with HZD and Uncharted DLC to close out 2017. On the indie side, I hope Hellblade and Tacoma end up being good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I remember seeing a review for The Guy Game. It got like a 8 or 9 out of 10 and I was like how the hell.

Then I saw that it was a review by Tommy Tallarico.

And that's when I first learned about collusion

With knowledge like that, you may be more qualified to become the next Attorney General of the United States.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Playing through Horizon and I really appreciate how useful the armament is. I keep going into combat encounters thinking that my bow will be enough and then leaning on my spear when things go tits up, but every time I die and try the encounter again I sprinkle in some rope ties, trip wires and elemental bombs and it goes a lot smoother. The rope caster alone has really helped me trivialize otherwise lethal battles. Watching the Monster Hunter World footage reminds me of that same feeling. Not because the hunter uses different weapons, but because a straight fight is a losing battle.

A ropecaster with triple handling % mods is godly.

Larryb posted:

Apparently there's going to be a deluxe addition of LiS: Before the Storm that includes a bonus episode staring Max (though after the recent news regarding Chloe I'm not holding my breath on Hannah Telle coming back), which could be interesting.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-13-life-is-strange-prequels-max-based-bonus-episode-is-a-deluxe-edition-exclusive

As for the new footage, while defintely not Ashly doing Chloe's voice (she is apparently part of the writing team though) the replacement isn't too terrible (I can't tell if Frank's voice is still the same guy though). This doesn't look too bad so far though so it might still be worth checking out.

This is something I really, really have to wait for reviews on. Life is Strange was such an in the moment kind of phenomenon and the more I read about the prequel, the more concerns I have that it can be any good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Former Konami employees being referred to as Ex-Kons is just too good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's something undeniably cool about "this thing we said would never happen is going to happen" in all forms of media so I'm 100% for devs not always being truthful as long as the thing they're concealing is awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Inquisition's combat didn't bother me all that much. It wasn't great but it was extremely easy to break.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

babypolis posted:

i heard it got better with dlc but at release it was nothing but mindless button mashing even on the hardest difficulty. the only way to get some meaningful challenge was to fight stuff much higher level than you at which point you realize that tactical planning is completely impossible due to the horrid overhead camera

It has some vestiges of old-school CRPGs but it's really more like an MMO that you just do your own thing in while occasionally ordering your party members to drink a potion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Every good bad game has to mention its own name at some point in the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Everybody knows that butts are the new boobs in gaming

If Lara Croft were invented today she would be super thicc instead of just having gigantic bazongas.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Team-based competitive gaming was a mistake.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

homeless snail posted:

It's a design problem. Designers need to be more mindful of what kind of lens their mechanics will encourage other players to be viewed through, IMO. At least if they're trying to make a social game. It's probably okay in Hardcore Electronic Sports Games for that lens to continue to be "I'm not bad at this game, it's just that I got put on a team with human garbage" as it tends to be now.

While there are things you can do to mitigate it, I think the structure of team-based competition itself will just always make it easier and very convenient to displace blame onto others, usually strangers on the internet that you don't care about. I think this manifests in the overall tone and discussion of the game itself even, if you compare the way FG/RTS players talk about themselves to say a MOBA community. There's a certain learned humility that comes from getting beat down in 1v1 over and over again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Johnny Cage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are lots of fighting game dads, probably the highest incidence of all genres.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

babypolis posted:

i mean team sports are also filled with whiny assholes so i dont see how this problem is unique to gaming

It's not, but the ease at which you can be an rear end in a top hat to some disembodied voice over the internet doesn't help.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Javik was a good character and it's criminal that he was relegated to DLC because he played a critical role in underpinning a lot of ME3's themes, such as they were.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That era when significant story components of a story-heavy RPG were gated behind DLC paywalls on day one of release was a very dark time.

I guess Final Fantasy 15 just did it but Square is always 5 years behind so it still lines up

Pre-order the deluxe edition to receive our Inciting Incident pack complete with the destruction of your childhood village. Standard version users get a title card and screen wash.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Playing a bad game isn't like watching a bad movie where you can laugh at it for 90 minutes and be done, most of the time they're also horrible mechanically or just plain boring for hours upon hours. I can't think of a single bad game that ever encouraged me to keep playing. Well, besides Deadly Premonition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd never call TLOU bad even if I hated everything about the gameplay, the production values, writing and story are too high. It's not campy enough to take you out of the action unlike, again, Deadly Premonition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

why isn't Overwatch F2P yet?

It's one of the best selling games ever and the most popular non-F2P multiplayer game in the world.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hey guys I dunno maybe I'm the first person to point this out but... Minecraft looks like an N64 game! The graphics are terrible! I mean have you SEEN video games recently?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Which SC2 is the best one?

Star Citizen 2, coming December 2037.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hot take: The rapping rabbit game looked embarrassingly bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was aight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Days Gone feels like it's coming out 5 years too late. The zombie pikmin aspect they showcased could be pretty amusing but that was about the only unique thing about the entire presentation. Sony was just pretty average this year but EA, MS and Bethesda were so much worse that I couldn't call it bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Spider-man does nothing for me personally but I could see a lot of people getting hype over the showcase. "It's just like Arkham" might be a disparaging comment around here but all those games sold a bazillion copies and the average video game player is probably going mbison yes to that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All action games are kind of like QTEs when you think about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

We must pay homage to the first game to expertly weave the RPG and QTE aspects together into one coherent whole, the greatest one and only Shenmue.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dad of War was probably the most interesting of the AAA Sony exclusives. Never cared for the series up to this point but it looks to have something special going on. Also Uncharted / Horizon DLC that I'll definitely be getting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

A critical error on Sony's part not showing any games higher than an A2 (Anime 2)

Kind of a huge oversight to make the central focus of Spider-man a dude and not an EGL sexbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Palpek posted:

Did they reveal anything about the HZD dlc?

Not a whole lot so far but here are the basics:

- "Continues the story" of Horizon, whether that's strictly post-game like Blood & Wine for TW3 or can be done at any point is up in the air.
- Takes place in Banuk territory with a "hefty" chunk of side content.
- New machines, new weapons, definitely some new megaboss.
- It's 20bux or 15 with PSN discount. Releases this year.

• Locked thread