Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken 7 immediately bummed me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's no tutorials or anything. Also the online is basically SFV with Tekken gameplay at the other end, so I'm willing to put up with it but it suckssssssss assssss

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Even though there's some layers of annoyance to play T7...holy poo poo this game is fun. It also seems much easier to learn than a anime game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's an amazing amount of good fighting games coming out on steam so it's not a problem at all :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only thing that matters about a fight, is who's left standing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All those busted rear end SNK final boss god enemies that were programmed to be functionally unbeatable and just take quarters are cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ive never been able to beat this piece of poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FF2 is a pretty cool game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

All fighting games are incredibly bad at showing players what's actually important in the tutorials.

Guilty Gear's is good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I've been fooling around a bit with Civ VI today, and I came to a realization: my favourite parts of those games are when I unlock ocean travel and start exploring, and then settle cities on uninhabited islands. Is there a game whose whole shtick is exploration and colonization? (Meaningful exploration that is, not just No Man's Sky poo poo)

Stellaris, if you're ok with it being sci-fi exploration and colonization

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Injustice 2 has a really nice and detailed practice mode with all sorts of configurations and stuff like frame info but if you just memorized the movelist you would never understand how the game is all about stringing combos together or knowing what initiators are safe vs. unsafe or any other number of things. You still have to go to TYM or some other external source to see what each character's BnB strings are unless you're just so naturally talented at FGs that you could figure it all out yourself.

Injustice 2 having the frame data in it is great and I wish every game had that. Their character specific tutorials aren't great though, yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

In terms of getting a good sense of what all the characters do and the most common moves you're going to run into, at least they give you that so you can go into a fight with at least some kind of gameplan. Like, I have a good sense of what I'm going up against with all 30 characters and that probably took me maybe a couple hours in tutorials. I feel like for Tekken that will at least be 20 hours just to get the character archetypes straight

I am jealous of Guilty Gear's training mode, from what I've seen in videos, though

Well the thing with Tekken is that there's one archetype at least, and the archetype is Tekken Guy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The complete lack of info at all in the new game blows though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

Im just gonna main like katarina or whatever and press 4 until something clicks with tougher chars

im doing something similar but just using Kazumi and spamming tigers

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Terraformars is the cockroaches on Mars anime

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really liked demon souls, dark souls 1+2, and especially blood borne

I am finding it really hard to muster up the effort to buy dark souls 3

3 is a much better game than 2, but nowhere near as good as Bloodborne. Can't wait for their next project

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

For real these chapters were the best, my dad watches the anime with me and I cooked him that whole meal just before we watched that episode

Thats a really cool thing to do for your dad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Looper posted:

Tacos are for people who don't charge $7 for something three inches wide

*starts chuckling*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who can forget the lonely pomme frites

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken is so flipping good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't play fighting games, what makes it stand out?

Well honestly in terms of feature set it's actually worse than practically every other competitor on the market and apparently the online is just flat out broken on console, but it's the first Tekken I've ever played, and it has an absolutely fantastic free form combo system that lets you mix and match some moves. With just like 15 minutes in training mode you can put together a combo of your own and feel like you found out something cool. It obviously won't be optimal but it's yours, which is more important. And the netcode is great once you're actually in a match after the like, minutes of load times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't mind a procedurally generated dungeon or two but it's dumb that all the enemies in Mementos are like 10 levels lower than you and there's no reason to fight any of them, ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I only sell games for which I had the utmost contempt

This. The only game I've ever sold to gamestop was the Vita Assassin's Creed game that came with the console bundle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well, I have sold hardware in the past when upgrading it. Like GBA->SP, 3DS->N3DS etc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like having hardware for playing older games i havent touched before. Like I still somewhat regularly play PS1/2 games on my PS2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fighting games outside of blazblue didn't have story modes until like MK9 sold a billion copies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played the Bouncer today. Unfairly maligned game IMO.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

It's not bad but it's kinda nothing.

I stopped when I got to a boss fight and it still didn't feel like I was doing anything other than mashing.

You can unlock new moves that let you do rudimentary combos but I beat the entire game with the same two moves in 70 minutes of in game time. It's simple and stupid but it's cool seeing the earliest kernel of what square was going to wind up doing with the PS2 hardware. It's drat near a downright scam as a full price product though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play Death By Degrees

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The pokemon announcement was Pokken Tournament DX for the Switch.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, and there were characters that only came to arcade in Japan so this makes more sense than releasing a paid update for a version no one will probably ever play again.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Get well soon Lawful Waffle!! :)

What characters were Japanese arcade exclusive?

Empoleon, Darkrai, Scizor I believe. I havent kept up with Pokken, Ive never played it. I was just aware of it through osmosis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Red Bones posted:

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming out November 17th, too. It's very unclear what the games actually are, though. DLC? Totally new releases? It's meant to be an "alternate story" to Sun and Moon.

Im assuming they're basically like Black and White 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

iirc they got mad because they changed a frame of animation to not be a panty shot or something

Then they should check out Guilty Gear where Jam is a panty shot machine and its also a much better game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

:staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Splatoon's continued support was awesome. I hope Splatoon 2 is the same way but I wonder if since it's a proven quantity and has an established audience they will think it's OK to start charging people for DLC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Am I going to miss anything super important if I look up "worst episodes of season 2" and just skip those? I understand that there are a lot of callbacks in the new stuff but I don't generally see the value in spending hours on end watching something I don't enjoy.

Just watch the whole show it's not even that long

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

I mean, we've had plenty of examples of female leads and non white dude leads, it's just that games companies have become so incredibly risk-averse that things that would have flown back in the day suddenly don't anymore.

where is beyond good and evil 2 ubisoft you fucks

Do you actually want Ubisoft to make that game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Michel Ancel is good

Isn't he making his own game separately ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The trade press in film industry has been able to report on film earnings with relative accuracy for over a century, yet video game sales numbers are still determined by black magic and Sean Spicer-levels of press obfuscation

That stuff is largely made up too.

• Locked thread