Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ometeotl posted:

I mean, you can see the gameplay right now. Judge it on that and not the dev's past. MoF never looked good and that certainly didn't have Nintendo overseeing development.

Yeah it looks a little better later into the game but still kind of I dunno... dull?

They made the metroid battles seem fun and interesting, at least. On the other hand, they are way longer now and the thought of doing them 40 times seems like it could get tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

YAM2R - yet another metroid 2 remake

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

windows 10 crossplay or whatever the heck its called will always be a failure to me as long as rare replay isn't on it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

Metroid games should not have more words beyond "Morph Ball Acquired"

People seem to forget that Super Metroid had a an unskippable monologue outlining the story so far the moment you start the game and it actually owned.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

oddium posted:

they should make a whole game of metroid prime scanning without combat. and ghosts are there too

fatal frame already exists though

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Saint Freak posted:

It was very unrealistic that one action could actually set the whole galaxy at peace.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The last metroid is in captivity.

The galaxy is at peace.

idk if you guys think this is what I meant or not. just so we're clear, I wasn't talking about the "last metroid" text

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

babypolis posted:

one of the first and greatest uses of voice acting

people say the universe is a star ocean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIiPiXjsZSk

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

what is it like being this humble?

https://twitter.com/AM2Rgame/status/874701004092166145

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Well I beat Dust: An Elysian Tail. It really pumped up the bad furry art in the late-game.

Also the ending sucked. Oh well. Game was pretty fun besides!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm excited for Bloodstained and it's going to be good

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

i really want bloodstained to be good

it will be!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The last good one I've played was Axiom Verge and boy it was hella good

mutata posted:

(Not the graphics or art direction though.)

Yeah probably.

I want to say that it won't matter to me but that's probably not the case because the art style of Zero Mission is one of the reasons why I don't like it as much as I should.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kinda wish they were using 2D graphics but maybe that's just me Being Old about it

no you're correct actually

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

igavania games in order of best to worst

- Dawn
- Symphony
- Aria and Order (tie)
- Harmony
- Portrait
- Circle

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Looper posted:

I think I agree with this but still hate the grind encouraged by the soul crafting

Maybe? The first time I played Dawn/Aria I didn't grind souls at all and had a good time. It's not really something you have to do unless you want to become overpowered.

I guess you're out of luck if you're an obsessive completionist though.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't agree with it, Dawn sucked and I almost quit before finishing it. I was so tired of the soul mechanic after doing it and Aria back to back.

Dawn of Sorrow is the greatest Castlevania game. objective fact :colbert:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

Tying weapon strength to Souls

maybe I'm misremembering the game because I haven't played it in like ten years but what does this mean?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

Anyway regardless Symphony of the Night is obviously the best one come on

I can't get behind your hate for Dawn, but this is an opinion I can support.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Regy Rusty posted:

Unlike good castlevania games, barely any weapons in Dawn are found lying around. You have to synthesize them with souls, with ones that will be any good whatsoever for damaging late game enemies and bosses requiring rare soul drops. You could not avoid grinding souls just to get the tools needed to progress and I hated it.

Lol what? Yes you can synth weapons with souls, but the notion that there aren't good ones laying around or to be bought with normal money is nonsense dude.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Genya Arikado

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

all this talk reminds me of the boss battle music from dawn of sorrow that sounds like it was ripped from mega man 7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBKM5F89MVE

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Dawn was garbage because of the dumbass touchscreen integration you had to do in order to kill a boss; my hate for it is partly because I only played it emulated and the touchscreen functionality was iffy but I had to refight that stupid clocktower boss like five times because it wouldn't take the inputs

gently caress dawn of sorrow, Order is by far the best castlevania

:lol: okay buddy

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nate RFB posted:

I've felt that when all the cards are on the table, Order of Ecclesia is my favorite Castlevania. SotN is an amazing game but there is so much god drat bloat and it's just an overall rather rough experience to revisit, most notably in the difficutly department where clearly they had not figured out how to scale enemies with the new leveling system to not make everything a joke in the second half. OoE has the best overall challenge and gameplay of the rest, with even the bonus of not having the medicore art of Dawn/Portrait. In the end I love all of the IGAvanias except for Harmony but OoE will always be my #1.

But that said the reasons I like those games and other, traditional Castlevanias are so far apart that I feel it's a lot more fair to categorize them as such. For the other set my favorite has to be Rondo of Blood.

Another thing about SotN is that it's kind of sluggish to get around in, especially once you get to the inverted castle. Mind, none of the games are particularly "fast" but navigating from place to place is just kind of boring in SotN and I feel that the quick travel rooms could be placed a little better. Long corridors become fun once you get the wolf powerup though. Richter is a little more bearable to play in this regard because he can slide and dash.

Circle of the Moon is weird because, while Nathan can run, the warp rooms have really awkward placement so it kind of cancels out.

Phantasium posted:

Yeah IV is a good introduction to the original games, if only because it's easier.

Don't expect whip movement to come back in a meaningful way, though.

I feel the same about Simon Castlevania IV as I do about Samus in Super Metroid. Developers went way above and beyond to make sure your character is the most agile they've ever been in the series and has more moves than they probably need. Then, for reasons unknown, they were taken away in later games never to be seen again.

Richter was pretty slick in SotN with his dash jumping and backflips, but he still could only whip parallel to the ground.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Please watch Car Boys. The entire series. The ending is outstanding.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I've started playing E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy. What the gently caress even is this

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

E.Y.E is loving weird. Every time something happens I have no idea what caused it or why.

"Make no waves."

"I told you not to make waves!"

The game doesn't actually expect me to be stealthy, does it? It seems absolutely impossible. Enemies know where I am instantly!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

What are people's desert island game?

probably fallout new vegas

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm not playing E.Y.E anymore. You have to walk like ten miles between objectives and fight your way through mobs of infinitely-spawning enemies along the way. Also you think you're going in the right direction the first time? WRONG. Backtrack for five minutes and find another route! There's no quick saving and I ran out of respawns near the end of one long and confusing mission and have to do it again.

gently caress this game.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

I really have never understood why people like EYE. It's like you're playing a video game version of a fever dream.

It's apparently fun co-op but I have no friends to play terrible games with.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Guy Mann posted:

You can disable the enemy respawning in the game's options. The difficulty is also really variable in general if you poke around there.

I'll check it out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I tend to be Bad At Video Games so randos don't really like playing with me. I've given up on trying to have a good time playing Age of Empires 2 online. Most of my friends play games I can't really get into (MMORPGS, fighting games) or new games I don't have the hardware/money to play and I tend to not like playing competitively anyway and prefer doing co-op campaigns and poo poo. This kind of limits my options :shrug:

The last time I had a lot of fun playing a multiplayer game was when my girlfriend and I went through RE5 and 6 on 360 a few years ago.

I really miss having roommates and firing up the GameCube for some 4 player Double-Dash :sigh:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The official Four Job Fiesta run has concluded and the Fiesta will begin any time now! Hold on to your socks!

Every time this shows up I think I should participate but then forget about it.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what the FJF gimmick even is supposed to be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Well good news! You can still participate once it's begun, without preregistration! The gimmick is that you play through FFV and each time you reach one of the crystals, you tweet to Gilgabot, who will assign you a job. You will end up with four jobs, and those are the only ones you can use for the whole game. Limitations breed creativity, and it's a lot of fun trying to figure out how your different jobs' skills can carry over and how they affect your strategies throughout the game.

#fifthjob

this sounds like it owns actually. I only ever played through ff5 once (GBA version) like four years ago and had a lot of fun.

Is there a thread?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That Dragon Ball FighterZ game looks incredibly sick as hell and makes me sad that I can't get into fighting games.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

Just start playing

It's not like I haven't tried before

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Real hurthling! posted:

This time on discord with people regularly

But just a few pages ago this was considered "like the worst advice"!

Who do I believe??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

How can you all forget the original Best Game Dad?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Today I had a job interview and it went really good!.. but as I was walking back to the car I realized my fly was down the whole time :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay I decided to start playing Morrowind for the first time ever. Everyone walks like they poo poo their pants!

What are some:
- General good tips for a first-timer like me?
- Recommended mods? Quality of life stuff mostly, such as item ownership indicators so I know when I'm stealing or not. I'm not interested in things that improve graphics or whatever, though I will take anything that gives me more resolutions/ARs
- Recommended races, classes, skills?
- Races, classes and skills to avoid?

For reference the only games I've played so far that are remotely close to this are Fallouts 1 - 3 and NV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This rules, thanks!

Also thanks for the other tips too everyone. For a short test run I put everything into all magic skills and I kept whiffing the little slugs near the starting town.

• Locked thread