Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

i wish there was an hd rerelease of metal arms

i remember that game being really good but you need a better pc than i have to emulate it these days, and i'd like to play it with mouse aim

I remember that game being pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I like that a couple of months or so ago I set out to play my backlog of games I've never really played before and seventeen games in I hit "Elder Scrolls, The III: Morrowind" and have been playing it for 20 hours and counting because I'm having so much fun.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jay Rust posted:

But where did Mario first meet Peach??

In another castle

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chomp8645 posted:

Playing Morrowind in the modern day is refreshing because it takes gamers back to a time when games didn't hold their hand for every little thing while whispering in their ear how special they are. I didn't play it until 2014 or so and I was blown away by how it treats the player. I had forgotten what the old games were like. I joined the mages guild early and trying to imagine those novice quests being put into a new game in tyool 2017 is just incredibly lol.

Mages Guild Quest 1: "Oh you're my new intern? Greeaaat. Go across the street and buy me a bowl you idiot"

*Quickly returns* "I got the bowl, boss!"

Mages Guild Quest 2: "Already? Fine, I need some flowers or whatever, go find some. No I'm not giving you directions. Jesus just stay out there longer this time"

And this progressed until you became a valued member at a pace that was organic and natural. You climbed the ranks. Compare it to Skyrim where nobody will stop gushing about how awesome you are from minute 1 and you become guild leader in like four quests. I also really appreciated the lack of a quest marker. Getting quest directions that were like "ok, start from this town and make your way north on the road. When it forks, take the road east until it crests a hill then look northest for the den" was HELLA COOL. Because you actually followed roads and checked out your environment and actually explored the world. Much better than beelining to a pre-marked destination and playing Cliff Horse Reloaded to get there.

I think that's part of what makes this game is just so satisfying. It scratches an itch I never realized I had.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

just lol if you don't junction 100 hastes to speed in ff8 and finish battles in single digit seconds

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

Xenoblade Chronicles and FfF13 are the only one where I really cared about buffs and debuffs. In most JRPGs I played most aside from poison or stun aren't very useful or are poorly implemented. Taking advantage of status effects in Xenoblade and FF13 really gives you an edge.

Also this

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 28, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Grapplejack posted:

FF8 is the best final fantasy.

It's like FF5 in that the plot is garbage but who cares because the mechanics are original and fun to break

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PantsBandit posted:

I'm really not a JRPG fan but playing Tales of Berseria I was like "wooooah JRPGs can actually have fun gameplay, maybe I just hate turn-based poo poo"

This is reinforced by the fact that I liked everything about Pokemon Sun and Moon except for the combat.

Play Xenoblade Chronicles (the original, not XC X)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

chumbler posted:

Play XC X as well.

Yeah didn't mean to imply that it's bad. I just haven't played it and didn't want to recommend something I wasn't sure was good or not.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

This is my favourite

All of the strong attacks in FF8 are just so over the top. It's great.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I heard they brought back Triple Triad for FF14, that would be the biggest incentive for me to go check it out

Didn't FF11 have Tetra Master? I'm glad they switched that garbage card game out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Just play Lufia II if you want Golden Sun's neat puzzle dungeon gameplay without the bad "seven hundred million lines of dialogue" plot

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sweetgrass posted:

this is good gaming advice in general

:agreed: actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Mistle posted:

This, more or less. It scratched the jrpg grind itch and looked nice for the gba.

As for games with good status play, nobody mentioned FFT/FFTA? I can't speak for FFT, as I never played it(blasphemy, I know), but in FFTA, not only were status effects big on limiting options and countering strategies, but the law system sometimes came out of nowhere to stiff you on a conflict.

I don't remember status effects being all that useful in FFT except for anything that affects whether you can execute commands or how often (i.e. sleep/stop/slow/haste)

• Locked thread