Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

nothing turns me off some streamer's videos like the "HEYYYYYY GUYS AND GIRLS THIS IS YA BOY PRECISION WITH ANOTHER MASTER CLASS SPEED RUN NO ITEM FINAL DESTINATION INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEO SHOUT OUT TO MY SPONSOR SHITBOX"

i wont listen to any podcast that starts with an ad. have some loving dignity jesus loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

Yeah, aside from loving Operation Flashpoint many years ago I've not been an arma lover. I enjoyed some of the stories etc from DayZ but it was laborious to play (similar to my thoughts on EVE).

Had a quick look online and many people say it's fun to play and a way better game than DayZ etc but then there was an article on RPS basically saying 'nope it's still bad like DayZ is for this writer, and the players suck'. Wondered if people cared here since there was no thread I could see and it might be cool in teams of 2/3.

Keep in mind that RPS writers are legendary for being bad at videogames and that probably colors their review of a multiplayer game. Im reminded of the guy who wrote the Blood and Wine review who though mutagens were bugged because he didnt know how to use them lol

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

All comic book plots are inherently absurd, but the only ones that really annoy me are those that demand to be taken with the utmost sincerity.

comic books baffle me because I cant think of any artistic medium that comes even close to the way comics continually retread the same stories and characters over and over again. Like if movies were like comic books we would all be awaiting the release of Citizen Kane 17: Crisis of the Infinite Kanes

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Blackfyre posted:

Oh man I'm out of touch, thought RPS was meant to be ok. I don't often read it anymore as I found there were a lot of fluff pieces I wasn't interested in so generally just see articles when looking up info on a specific game.

Welp guess I might have to use this voucher then to give it a punt!

Goon opinions has really turned on them yeah. I dont think they are THAT bad but they do miss the point quite frequently

Serf posted:

I've yet to see a journalist who was good at a videogame in the sense that we've come to expect from streamers and youtube and whatnot. But I reckon they don't really need to be.

They dont need to be pro players but I feel like at least a decent level of understanding of game design and logic is neccesary to be a good reviewer. Like if you review a game and say "such and such was confusing and badly designed" but then it turns out the design was perfectly fine and it was you being a moron, thats a failure as a critic

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

lol I love China's blatant disregard for copyright.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

there's literally a kung fu panda picture in there. and a sylvester stallone

dont forget stripper mercy and stripper mcree

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I mean, as far as advertising goes, it's better than virtually ever commercial I can remember having to sit through, or flash ads, or Facebook sidebar ads, or the godawful ones that I have to see on the subway every morning.

thats what makes it worse

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Watching Jack from redlettermedia play the Witcher 3 is amazing. It's both an entertaining and horrifying experience

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah i aint gonna feel too bad for a guy that died peacefully and surrounded by his family at 88. we all gotta die someday and it doesnt get any better than that

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It's not about his death it's about how the loss hurts others, sheesh.

the people who are truly hurt by his passing dont give even an infinitesimal fraction of a gently caress about what we think

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Larryb posted:

True, there still could be a similar gimmick but maybe something the player character doesn't have direct control of. I can almost guarantee there's going to be some kind of mechanic or else there won't be much of a game (this is still kind of pointless to begin with seeing as we already know how this is going to end, but maybe they'll find some way to make it interesting).

thats the problem with every prequel and i doubt these guys will be the ones to solve it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

seems like no amount of failure will discourage this guy

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The last metroid is in captivity.

The galaxy is at peace.

one of the first and greatest uses of voice acting

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

That is not even close to the first use of voice acting in a game.

yeah ok but it was still in a nascent form!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

http://www.retronauts.com/?p=459

The Retronauts about the history of voice acting in videogames is about as in-depth a look at the topic as you can get.

this is cool ill check it out later

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Another visitor!

Stay a while... stay forever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-XEINagmaU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

"I had to give up my life in Japan and become a fisherman in the cold reaches of Alaska. Konami would never find me there."

Its interesting how horrifyingly dystopian Japan can be at times with poo poo like this or the extremely high conviction rates

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Yakuza and Persona are 'on that list' of games Sega wants to bring to PC. It's not confirmation but this is good news, I was thinking that there might be an agreement between Sega and Sony that kept those games off of PC but apparently not.

yessssssssssssssssss

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

dragon age inquisition sucks a lot

yep

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

people make fun of mass effect andromeda but it's way better than da 2 or 3

its sad because dao was a great game and they threw everything good about it away in a futile attempt to sell even more copies

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Nina posted:

The main story ending is garbage and removing the AI customization sucked but other than those DA Inquisition was thoroughly enjoyable to me.

the combat is complete and absolute rear end, seriously one of the worst ive seen in an RPG

even in the trash fire that was 2 the combat was still fun

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i heard it got better with dlc but at release it was nothing but mindless button mashing even on the hardest difficulty. the only way to get some meaningful challenge was to fight stuff much higher level than you at which point you realize that tactical planning is completely impossible due to the horrid overhead camera

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What are people's desert island game?

FTL. Or XCOM:EU with the long war mod because even with a lifetime of doing nothing but playing that game you woudlnt finish it

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

While there are things you can do to mitigate it, I think the structure of team-based competition itself will just always make it easier and very convenient to displace blame onto others, usually strangers on the internet that you don't care about. I think this manifests in the overall tone and discussion of the game itself even, if you compare the way FG/RTS players talk about themselves to say a MOBA community. There's a certain learned humility that comes from getting beat down in 1v1 over and over again.

i mean team sports are also filled with whiny assholes so i dont see how this problem is unique to gaming

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looper posted:

that's a nice picture but a terrible dad!

lisa dad tried his best

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Everyone should play Grandia 2, it's amazing and I love the combat system.

its a big shame no one ever picked those mechanics up, its one of the best implementations of turn based combat ever done

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I haven't played any Metal Gear game past Solid 3, I think they're cool but dumb

3 is amazing but 4 soured me on the whole series. such a lovely game

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the only thing I remember about the story in 4 is that ridiculous ending and those tasty looking eggs

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

Monopoly is pretty fun and moves quickly if you actually read and follow the rules so, for example, every time someone lands on an unoccupied space and they don't buy it it kicks off a bidding war. Most of its reputation as terrible game comes from people ignoring the rules and inventing their own so games turn into hours-long stalemates where the winner is whoever lands on Free Parking and gets thousands of dollars of free money built up over the game.

I dont see how that rule makes anything better since you should always buy whatever you land on

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I'm really kind of bad at "making my own fun" in games and for me the most enjoyment usually comes out of executing something really well or getting into an involved story.

yeah same. except for mapgames but thats not really the same as making your own fun because history is a story too

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Where's mischief makers

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

I recently picked up Darkest Dungeon again, and they've done a bunch of updates since launch. For one, there are difficulty modes now. I don't think there's any shame in starting on the lower difficulty to get more a feel for how things work.

I got back into it because I bounced of FTL (which I had also played before) really hard. I want to love FTL. It's extemely my poo poo and I love most of the game. My problem with it is pretty fundamental though: In a game where a short stretch of bad luck at any time can be a game over, the gameplay should be quick. FTL's real-time combat mechanic makes it easy to end up in fights where nothing is happening except ever 11-15 seconds you shoot at the other ship and they shoot at you. You both have shields and you both have like 30% dodge. And whether you win or lose this fight, it's long and boring and tedious as hell. And so many factors of the game are luck, that it's easy to just get behind the economy curve and be hosed. The failure state of a run feels long and tedious and completely out of your control. Fun when you have some good luck, but not fun when you have some bad luck.

When I bounced of FTL, I still had a roguelike hankering, so I picked up Binding of Isaac: Rebirth again. I had also played it before, and it's a neat concept, but I don't really like it either. For a different, but similar reason than with FTL. I find the gameply of Isaac to be boring 80% of the time. Most of the rooms are straightforward and not that engaging to play. Then you get to a really challenging room, and it's fun, but whether you win or die, you're back to boring rooms. Now, it still plays very fast, so that gives it a plus of FTL, but I'm terrible at the game and I don't really care for the projectile physics which make it really hard to play the way I would play a twin stick shooter.

So, recognizing that half of my beef with Isaac was the controls, I remember Neon Chrome, which is actually a twin-stick shooter, and has a cyberpunk theme rather than a poopy baby theme. (don't get me wrong, Isaac is cool, it's just doesn't really work for me). Neon Chrome is perfect for me. I'm not great at it, but I don't have problems with the controls and it's never boring. Sometimes I run through a level like John Wick, and sometimes I die almost immediately.

Darkest Dungeon has similar RNG "issues" as FTL, but it doesn't have the same "forced passivity" that disliked about FTL. In Darkest Dungeon, rather than waiting for your laser to fire every 11 seconds hoping that it magically disables the enemies weapons before you die, you are constantly scraping and clawing for every shred of health and damage. It's much more engaged.

And furthermore, both Darkest Dungeon and Neon Chrome have a system of persistent upgrades, which means that if you wipe on a run, you aren't actually back to square one like you just installed the game. FTL and Isaac both have unlock-able characters, which is similar, but not the same.

So yeah, maybe I'm not cutout for "real" roguelikes, but I've found that these types of differences in "game feel" or "gameplay experience" really make a big difference for me.

There are people who can beat ftl on hard basically every single time. Some people can even beat hard regularly without pausing. There are lots of ways to mitigate bad RNG on FTL if you know what you are doing

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

i know what you mean, it's more higher-level mastery of specific systems, right? part of me always feels a little "wait it doesn't feel that way for me" when i see complaints about its randomness. in many games, i've only come across a situation where i didn't get offered at least one of the tools i need to finish the game (or at least get to the final sector) a few times. and if you get the crystal species event, that's like the instant win button :v:

at the same time, i understand the sentiment because i still remember what it felt like to be fairly confused at the game when i first played it. i wouldn't have stuck to it as well as i did without a lot of help from my friend who'd played it before.

yeah it takes a while to learn all the things you can do to turn things in your favor, but even something as simple as remembering to pause frequently to consider your options goes a long away.

Its a fantastic game, probably one of my favorites of all time. There is something very elegant and brilliant in the simplicity of the games' design

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

I've literally been killed during the first battle of the game before.

I have read all the advice. I understand how to play the game. If my attack misses 5 times in a row and the enemies doesn't, there's nothing I can do about that, and Injad to wait 60 seconds for it to play out. Once, i jumped to 4 empty systems in a row, putting me in a huge resource deficit.

You can try to run away

Like I said there have been people who have done poo poo like 50+ winning runs on hard on a row, which implies there are ways to get out of even the most disastrous RNG rolls

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ive been playing Nuclear Throne and its pretty fun. But how the hell are you supposed to beat that Lil Hunter??? he destroys me every single time

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

You can't run away until your jump drive is charged...

But I'm really curious now. Do you have more information or links? Should I just google it?

When I googled it before, all I found was really condescending stuff...

this guy is super good at the game, check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GBd5AQb8Y

I cant find the run I mentioned but it def exists

Kestrel A is a good ship if you want to deal with less RNG bullshit because it starts with an endgame quality weapon

babypolis fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 27, 2017

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Snak posted:

Literally the first thing he does is restart the game because he want's a better exit location.

But I'm officially convinced. it seems that with the proper skills, luck is a much smaller factor than it seems to a less skilled player. I still don't really enjoy a lot of the gameplay, and all the searching I've done trying to find advice just seems to reveal a toxic comminity of assholes, and 90% of the advice is on how to beat the final boss, not how to survive the journey there.

Yeah but hes playing on hard with no pause, you will never have to do that kind of stuff to beat a normal game

Most of the advice is based around beating the final boss because thats the real challenge, once you get better at the game you realize the entire journey to the final boss is about accumulating resources and tools to beat all of the dirty tricks it throws at you. But heres some basic advice:

-Pause all the fuckin time, and take the time to consider your options. Even if everything is going to poo poo theres usually something you can to salvage your run, if you pause and think about your options carefully
-Learn what kind of upgrades and weapons you need to prioritize. Hacking and Teleporter are both excellent systems and you should always buy them when you can. Some of the best weapons are the Burst Laser 2, Flak 1, Ion Bomb
-Taking out missiles on the enemy ship should almost always be a priority. Consider getting a drone system if it comes with a free defense drone, because being able to not care about missiles does wonder for your chances of survival
-Upgrade shields to get a second pip ASAP
-You dont need to have every system powered up all the time. For example you dont need power on the medbay most of the time, and a pro strat is to turn off oxygen when its at a 100%
-Upgrading doors can be a real lifesaver if you have a weak crew or your ship is undermanned
-Dont send your dudes to put out fires, instead vent the oxygen from the room
-Stay the gently caress away from any space spiders

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ah well, its not for everyone. I dont think I ever found the fights boring even if sometimes you are just waiting for cooldowns

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

what game is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

notch has done literally nothing with his money besides sit around and be miserable all day, which is insane to me. do coke, man. buy the rights to chrono trigger and remake it as an fps. you could do literally anything you wanted.

srsly my life would be a non stop coke orgy while also paying hundreds of millions for sequels to suikoden and ogre battle

notch reached the "endless ennui" part of being filthy rich without doing any of the fun stuff first

• Locked thread