Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Hours of unskippable cutscenes?

But enough about the 8 hour FF7 speedrun they've got planned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Skies of Arcadia had bland typical turn based combat but I liked that they'd animate your allies and enemies attempting to fight each other in the background and whiffing attacks while you were making your choice and the ship combat was neat.

Shadow Hearts series has my favorite turn based combat though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

I love SoA to death but I reeeeeaaaally wish you could actually position your characters in combat since some spells and abilities have specific areas of effect. And tweak the close range and long range normal attacks while you're at it

Yeah, it was always strange that they had these abilities and attacks that would hit different areas but you had no control over where your character was.

I'd like to see an hd port at some point but I don't think an hd port could fix the weird combat stuff, and I wouldn't want them remaking it because...well, it's a dumb reason but I feel like they'd do what they did with Valkyria and ditch what made it so special and unique and interesting.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh and Etrian Odyssey games as well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Between the Rage Spell, the Fire Monster transformation's double damage buff, and Lucia's guaranteed critical and a Seventh Key, I think the first attack I did directly against the final boss in Shadow Hearts 2 did 80% of its health.

Exactly

That poo poo owned. I also liked the combo system you could set up so you could just juggle enemies between your allies.

Though correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there that Infinite Key or whatever it was called and you could combine it with the one Judgement Ring type that only has 1 area you have to hit and it just autocompletes the rest for you and if you combined the two then you automatically would just hit the enemy until they died?

I can't remember if that was a thing you could actually do or just something people were hoping you could do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other RPGs that have sorta turn-based combat with some manner of engagement beyond picking your moves and watching your characters do them and does it really help the battle system at all? Remember all of the Paper Mario games and all of the Mario+Luigi games being like this

Shadow Hearts series.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I like how every single character in FF8 can be completely broken to do tons and tons of damage and that every system can be broken to let you do tons and tons of damage and that you can do silly things like obtaining the ultimate weapon for squall before the end of disc 1 or playing a surprisingly fun card game in order to get access to stuff you wouldn't normally have access to or just straight up turning off encounters since the game gets harder the higher your level is.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Golden Sun is absolutely horrendous and it never fails to surprise(?) me when every few months there's a neogaf thread about "Golden Sun: a masterpiece"

quite possibly the worst loving RPG story ever created, with some of the most braindead "puzzles" I've ever played

I only ever completed that game once, I was super annoyed because I saved at a point that was a point of no return so I could only fight the final boss and complete the game or I could just restart the game if I wanted to try to complete it 100%. I don't remember anything about that game outside of the cool battle music though and that it was neat to be able to use your skills to manipulate parts of the environment. I always hear people complain about the amount of text, but what about the story itself and the puzzles were bad? I mean, like I said, I don't remember much so if you could fill me in that'd be cool :D

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Every single character is an exposition dumpster and nearly every part of the story is filled with moronic plotholes either due to bad writing or inconsistencies juxtaposed with the actual powers the game introduces. It happens constantly and by the end, the story pulls the worst poo poo ever by telling you that the bad guys are actually good and you've wasted your loving time doing all this menial work.

What kind of plotholes were there? I'd rather not play through both games to try to find out.

oddium posted:

god bless this grandpa

Yeah, he's very skilled at the carving stuff and I like watching him just cut out the blocks. I don't really care that he's cutting out some other guy's video game design things, I just like how good this guy is at something so neat and skilled. I kinda wish the guy who did the art itself had done a jojo print or two tho, I feel like those would be interesting to look at.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

gently caress i want this so bad

i know i read about these before, there's a place you can order the prints, right?

http://ukiyoeheroes.com/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A good deal

Context: that's an upgrade for the operating room

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

i give myself anxiety for no reason sometimes. my lets play channel is super casual and has no subscribers but i've been crunching my non-work hours playing games because i was lacking stuff for the first half of this month. like there's nothing at stake if i miss a day but the workaholic in me won't allow that

i'm mostly done with that now though. once summer games done quick starts i'm gonna chill out to some BOTW and not record it

e: there's also a surprise party for my brother on saturday and even though that sort of thing is fun, it's still treated in my broken brain as an obligation and obligations also give me anxiety. basically there's only so much lexapro can do

Anxiety is a major pain in the rear end ad you have my condolences. I hope you can at least find solace in knowing that you can always get through it, though, because I and several others in your life are rooting for you and do not wish you any ill will.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

yeah I do my best. the lexapro helps a lot, but there are certain hurdles only i can get over

i was gonna play a game tonight but maybe i'll just go to sleep early? idk. it's already 2 AM so

Do what you feel is best for you, IMO. No shame in staying up unless you've got something important you should be doing tomorrow morning, but also no shame in heading to sleep because sleep is good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Bomberman R was updated today and now you can play as Vic Viper, Simon Belmont and Pyramid Head.

Hahaha that's great. Are they just reskins or do they play differently? I haven't heard anything about bomberman r other than there was a lot of fighting over whether it was going to be good or not.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

drat that's a nice-looking book. Too bad about the price, though. I just wanna find a cheap decent-quality hardback copy of master and commander on amazon but nah the prices for that are pretty big and I feel like for a book that old, I should never drop the 17 or whatever dollars they were asking for it on amazon.

I'd just get it at the library but, and I know this is dumb, but when I have to read something under a deadline, I pretty much never do it. I just give up and say gently caress it. Like, it doesn't matter that I can just renew the book multiple times before having to return it, I just don't read when I'm on a deadline. It's weird.

I know some people suggested I just get the ebook version but ehhhh I like having the hardbooks in my hand since it's a good way to relax, just lying down in bed with a nice book.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Do you mind used copies at all? The used hardback copies look pretty cheap!

The used hardback copies I saw ranged from 8 to 17 dollars and I saw on another site they had a used hardback for 4 bucks and 4 bucks is about what I'd feel comfortable paying for it given this is KCB's amazon gift credit, not mine, so I'd rather not spend too much of it on just one book.

Hahaha yeah I saw that, fuuuuuuck. 200 bucks for the complete set, jesus christ. I mean, that would factor out to be about 10 bucks a book but still.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Depending on your nautical term knowledge (and your love for the series) you may want to check this out; I don't have it myself but I've seen it recommended quite a few times:

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Words-Third-Companion-Seafaring/dp/0805066152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498748682&sr=8-1&keywords=a+sea+of+words

I like that stuff like this exists. I'm not super well versed in nautical terminology, but I think I know enough to get by.

I've just always wanted to read the aubrey-maturin books. I like sea stuff from that time period.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't a mech just a walking tank

Depends.

There's a line between tank and mech where something can be both or they can be one or the other.

Like, iirc the front mission wanzers are just walking tanks, that's why they're called wanzers in the first place, but I wouldn't call stuff like the zone of the enders mechs "walking tanks"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
"God I wish I wasn't so friendless" - a guy who keeps acting like an rear end lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Like, there are so many times I wish I had notch's level of money because I know I'd at least do something good with it.

Basically I'd do what Richard Garriott does because Richard Garriott owns, gently caress the haters. That guy is just happy as can be and uses his money to do stuff he thinks is cool like picking up old artifacts or building neat mansions or going to space, and afaik Richard Garriott isn't an rear end in a top hat so he's like the anti-notch

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Garriott is basically running a scam like Star Citizen only less successfully in terms of crowdfunding so

I thought Garriott always made products, it seems a bit of a stretch to compare that to the star citizen dev team that takes in money and likely isn't going to ever have any kind of output.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

hearts medicine takes an unexpected, yet somewhat familiar turn

Time to carve a pentagram into the heart

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is coco someone you have to unlock or can you play as her regardless, and does it have an effect on any scenes that would normally have coco in them?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CJacobs posted:

You can play as Coco anytime except for boss fights (and the hog riding levels) in any of the 3 games. You unlock her in each one after beating a couple levels.

Also, Crash 1 is still brutally goddamn hard, and that physics tweak I mentioned is not helping matters! It is still a blast though.

Mostly I wanna know how the start of Crash 2 plays out if you're playing as Coco, like if Coco is just there telling Coco to go fetch her stuff or what :P Or if you get holographic messages from Coco telling Coco not to trust Cortex.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
You ever have one of those eureka moments where you get this really bright idea for something except you know it's actually a really stupid idea and you have no idea why your brain is treating it as a bright idea?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Beef stew is better than the dumb thing I was thinking of and I'm glad I have enough sense to go "that's a silly idea, never think of it again"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Wait, they didn't change that?

What the gently caress? I mean, I can't play those games anyway since I don't have that console but still lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What *is* Knack

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know now the true hell jeff gerstmann experienced every time somebody brought up firewatch

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The Chat Thread of Lost July

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Don't ju with your chat thread could splat lyke me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, it died last year. Only Lego and Amiibo are left.

IIRC, activision said they wanted to focus more on the imaginators line and supporting that instead of moving on to another iteration so soon so it sounds more like it's similar to that assassins creed situation where they took a year off from releasing an AC game to focus on other media stuff.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

I wonder if ADTRW has a chat thread that's mostly people talking about video games.

Haven't posted there in a few years now but they'd talk about games a lot, but also talk about anime a lot, and also there were too many people that got away with saying creepy poo poo back then. I dunno if that has changed now since one of the reasons I stopped posting there was that it always seemed like I was being treated like the bad guy for thinking that people posting sexualized pics of underaged anime girls should be called out.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I didn't know all of time was actually 2018.

Time Kompression will do that to ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
People thirsty as hell for twintelle

• Locked thread