Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

I've yet to see a journalist who was good at a videogame in the sense that we've come to expect from streamers and youtube and whatnot. But I reckon they don't really need to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

babypolis posted:

They dont need to be pro players but I feel like at least a decent level of understanding of game design and logic is neccesary to be a good reviewer. Like if you review a game and say "such and such was confusing and badly designed" but then it turns out the design was perfectly fine and it was you being a moron, thats a failure as a critic

True. That's typically when I avoid bylines with that particular name attached to it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao if you live for anything but spite

Serf
May 5, 2011

Schreier does good work at Kotaku.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe there still isn't a good and easy way to play dungeons and dragons on the computer.

Roll20 is my go-to. It even has official D&D support, but you shouldn't support D&D.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the new wolfenstein trailer showing a nazi soldier palling around with a pair of klansmen is pretty effective imagery. hopefully we get some payoff on that.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I know it'd never happen but I'd love to see some more well known game podcasts just put out an all-politics episode where they talk about how hosed things are right now. It's very easy to get stuck inside a bubble of distraction and be insulated from the dire state things are in.

A few have skirted around it and have obviously kept silent on it because it is very much a powder keg, but it's really obvious a lot are super upset about the direction things have gone in the US, regardless of the reasons for last year's election results, and have had to hold back in response to a lot of poo poo they want to say something about. I think the closest I've heard one come to just discussing it outright is when Palmer Lucky was revealed to be a just truly abhorrent piece of poo poo and Giant Bomb marked him as their Hottest Mess of 2016 during GOTY discussions and actually delved into why a bit.

The best one-liner I've heard from them was when COD was revealed to be going back to WW2 and Jeff Gerstmann said "Sometimes people need to be reminded that Nazis should be on the wrong end of the gun."

Waypoint is probably your best bet on that front. they seem to be the most likely to start talking about real-world politics (something I'm always a fan of).

i just hope the game isn't pure rah-rah america good bullshit. it seems like it won't be, with bj talking to that maybe-communist guy who talks about fighting american imperialism.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Feminism is a self-defeating ideology that is collapsing in on itself and will never win, and also we must stop feminism from winning because it is an insidious and unstoppable threat.

this is straight up one of umberto eco's methods for identifying a fascist

Serf
May 5, 2011

there is something deeply ironic about a game developer who is afraid of the idea of universal basic income

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/874220176446693377

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I dunno, that Notch guy seems pretty fuckin miserable!

we should take his money

Serf
May 5, 2011

ubisoft is not gonna have a game where you confront the seething racial animus that boils just underneath the surface of american culture because that would actually be interesting

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Deus Ex Mankind Divided tried it and it turns out it's a terrible idea

the "mechanical apartheid" is one of the dumbest things i have ever seen. do it right, not dumb and bad

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I don't think video games have enough space and time to provide the nuance to say anything other than "maybe both sides are bad..........."

pretty narrow way of thinking about an art form

Serf
May 5, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It's more about what's feasible than what's possible. Yeah it's probably possible to make a nuanced story so complex that it provides an interesting social commentary and a message that can be easily understood while also saying a lot of poignant stuff. But it's not feasible because the game only has a small amount of time/space to deliver that message to you, not to mention the skill it'd take to implement such a message.

I would play this.

as they say, rome wasn't built in a day. it's not like they'll start making this sort of game tomorrow, but there are clear attempts at attempting to better the medium, and i believe they'll keep working at it.

and not all social commentaries need to be deep af or anything. look at the new wolfenstein games for instance. "nazis should be shot" isn't particularly hard to do but it is nevertheless correct

Serf
May 5, 2011

self-censoring is the funniest thing. like these people have lived in a time and age where censorship is a thing that doesn't happen for so long that they have no idea what it is

Serf
May 5, 2011

an actual dog posted:

I'm curious to see if there's gonna be any differences between the JP and NA versions of Xenoblade 2. After all the backlash they might be keeping everything the same this time.

hopefully they make it look less bad

Serf
May 5, 2011

Raserys posted:

I WANNA MUNCH

SQUAD

Serf
May 5, 2011

In Training posted:

10 year old me really Rogue the Bat's knockers

i accidentally the whole sonic oc

Serf
May 5, 2011

seems tense in here today

Serf
May 5, 2011

i mean

hell yeah

Serf
May 5, 2011

drakengard owns

Serf
May 5, 2011

capitalism has broken us each in our own way

Serf
May 5, 2011

I would take the combat in classic FF games over what 15 had any day. I liked 15, but man the combat was just not my thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MGS2 was probably the most prophetic and relevant Metal Gear game and I will always love it for that despite the fact that snake eater is the best.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Snak posted:

What is "START theory"?

Edit: ^ 2 is amazing, but it's more amazing if you've played 1. That's why I was lamenting how inconvenient it is to play 1 nowadays.

if i had to guess, i think they mean the START treaty, which is about reducing the nuclear stockpiles of the united states and the former soviet union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

This is correct and I did not mean to use the word "theory"

to be fair recognizing what the START treaty is means you're either a metal gear solid nerd or a politics nerd, so i'm not exactly proud of myself for knowing this right off the dome

• Locked thread