Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

The worst opinion ever, immortalized here for all to see.

idk, ATB kinda sucks since you're just waiting around even more than in normal turn based combat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Never played FF13/15 but almost anything is better than turn based jrpg combat

nah sometimes you just wanna chill out and take it slow, y'know?

related, i finally picked up trails in the sky SC

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Skies of Arcadia had bland typical turn based combat but I liked that they'd animate your allies and enemies attempting to fight each other in the background and whiffing attacks while you were making your choice and the ship combat was neat.

Shadow Hearts series has my favorite turn based combat though

I love SoA to death but I reeeeeaaaally wish you could actually position your characters in combat since some spells and abilities have specific areas of effect. And tweak the close range and long range normal attacks while you're at it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

*Creates complex system of status effects including counters to specific effects. Blind, paralyze poison, attack up, attack down, magic up, magic down, etc..."

*Literally all are useless they disable/stun because characters die in three hits*

My favorite Games meme is "buffs and ailments are actually useful in this one!"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

if you truly wish to relive the horror of Golden Sun and go beyond whenever you gave up on it, I strongly recommend the Let's Play of it, which is a fascinating travesty:

https://lparchive.org/Golden-Sun/

This lp owns tho

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ometeotl posted:

The Baten Kaitos games, where you create chains and combos on your turn. There's no rhythm games or anything but it's involved.

I've only played the first one but it seriously sucked when your hand was nothing but defense and healing cards on your turn, or nothing but offense cards on your enemy's

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Sleep was insanely useful in FFTA because it gave everything 100% accuracy on the victim, including the all important Steal: Ability

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Honestly status effects can be pretty drat useful in most rpgs, it's just you never need to use them so most people don't bother.

there's the very common problem of "how am I supposed to know what this thing is vulnerable to without wasting several turns finding out"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

super rpg

Mario rpg also owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isometric jumping puzzles are almost as bad as first-person jumping puzzles

in the metroid prime games, it always felt pretty easy to tell where exactly samus was in the 3d space even while jumping

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
and the platforming in smrpg is only really an issue in the cloud level with all the floating beanstalks and that one room in the volcano with the bridge

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it's pretty bad regardless but at least super mario rpg let you move in 8 directions regardless of the isometric viewpoint unlike a lot of isometric things at the time which arbitrarily determined whether up should be northwest or northeast

nah i'm contending that smrpg controlled pretty well and the ease with which you could move mario around made it much more fun to play than many other rpgs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it wasn't great

actually, the opposite interpretation holds true

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

actually, we're both wrong

w-wait a minute...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

my man

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
They skipped large in favor of orb and mega and WAR

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Notch is....vegan??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Crash 1 was always hard god drat it!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Don't need videogames to spend time with a girl either yet here we are.

Co-op games are fun!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also here's the important question: is crash on vita?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Square: alright alright alright, we'll remake everyone's favorite ps1 classic final fantasy 7, but we're gonna make the gameplay totally different and split it into multiple releases, ultimately taking years to hit the shelves

Naughty dog: huh? oh yeah here's crash 1. uh sure have 2 and 3 while you're here

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Remastering a platformer and remaking a weird old JRPG are pretty different things to be fair.

You're not supposed to bring that up!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

It's okay!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The improvement between Crash 1 and 2 is gonna feel so good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
How are those HD death animations?