Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Life is Strange 3.8 Dolby: B-Side/Sessions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Guy Mann posted:

Say what you will about Kingdom Hearts, the final battle in two was amazingly nutso in the best possible way. Like, you fight an entire living city/spaceship with some shmup sequences to break up the final boss' zillion different forms/costume changes and then at the end you have to deflect ten thousand lasers to survive. It takes a half hour to play through even if you're fully prepared and you're basically breaking the controller by the end of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vocDalCY8c

Bosses where you fight a boss the same size as you > bosses where you fight a giant thing, but using all of the game's normal combat mechanics > bossfights made up of different game mechanics and QTEs

The Xemnas boss fight has... all of those things, so it has its ups and downs. KH's human-sized bosses are best, though - KH2 is not as good as KH1 overall, but the fights against the organisation members are a lot more fun than most of KH1's bosses.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Robo Turnus posted:

hollow knight is the best game of june which came out not in june. i never played metroid type games before now but it is very fun for me.

Its ok but it could have used like 50% less backtracking, maybe 60%.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

btw Thai food is the greatest cuisine on Earth

It's true, Thai > Mexican > everything else.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon coming out November 17th, too. It's very unclear what the games actually are, though. DLC? Totally new releases? It's meant to be an "alternate story" to Sun and Moon.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

In Training posted:

Im assuming they're basically like Black and White 2.

Same, but since they're releasing just a year after Sun and Moon and Nintendo and the Pokemon Company have both been doing big DLC stuff for a while now, I'm not entirely confident. I just sorta hope it's DLC because then it'll be cheaper and I won't have two large game files sitting on my 3DS memory card that share 99% of the same assets and code.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Arms would be in a similar boat but people already want to gently caress the noodle girl so its gonna be a big deal for a while i bet.

iirc Nintendo have already said arms is gonna get post release support so I can see it being a pretty reasonable success along the lines of splatoon. Especially if it gets the same treatment that splatoon did where there was like, a year of events and new free content. I hope it does well because it looks like a fun game.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Hollow Knight was well-received but I put it down after reaching the sewer area. I played on PC with a dualshock, and the controls were very rigid compared to similar games like A2MR or Dead Cells. Timing jumps is frustrating due to a slight delay after you press the button. Enemies have tons of health, especially bosses. The traversal powerups aren't interesting. They took the corpse recovery mechanic from Dark Souls because that's popular now, but it doesn't fit the gameplay style or the story. Even the map system is tedious. You have to buy each area's map from the cartographer who's hiding somewhere near the entrance. It forces you to explore new areas in a weird way since he leaves forever if you pass him, then you have to return to town to buy the map. In Metroid or the 2D Castlevanias, your map simply fills in while you explore, and you can get greyed-out maps to give you a rough guideline of the region. In short, I didn't like it. Thank you for reading my rant. :cheers:

I had all of the same issues, but a lot of people seem to really love it so I guess some of it is just a matter of individual taste. I did find the jumping really finicky in a bad way, and the game really wants you to use a jump + downward slash move that I could never do consistently. I don't know whether it was an issue with my controller or my computer or whether I just don't have the dexterity to manage it :shrug:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Come to think about it, I'd probably reject my father's legacy and try to kill him in a boss battle too if he decided to name me with his name spelt backwards.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

The best video game dad is five dads working together (:nws: kinda)!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I would go on 4chan's video game board back around 2011, before I joined SA, and in retrospect it is entirely unsurprising that they started an enormous antifeminism movement because suggesting that a videogame might be sexist was the one thing that would make that entire community get genuinely defensive and upset. Like anything else it would be mixed opinions or some ironic bullshit, but if you suggested that maybe all games shouldn't have gratuitous T&A, or that armour contoured around each individual boob was stupid, they would all drop the irony and get very angry about it. They didn't even get that way about racism or politics or any other kind of censorship/localisation stuff iirc, but 'less titty in videogame' was their big red line.

I think now that red line might also include talking about cultural appropriation and insulting donald trump, though...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

I didn't realise call of duty ghosts had actual ghosts in it.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I feel like the superficial similarities between Souls games and metroidvanias has a lot of people attempting to merge the two poorly and Hollow Knight is a victim of that.
However that's just the impression I get as I won't be playing it until the Switch version comes out.

I haven't played the souls games, but talking about hollow knight with my friend who has played them, it seems like backtracking is a lot easier in souls in that you often just roll and swerve past enemies, and it's something you can just sort of do on autopilot after you've run through the same area a few times. Hollow Knight has a lot more precision platforming with wall grabs and spikes and pits, and getting back to the spot you died (to retry a boss or to collect your ghost and try a platforming section again) takes a lot more conscious effort, and it makes all the backtracking in the game a lot longer and more boring than it otherwise would be. The game is big and going from one place to another or fighting a boss, everything just takes a lot of time and effort, and some people find that really rewarding and engrossing and some people find it boring and repetitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

Wario is an older Mario that has abandoned his principles in the pursuit of wealth.

• Locked thread