Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

june is end boss month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing I like, is videogames

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a quebec libre is maple syrup and coke

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Raxivace posted:

The second half of Dark Souls in general is kind of :effort: compared to how polished the first half is, with the DLC and the Painted World being the major exceptions.

My favorite example of wonky Dark Souls design is a guy shortly after Ceaseless Discharge, Demon Firesage, who is horribly weak to fire of all drat things, despite his name, appearance, and manner of attack.

also the demon firesages attacks don't do fire damage, they do magic damage

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only good united states brand america food is barbeque I.e. gigantic hunks of slow smoked meat. anything else is ubiquitously disgusting or stolen from non american heritages

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

shrimp n grits America's contribution to world cuisine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

tuna noodle casserole recipe all listed on the back of a jar of helmann's mayo

thanks america

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

marshmallows all suspended in a big hunk of jello we getting fancy as gently caress up in here

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

epic bacon ftw -literally america, the food

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

corn in the bible posted:

pls tell me your favorite world cuisine that is not the result of america

falafel's pretty good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm the curry without tomatoes, potatoes, peppers,

curry is british though

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

america is ashamed of trump eating well done steaks with ketchup when actually that's the most american thing about him

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lmao I wasn't defending the stolen honor of non american countries like some tumblr princess you dingaling

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

make america great again: put cheeze whiz and factory processed meat on everything

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I'm ashamed of motherfucking Golden Corral

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/70s_party/status/869280076868853760?s=09

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/RichardEhrlich/status/867679007831191552

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

death to america

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

You know Weird lovely Gelatin poo poo is actually a Victorian thing, right? It's not a thing America invented? Are you maybe not very well versed in food history because I understand, it's hard to learn about things

well if we didn't invent it son we goddamn perfected it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

a block of velveeta with a happy 30th birthday candle stuck in it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyway american food can be pretty gross

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't doxx me

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also why is there a special yogurt that makes you poop

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in retrospect instead of saying bullshit like "stolen heritage" what I more accurately was trying to say was "made worse by america"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Erata posted:

Gravy is the best, and it's so easy to make by yourself. A little bit of flour and stirring and you're there.

you'll roux this day

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

escargot is good

i've done alton Brown's steak au poivre recipe a bunch of times and didn't burn the house down deglazing the pan once so far

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if this games a pokken i'm doing coke to dokken

what's pokken

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that is not an origami samurai, rather it is a drawing of an origami samurai

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there's literally a kung fu panda picture in there. and a sylvester stallone

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

babypolis posted:

dont forget stripper mercy and stripper mcree

Sunning posted:

And Sephiroth, Ezio, and an Imperial Stormtrooper.

they at least had to create the semblance of some original art for these. there's literally a kung fu panda and sylvester stallone in there

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nina posted:

How did they lose and regain the rights anyway

very carefully

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how has the team behind battleborn not been completely liquidated as an incredible waste of money and resources

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what i don't get is why was no man's sky in development for umpteen-odd years and still came out underbaked yet apparently they've been cranking out multiple content updates and major overhauls in the past year

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it was amazing to find out that lucky yates was part of this

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did someone bring it up that apparently A) the 2nd best selling game (including digital downloads) of 2017 so far is For Honor, and 2) has simultaneously hemorrhaged 95% of it's population over the past 3 months or so

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wasn't the netcode for that game really bad? That seems like a big deal for what's basically a fighting game

i'm banking it all on "marketing beats quality, every time". note that the greatest selling game of the year of our lord 2017 so far is tom clancy's wildlands, which is a wet diarrhea squirt and i would bet has had a similar playerbase holocaust, and yet was advertised on a shitload of streaming services leading up to release.

edit: looks like instead of linking a crummy ign article i could've linked the source instead http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-has-now-lost-95-of-its-playerbase-worse-than-the-division-1-year-ago/

edit 2: and yeah wildlands is sitting at 3.5k current players itself http://www.githyp.com/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-wildlands-132971/

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 6, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think the idea behind a For Honor is cool but 80% of the clips is see from it are cheap deaths caused by bad net code. Additionally, it's hard to keep a player constantly engaged in your multiplayer game. I come back to Overwatch for their special events but that means I'm ignoring Battlefield, Call of Duty, Rainbow Six, and Street Fighter. And I prefer single player experiences anyway.

That article isn't completely fair either, since it compares current player counts to the high during beta. A $60 wall will keep out a huge majority of people coming from a free trial.

the analytics site that ign took the information from takes that into account:

http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-lost-over-half-of-its-playerbase-in-its-first-two-weeks-on-steam/

http://www.githyp.com/for-honor-has-now-lost-95-of-its-playerbase-worse-than-the-division-1-year-ago/

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

For Honor is struggling because:
  • It has no idea what it wants to be, either a Powerstone-like multiplayer brawler or a fighting game. It fails at being a good version of either of those genres.
  • The mechanics absolutely fall apart at higher levels. The game is super-defense oriented and so the entire meta revolves around heavily utilizing unblockable moves in order to create openings and mix-ups. If your class doesn't have one of those unblockable moves...you're basically hosed.
  • The mechanics don't work very well at lower skill levels either due to a plethora of environmental kills that punish players who can't successfully tech out of Guard Breaks (something that most low-level players can't do consistently, or at all).
  • The game was over-monetized and came off feeling like a not-particularly-generous F2P title, so much so that they were going to be boycotted for it.
  • The single player campaign, which was promised as being a reason in and of itself to enjoy For Honor, is just about the most uninspired thing you can imagine. Seriously, it's perfunctory.
  • Things are so bad that the game's subreddit has once again been taken over by blackout/boycott talk.

Having said that, it's truly trying to do something different in the melee fighting space and it's worth ~20 bucks to play the experiment, IMO.

these all seem like well reasoned and interesting points but i'm sticking to my guns of "3 million people bought a copy because of an ad they saw and ditched it in a month"

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 6, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

I find it really bizarre that with all the amazing games to come out in 2017 like Persona 5, Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, the new Fire Emblem, etc., a lovely overhyped multiplayer shooter outsells all of them.

to be fair, the article listing the top sellers mentions that breath of the wild's numbers do NOT include digital downloads where for honor and wildlands' listings do, and it still manages to come in at #3.

that said though, i don't think digital downloads are really a thing on the switch right? so it could end up being negligible

edit: also horizon zero dawn is right behind at #4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

How I envy their ignorance.

same

• Locked thread