Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

reposting interesting indie games in june:

Celeste - new platformer from the Towerfall dev
Strikey Sisters - action-Breakout game by the Bot Vice dev (hopefully it's better than Wizorb)
Serious Sam's Bogus Detour - top-down Serious Sam game by the Hammerwatch devs
Alvora Tactics - new tactics game from the Voidspire Tactics dev
Victor Vran: Fractured Worlds - DLC that adds 4 new randomized dungeons
Conarium (corn in the bible alert!!!) - first-person adventure by the Darkness Within devs
Cladun Returns - after unceremoniously dumping an old Cladun game on Steam years ago, NISA hopes to make amends with this new one??
Monolith - okay this one's interesting, it's a shmup..dungeon crawler? and I don't mean like "shmup-esque" i mean you're in a ship firing bullets and enemies fire bullets at you
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - the super awesome remake with amazing art
Fidel: Dungeon Rescue - tile-by-tile puzzle game where you're dog in a dungeon. you're dog
Caveman Warriors - I dunno if this'll be any good but it seems to be a Joe & Mac style game which is at least a refreshing choice for an influence
Micro Machines World Series - Codemasters finally returns to the only series that matters
Nex Machina - Housemarque (Resogun) got a new twin-stick jam for ya
The Low Road - point n click adventure
Card City Nights 2 - gently caress yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/ProgPro/status/870028791523004420

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just create a Discord and chat in there while you play

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if you're not playing switch at your computer station with a discord running to talk to your friends, Your'e gameing wrong.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.bundlestars.com/en/game/mad-max

$4

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Parasyte anime is really good outside of the somewhat tropey first episode (gotta make sure theres an accidental grope misunderstanding!!! wheee!!!!!)

someday I'll play FF14 and there's no hurry because I think FF11 is still going even today

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Why did it even do that. I don't get it
i've seen several otherwise benign series have something gross in the first episode so maybe it's just "this is the only way we can hook a loving idiot otaku into our not-for-idiots show" but i assume it generally doesn't work because the stuff that gets multiple seasons are the specifically-for-otaku shows

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Let's just agree all anime is bad.
That's usually the path to another 4-5 pages of talking about it

my opinion of Ghost 1.0 is that it's a C+ Metroidvania compared to the D grade that UnEpic earned

also I guess it's only barely a Metroidvania in that areas are gated by keys, but otherwise it's very very linear and abilities like dash/double jump are optional and not necessary to traverse

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks for your review on it, btw. I'm probably going to get Hollow Knight instead this summer sale
yeah what I played of Hollow Knight's sneak peak from Humble Bundle played way better, looks way better, and has way less Big Bang Theory humor

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

The confusing part is when you get like 6 or 7 episodes into something and THEN that happens and I'm left going

Lookin at you Kobayashi's Dragon Maid thing episode 6
there's this cute romance-subversion anime called Love Lab that halfway through for no reason has a blackface scene :gonk:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CJacobs posted:

This is still pretty hilarious when it crops up though *looks at mr. popo*
it's not like "jinx is a pokemon that looks like blackface", the characters actually wear blackface

Ghost 1.0's humor is basically not much different from UnEpic. it doesn't have the sexism, but it does have the really lame "here's a nerd reference! hilarious right!" joke every other line of dialogue. also there's a brief vignette where you play as the black scientist character in a flashback and when i defeated an enemy a health pickup appeared in the form of a fried chicken drumstick :geno:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Yasradiusmanaf/status/870891278505918468

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

having finished Ghost 1.0 -and- Mini Ghost, I actually think Mini-Ghost is better. Mini-Ghost is more of a Metroidvania, it's short, and it's only $3.

but the very cool thing about mini-ghost is its Workshop support. the game includes a character editor, tileset editor, and map editor, so you can make your own Metroidvanias

here's one guy's campaign based on DOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVLhouCdhkg&t=60s

e: just browsing the workshop, naturally there's every copyrighted character known to man, and also someone managed to recreate Rick Dangerous 2 with the provided tools

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 4, 2017

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i dont remember that episode of House MD

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only good american biscuits are cheddar bay

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

america is ashamed of trump eating well done steaks with ketchup when actually that's the most american thing about him
i don't like steak

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just started watching this last night, pshhuuu

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

anyway american food can be pretty gross
you just have to live with the fact that our tastiest food is our unhealthiest and we built our economy around that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got god hand because it was $3

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

playing Song of the Deep now. atmospherically it's a lot better than Ghost 1.0/Mini-Ghost

the game is hitting a middling portion where you have to leave your sub, Master Blaster style, and that part is cool, but the part that's not cool is, LASER MIRROR PUZZLES!!! can we not, developers. I like them in puzzle games, but having to move my character around to each mirror is TEDIOUS as gently caress

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ys Origin is fun but it's the most dungeon-crawly of the series

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

Have you played Within a Deep Forest? It's by the save developer and was freeware for a long time (probably still is). It has a lot of the exploration elements of Knytt but with an even more sparse story and is perfect for relaxing game time. You control a bouncing ball that can unlock different elements to transform into (iron, rubber, glass) and has a bunch of connected areas to explore. Check it out.
Knytt Stories is also extremely chill and has Metroidvania elements as well as people's custom campaigns, some of which are included I think

It was my favorite Metroidvania on PC for a long time until Hero Core came out

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Battleborn put out a 10gb patch yesterday to add........................................ hats

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

LawfulWaffle posted:

Hey chat thread. Tmi incoming

Between my post about Within a Deep Forest and now I've had Real Mad Poops and vomited 5 (five!) times in rapid succession (twice in my poorly draining sink and thrice in the toilet). And I'm not even on a Carnival Cruise Line. If this is my last post on Earth I want you to know that I love you all and Final Fantasy XIII was trash for idiot babies.
looks like you're within a deep torus (the torus being the toilet lid)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the bouncer was alright and it was also super cheap really quickly

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Battleborn Free Trial is a whole new way to experience Battleborn without having to pay a dime. The Free Trial encompasses UNLIMITED Competitive Multiplayer play, including access to all four competitive multiplayer modes, a rotating roster of free playable heroes, and the same character and account growth and progression you would find in the full game.

lol how is it that they manage to gently caress up every single part of the failed game manifesto

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

splatoon 1 outsold bloodborne, with new IPs you have to accept that sometimes internet communities don't represent actual mainstream awareness

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

thumbnail making the :chloe: face

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The one nice thing about having a PC nowadays is that you only need to maintain the update cycle if you care about AAA games. If you only care about indie games like I do then you're probably going to be good for a pretty dang long while. Still rocking the long in the tooth AMD Phenom II X4 955 which I think is now an 8 year old CPU and I'm still playing today's games just fine.

the only game that's run like poo poo on it is unsurprisingly Ryse Son of Rome which from what I understand is unoptimized in general and gave lots of people problems, but is also Ryse Son of Rome so it doesn't really matter

i care more about if The Witness or Obduction run fine than the new Battlefront. i won't need to upgrade my pc to play the Wonder Boy remake, or Bleed 2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

precision posted:

my wife just got to Futaba and wants to date her

in the game I mean

I'm a lucky fellow, I dunno what I did to deserve her
mah waife!!!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lady Layton is coming to the 3DS a couple months after iOS which is F*CKED UP!!!!!! but that's okay because apparently the iOS version is just a weird 3DS port that has both screens so it's a really lazy port and the 3DS version will be the one to play

so July for iOS and Autumn for 3DS

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that CDPR thing sounds like an E3 publicity stunt to me

this is the same company that "shut down" GOG.com as a joke once

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/Fern_hw/status/873227654509604864

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

You should probably start mentally preparing yourself for Stan Lee too.
i've been expecting June Foray but I think she might actually be magica despell and will live forever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like if june foray were to open her purse and a dime fell out, she would instantly turn into sand

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

im crawlin steamspy again. here apparently are the 10 most owned metroidvanias on steam (excising ones on the list that aren't)

#1 - arkham asylum (2.8m owners)
#2 - darksiders/warmastered (2.7m owners)
#3 - outland (1.2m owners because it went free for a day)
#4 - dust an elysian tail (1.1m owners)
#5 - ori & the blind forest (939K owners)
#6 - guacamelee (828K owners)
#7 - you have to win the game (641K owners, free game)
#8 - arkham origins blackgate (55K owners)
#9 - unEpic (461K owners)
#10 - Strider 2014 (420K owners)
just missing the cut: Aquaria (355K)

and now the sad part which is, metroidvanias I like and how unpopular they are

Song of the Deep (126K)
Odallus the Dark Call (113K)
Castle in the Darkness (48K)
Environmental Station Alpha (37K)
Super Panda Adventures (36K)
Rex Rocket (24K)
Mini-Ghost (10K)
Magicians & Looters (8K)
Alwa's Awakening (4K) :( :( :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

This list is missing the finest Metroidvania of all, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reavaaaaah
At least those games do have some owners. between 275K-300K each. they weren't tagged as Metroidvania though for some reason

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's inbetween but it's also new and I expect it to get a good amount of owners by years' end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also I wish Steam allowed a Zeldalike tag. maybe a generic term needs to be coined. find another game like zelda to merge with it (other than metroid)

zeldyne (zelda + anodyne)
zelhorn (zelda + oceanhorn)
ittleda (ittle dew + zelda)
zeldis (zelda + crystalis)
zelreaver
zelegacy

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 11, 2017

• Locked thread