Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

Valkyria Revolution (PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita and Xbox One)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWaldyiuUVY
[b]

My roommate had the Playstation 3 version of this, it was actually a pretty fun strategy game. I might get it if I ever actually finish the games I own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think you're thinking of Valkyria Chronicles (which already has a PS4 port). This is a sequel that is an action RPG for some reason, because Sega wasn't content with just killing the Shining series by making a previously amazing strategy rpg into a mediocre action rpg.

Oh. That kinda sucks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Annoying even if you turn the sound off because they spend six minutes running and circles and then two minutes doing the thing, so you have to scan through the video to find it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I'm gettin a hankerin to play through Final Fantasy VII again but I'm too lazy to dig my PS2 out of my closet. And apparently the PC version of the game is historically bad. This is the worst situation to happen in the history of the world

I think it's on the PS4 digital store if that helps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Come to think of it, does the PS digital DL version of FF7 have the Wii U Virtual Console save state thing?

I wonder if I can use that to cheese the random seed and finally get that worthless blue materia from the chocobo races that's a random drop.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

You're talking about either Sneak Attack or Counter Magic, neither of which are "worthless" :colbert:

I guess they're not worthless worthless, but they definitely do not warrant being the hardest materia in the game to get, because of how often they just won't show up as a racing prize.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If it's two things that Nintendo will never figure out how to do, it's easy, understandable, online gaming and how to add features without selling a bucketload of irritating peripherals and rules. Why can't we play Triforce Heroes with two people? Did anyone actually manage to play the multiplayer on Four Swords or Four Swords Adventures? Why can't we play Hyrule Warriors over an internet connection? Why does the Wii U store interface seem to actively try to make me quit before I make any purchases? I don't know, but I'll be buying the consoles and yelling at the sky as long as they keep making Zelda and Mario. All hail Lady Hylia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't know why people make a point of saying the Nintendo store interface is bad when the PS4 store interface is literally the worst console storefront I have ever seen and I have to just ignore it in favor of the website.

To each their own, I guess, but I like the PS4 store, at least compared to the Wii U one. For one, DLC automatically installs and lets you know that it has, whereas with Nintendo, you have to restart the software for half the games. The PS4 one just feels like Steam with (admittedly not great) console UI. The Wii U one feels like you're locked in the Malo Mart and he won't let you buy anything unless you win a shooting gallery mini-game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

Nintendo's shops not having virtual shopkeepers like Beedle or Wario is a huge missed opportunity

I'd want to buy enough games just to get the Complimentary Card.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Duck Hunt Dog shows up and points at you and laughs when your credit card is declined.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

raditts posted:

If I think about it though, I can't think of a game storefront I actually like. I guess Steam and the Xbox 360 Marketplace were the least bad, but I hesitate to call them good.

Yeah, it must be hard to design, because the part of the whole experience in which I exchange money always seems like it has the most hurdles and the worst UI. I'd rather look for an individual alchemy ingredient in my endgame Witcher 3 file.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good morning, gamers. Last night Salvatore mailed me the gem I was waiting for in Phantom Hourglass, at long last, and I used it to power up the wisdom fairy. Tonight I'm going to stream Horizon Zero Dawn and make some honey rhubarb chicken. Then Saturday, I am going to try to get through most of the rest of Phantom Hourglass and make some lettuce steak cups, and on Sunday, my brother is coming over and we will play Final Fantasy 15, and maybe in the morning I'll visit my grandfather, my other brother, and my niece for their weekly breakfast. It's a good weekend for games, food and family.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Giygas or Lavos, I think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

raditts posted:

I know saying anything bad about Earthbound is harem, but Giygas was a pretty dull battle imo.

:words:

It is probably one of the most memorable things that ever happened in video games for me, lol.

I got to the end late at night and figured I'd stretch it and try to beat it. I guessed I was supposed to use the "prayer" command but there's a point where it tells you it does nothing and I figured "Okay, now I have to beat him the regular way," so I tried and tried and kept getting slaughtered. For over an hour I tried and re-tried, and it was into the wee hours of the morning and I was starting to get loopy. I took a break. I was talking to an ex girlfriend over AIM at the time and things were kind of intense and on edge. We hadn't talked in two years and had just started sort of reconciling, I was dating another ex, which she was inexplicably really angry about, and my roommate and I were parting ways, mostly over how tired he was of me and my ex-girlfriend drama, which she was felt responsible for. Something was glitched on her AIM, unknown to me, that caused her to just repeat the same IM over and over again, erasing whatever she had actually written. So at like 3 AM, I got four messages, spaced about a minute apart that was just this (with my real name):

Bicyclops...
Bicyclops...
Bicyclops...
I'm so cold.

I was going through so much poo poo at the time and it was so late at night, I almost started to think that the game had gotten real, and there wasn't a prayer in the world that could save me.

:words:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*nods*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked Mother 3 a lot, and like it more having some space from it, but it felt more like it was trying to be intensely depressing, disturbing and weird from the get-go, whereas with Earthbound, it was always weird, but the disturbing and depressing stuff kind of sneaked up on you, which was made it so effective.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have caught the mighty Neptoona and tasted of the victory heart piece.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

Battleborn put out a 10gb patch yesterday to add........................................ hats

hats are important. just ask Super Mario.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

you heard o' the 10 gallon hat? well this here is a 10 GB hat, buckeroo. *activates blue tooth speakers around the room that all say "IT'S HIGH NOON!"*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think my response to a bad game coming out is to laugh at how bad it is, but to be happy for the people who enjoy it despite its badness, unless they're huge assholes when you say what you don't like about it or something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

I dunno why but I'm reminded of how Nintendo kept getting feedback that codename steam being so slow was frustrating, that they should speed up the enemy turns, and despite being told this multiple times they still didn't do anything about it until after release when the main reviews came in saying the same thing that people had been telling them before hand.

Man I wish codename steam was actually a good game instead of just a middling "eh" game. I love the concept and idea behind it but that whole game just seems like a series of missed opportunities.

That whole thing was so weird. They showed it behind closed doors at E3 and let people tweet about it like it was some kind of deep secret and it turned out that the secret was "This isn't very good."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The true endboss of gamers is the pull of work, family, friends, and a limited budget, each of which prevents us all from playing all of the games that we want to play before we die.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

The first of those is enough. No need to try to boss rush it.

It's all of them together, forming some kind of horrible monstrosity called The Time Devourer (not the Chrono Cross one, scarier).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It actually just seems like a quick, fun exchange between a few gimmick accounts :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, as far as advertising goes, it's better than virtually ever commercial I can remember having to sit through, or flash ads, or Facebook sidebar ads, or the godawful ones that I have to see on the subway every morning.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phantasium posted:

I just find it hilarious that people are paid to roleplay mascots online by the companies themselves.

Just imagine going to a party and when somebody asks what you do, you say "Well, believe it or not, I'm Mega Man."

If you imagined the reason that you're saying it is because you're probably an unpaid intern and saying "I'm Mega Man" sounds better than that, you are probably right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

in the good games they say wark. in the bad games they say kweh :twisted:

This is a kweh-stionable post at best. All the old games were updated to "kweh" anyways, so I'm not sure you premise warks on the face it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The only fighting game I play is the Smash Brother, so I can beat up my favorite Nintendo mascots, and I don't think fighting game people think it;s a fighing game anyway? Also I am not good at it at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've just learned not to care how how other people play their video games but I don't play with Project M/tryhard players because they're not going to have any fun kicking me into the sky over and over again before I can move, nor will I have any fun while they concentrate intensely instead of getting drunk and laughing when some player accidentally walks Fox off the edge.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, it's cool, I think if people want to have a tournament around something they're good at, then okay, but it's not really designed for that. Like I'm sure there's a Jenga tournament somewhere in the world but I'm not hosting it at my house.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Greetings, threadlingers. I sailed my way out of Phantom Hourglass in a ship made of gold, but now, at the second time that I have to play the flute for the snow guy in Spirit Tracks, I want to run him over with the train. gently caress the microphone mechanics. I will have to get past it eventually; all of the Zelda games must be 100 percented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

And yet still I must, for I am compelled. At least I still have the save state.

• Locked thread