Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Help Im Alive posted:

So is the new Valkyria bad
Sure isn't getting a lot of good buzz out of the gate at least
https://twitter.com/HurdyIV/status/879699247024586758

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

corn in the bible posted:

tales of berseria is good though
I bought Berseria on sale back in like January, and I'm really excited to play it, but I've come to terms with the fact that in all actuality I'm all but certain to not get around to it until 2018. I really want to finish Persona 5 and BOTW and even that's not a guarantee that I'll be able to finish both before the end of the yet given all the other games that are coming out or have come out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Late to the status effect discussion, but it was a lot of fun how it worked in Trails of Cold Steel, where you are more or less pushed into putting status-effecting quartz (most famous Delay to prevent the enemy from getting any turns) on all your physical attackers because of their quartz line setup. This doesn't necessarily make them work better, but by virtue of having so many on so many attackers who attack so frequently, even with a low % you end up nailing a ton of mobs and even bosses with an array of debuffs that help out a ton.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I tried the Trails of game up on PS Now and bounced right off. Is there a particularly good place to start with that series?
The first one, Trails in the Sky. Sky is a trilogy consisting of that game, SC, and the 3rd, and it's really not possible to skip any of them because it's a connected/episodically-told story and the story/cast owns a lot. The Sky games are slightly dated but the gameplay is still very solid, especially if you play on Steam with cheatengine to speed it up. Worth noting that you literally cannot play the 3rd on a Vita/PSP because Xseed didn't bother to release it there (because why would they in 2017). As an obligatory heads up, the first Sky game is notoriously a slow burn that spends a lot of time on world building, but it's definitely worth it in the end.

Alternatively the Cold Steel games on PS Vita/PS3, which are also excellent and though they take place in the same world/timeline they are self-contained enough that starting there would not leave you lost. I'd still start with the Sky games, though.

E: I have no idea what Trails game was on PS Now that you bounced off of, though I'm assuming it was Cold Steel 1.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 29, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So it's just a super weak opening? I was wondering why so many games posters were raving over the series. I admit that I gave it about twenty minutes of game time to grab me and it didn't, but with so many goons praising the series I want to give it another shot.

So play in order if possible, check! I actually don't have a vita or psp. May have to just catch up via LP.
All of the first games in the Trails trilogies/duologies have to some degree some slow openings, and Cold Steel 1 is compounded by having a fairly generic initial premise if you were not already familiar with that world in general. At the very least yeah 20 minutes is nowhere near enough time to get to know any of these games, they are games known for their worldbuilding and that's not something built overnight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh hahaha I completely forgot about how Cold Steel 1 starts with a dungeon that's a flashforward in the plot, I thought you were talking about the part immediately after that where they're just joining the school. God that intro feels like two lifetimes ago. Anyways that part is just a little clumsily handled in general, you were probably right to raise an eyebrow at it, I've somehow completely driven it from my memory despite loving those games a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cowcaster posted:

as a person who's only played revengeance, ground zeroes, and v, because they are the only metal gear games that are readily available on pc, mgs2 seems like the most interesting metal gear game to me
I bought a PS2 primarily because of FFX and MGS2, despite not playing the first game. I liked it at the time but was thoroughly confused and never bothered with the franchise again until a year or so ago. MGS2 totally holds up, it's what I feel is the distillation of the entire formula up to that point (meaning the MSX games and MGS1) which obviously was shaken up tremendously by MGS3. It does some infamously weird poo poo at the end that was probably infuriating a bit at the time but now is rather charming. I also still really like the "you play as Raiden" twist despite not liking Raiden at all.

• Locked thread