Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Quest For Glory II posted:

turn based combat is good but the PSOne FFs have a battle framerate of like, 5 frames per second

And horrendous load times for transitioning into battle.

corn in the bible posted:

Not as bad as you thinking ff7 was turn based lmao

I'm pretty sure you need to look up some definitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think FF8 and 9 have a lot of issues but I can see why people like them, but people who like Chrono Cross just puzzle me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FF7 isn't a perfect game but I kind of admire how jam-packed it is. Like they wanted to make it the Biggest! JRPG! Ever! So it has tons of really elaborate mini-games and side content and hidden bosses that don't really make the game better but make it have more "stuff" in it. It never "coasts" or tries to stretch out the content it has, it just keeps adding more and more poo poo, probably to the point that it becomes a detriment. It reminds me of Symphony of the night, which is similarly bursting with content beyond the point of reason.

Phantasium posted:

It's great because you can skip the trash battles and the boss fights are mostly fun puzzles and the whole thing has a beautiful aesthetic.

I hate the aesthetic of the game, it's like a theater troupe had to create the illusion of a full fledged world overnight using only circus tents and garment.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 28, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some jrpgs where status effects actually mattered?

I wanna say shadow hearts had some that mattered because everybody had the potential to be overpowered in that game and if you didn't do your buffs right, you could get absolutely wrecked, but if you did do your buffs right, you could stunlock even bosses.

Earthbound has some pretty darn useful ones. FF5, well, it still suffers from Final Fantasy mainstream series' biggest problem of being the series that introduced the idea of status ailments and death spells being pointless, but there are edge cases where that stuff suddenly becomes crazy useful and can be used to completely break bosses. You can look at the fiesta thread for some details.

Help Im Alive posted:

This is my favourite

*miss*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DLC Inc posted:

Golden Sun is absolutely horrendous and it never fails to surprise(?) me when every few months there's a neogaf thread about "Golden Sun: a masterpiece"

quite possibly the worst loving RPG story ever created, with some of the most braindead "puzzles" I've ever played

Someone in a previous chat thread posted about how it was "truly the best jrpg of all time" or something like that in this very year. Or maybe it was a chat thread on a different forum. Like, I can totally understand having nostalgia for it if you played it as a kid, but man is that not a good game.

The absolute worst sin of the game is how the already incredibly slow and over-expositing dialogue is constantly interrupted by emoticons that take like 3 entire seconds to pop up.

The only thing the game has going for it is that, for an early GBA Jrpg, it sure was pretty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I heard they brought back Triple Triad for FF14, that would be the biggest incentive for me to go check it out

Much like Gwent, I don't see how Triple Triad can work if it's balanced to be a multiplayer game. The whole fun of those games is gradually gaining an incredibly overpowered deck and crushing people.

The White Dragon posted:

my favorite part of golden sun is where you need to cast water magic while in a tornado, except if you open the menu too late, the game disables inputs so it can kick you back to the world map

Mine is how its version of Mode 7 allowed it to make you fight enemies that were not only recolors, but also blown up to twice the size of the original enemy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Golden sun is dogshit the opening is like more meaningless text than my posts when i get off work itt.

Like 50 bubbles from every character for an hour

The amount of text between the last point you can save and the actual final boss fight is downright criminal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Just play Lufia II if you want Golden Sun's neat puzzle donjon gameplay without the bad "seven hundred million lines of dialogue" plot

Lufia 2 is such a good loving game. Lufia 1 is like.... fine, it's a very very standard jrpg that has too much NES in its aesthetic for a SNES game, and Lufia 3 has a lot of really good points but suffers from being a GBC game and bad procedurally generated dungeons. But 2 is so loving solid. Some of the best dungeon design in any game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Why do people pay attention to Notch? He doesn't make anything anymore or work with anyone, he just sits around and tweets all day.

Ladies and gentlemen the next President of the United States, Notch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ostentatious posted:

if i could trade places with notch i probably wouldnt his life seems like a neverending hell and rotted candy

I mean aside from his likely unhealthy body, you could just not act like a complete douche and then you'd be a billionaire without any of his problems.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Twin Snakes might be my favorite Metal Gear.

I see you like to play SUPER MARIO SUNSHINE!!!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This fly buzzing around is really tough. I landed at least 4 solid hits on it and it's still flying around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Live footage from my computer room:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNf7dFGME8&t=6s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Like, there are so many times I wish I had notch's level of money because I know I'd at least do something good with it.

Basically I'd do what Richard Garriott does because Richard Garriott owns, gently caress the haters. That guy is just happy as can be and uses his money to do stuff he thinks is cool like picking up old artifacts or building neat mansions or going to space, and afaik Richard Garriott isn't an rear end in a top hat so he's like the anti-notch

I would buy every games poster a giant Kirby plush toy.

Except for video games.

I would buy him TWO!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

You ever have one of those eureka moments where you get this really bright idea for something except you know it's actually a really stupid idea and you have no idea why your brain is treating it as a bright idea?

I have forced myself awake several times because I was convinced I had dreamed a great novel/movie/short story idea. Then I wake up and rush to the notepad and it's basically "Beef..... stew".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4-kP8Ps8ys&t=159s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

To be fair, beef stew is pretty great.

It's too great. It doesn't have flaws to wring pathos from.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

Crash was sold out everywhere I checked today and I didn't preorder so I have to download it ugh

Hello Bizarro Lurdiak. What's it like to enjoy physical media cluttering up your life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What *is* Knack

It's like Bubsy I think.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Maybe something based on what's coming out:

July
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4) - July 11
Fable Fortune (Xbox One, PC) - July 11
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (PS4) - July 18
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy (iOS, Android) - July 20
Splatoon 2 (Switch) - July 21
Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (Switch) - July 25
Fortnite Paid Early Access (PS4, Xbox One, PC) - July 25
Pyre (PS4, PC) - July 25
Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (PC) - July 27
Hey Pikmin (3DS) - July 28

Umm,..wow. That sure is a list of games.

The gently caress you doing trying to act like Splatoon 2 isn't a big deal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:yeah:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Can't wait for idiots to buy this en masse to stick it to some imaginary enemy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

An LP group I liked played ARMS recently and 100% of the youtube comments are about which character people want to gently caress and how excited they are that hentai artists will be drawing them.

Lurdiak is sad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Andrast posted:

Don't read youtube comments

I have an extension that hides them but sometimes I turn it off for specific vids where the comments can have good info and forget to turn it back on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

That humanity's default state is 'horny af' shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, much less anyone who spends time on the internet.

I think you're doing humanity a disservice by comparing them to youtube commenters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vkm2YLb1xo&t=605s

Hey I know that guy.

homeless snail posted:

People being incredibly horny, is better than people being incredibly murdery, IMO

I'm fairly certain "jacking off to video game characters" and "mass murder" aren't the only choices.

• Locked thread