Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
hey guys whats going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

Preach brother. gently caress I hate my work iPhone. I don't do poo poo-all with it other than email/text work people, and still it has needed 2 resets in 6 months.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Plus, when it does gently caress up, Apple has the tools to fix the problem buried in the most non-intuitive place and when you find them, the tools don't work for poo poo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Only just heard about https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rally, anyone know of similar events (cheap/bad cars, relatively low registration fee) in the Southwest? If I can get some friends to commit we could even trailer the 164 or the 280ZX out to the California rally... a Ranger can tow a car+trailer all the way from New Mexico to California, right? :getin:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 1, 2017

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

The way you typed it appended an apostrophe and the link doesn't work, here's it fixed^

This sounds super cool and exciting and I wanna follow a thread about it.

edit:

quote:

Scoring:

Performance:
+60 for finishing the day
+10-150 for optional checkpoints and challenges en route
+0-150 for creative roadside repairs
+ / - 0-150 for tickets and arrests (how good's your story?)

Who Made Your Hooptie?
-50 for Japanese
-20 for German (but +50 for German diesel)
+100 for Italian
+125 for French
+150 for English
+250 for Warsaw Pact

When Did They Make It?
+75 for 1980s
+100 for 1970s
+170 for 1960s
+200 for 1950s
+250 for pre-1950

How Butt-Turrible Is It?
+0-66 for hooptieness of marque & model
+0-66 for hooptieness of this particular example
+0-66 for hooptieness of driver & passenger

Deductions & Additions
-2500 for showing up in a press loaner
-250 for wearing Pilotis
+300 for bringing a Beetle-pan kit car
+50 for Designer Edition (Bill Blass, Givenchy, Levi’s, etc)
-300 for using phrase “double apex”
+70 for best YouTube post of the day
-0-900 for being a general douchenozzle
+0-100 for junkyard parts gained en route
+0-250 for ridiculous themes &/or outfits

I love how few fucks the LeMons guys give

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 1, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey good news I don't have to worry about my wife finding the title for the Explorer anymore...and after nearly 10 years I took full coverage off this like 3 months ago because it just sits in the driveway!

This doesn't even begin to demonstrate what happened to my neighborhood

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Your child is adorable.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Your child is adorable.

She is! The oldest is great too, but she is at grandma's

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I took the Focus in for a couple of stupid recalls a couple weeks ago. Went in on Wednesday morning, and they needed the car all day since one of the recalls was replacing all the door latches and was a 4 hour job. The other recall was reprogramming the Body Control Module (BCM) to stop the rear hatch from opening if I hit the hatch release button while moving under 4mph. I decided to let them go ahead and change the oil since I was planning to drive the car into Mexico over the holiday weekend, even though I have all the stuff to do it myself and have been since I got the car.

Call from the dealer around 2pm, so I figure it must be done... umm.. nope. Everything is done except the BCM, which about half-way through the re-program became unresponsive and apparently is now an electronic brick. They are getting a replacement sent in next-day. Not a huge deal for me since I am working from home on Thursday too. Thursday comes.. The dealership has the new BCM, but Ford won't authorize the installation without doing a bunch of testing, so they get me a rental car.

The only rental available that is a "Ford" which is required under their warranty rentals is a full sized F-150. Yay for doing my 110 mile daily commute in a gas hog and no way to fit it in my garage now that temps are hitting triple digits. Luckily the rental place was cool, and on Saturday morning they swapped me into a new Focus, and gave me a full tank of gas and marked the form to bring it back empty, so that was nice.

Anyway, crap goes back and forth between the dealership and Ford until Monday afternoon they call me and tell me that Ford has flown an engineer out to work on my car. Finally, on Wednesday afternoon, the day before I'm leaving on vacation, they call and say it's ready, so I go down to pick it up and drop off the rental. The dealership gives me the oil change for free, which I thought was a nice gesture, should have included a new cabin air filter on that service!

I drive off on Thursday, and around 2pm I get a call from a Ford regional CS Rep. The dealership had escalated the problem at Ford, and she wanted to 'Make up for my inconvenience' by offering me free service calls for some long period of time (I don't remember how long), but I told her that I do all the maintenance on the car myself, as I don't like dealing with the hassle of taking it into the dealership. So.. she shocked me a bit, and told me that they would be attaching a 5yr/100,000 mile ESP+ warranty to the car, and I would be getting the paperwork in the mail in about 6 weeks, but it would be active immediately.

TLDR - Ford took 8 days to do a 1 day recall, so gave me a free oil change and an extended warranty for the hassle.

My car has almost 61k miles on it and has been out of warranty since 36k, so that's kind of cool, and my car will once again be under warranty, at least for the next 18 or 20 months until I top 100k.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Locator posted:

So.. she shocked me a bit, and told me that they would be attaching a 5yr/100,000 mile ESP+ warranty to the car, and I would be getting the paperwork in the mail in about 6 weeks, but it would be active immediately.

Wow, that was not the resolution I was expecting, and pretty impressive. I've had much worse experiences with superior German adhesive-purveyors.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

The Locator posted:

TLDR - Ford took 8 days to do a 1 day recall, so gave me a free oil change and an extended warranty for the hassle.

My car has almost 61k miles on it and has been out of warranty since 36k, so that's kind of cool, and my car will once again be under warranty, at least for the next 18 or 20 months until I top 100k.

Uh, something bad must have happened while it was in the shop. Like, killed an old gypsy woman bad.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Hey good news I don't have to worry about my wife finding the title for the Explorer anymore...and after nearly 10 years I took full coverage off this like 3 months ago because it just sits in the driveway!

If you have comprehensive that will be covered.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you have comprehensive that will be covered.

Unfortunately I think the "took full coverage off" means he dropped from comprehensive to collision.

Everdave: was that serious wind or rain or some combination of the two or what? We had a massive storm last August that did similar damage here--power was out to our house for two days and I know a lot of people had crushed cars and damaged roofs.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Only just heard about https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rally, anyone know of similar events (cheap/bad cars, relatively low registration fee) in the Southwest? If I can get some friends to commit we could even trailer the 164 or the 280ZX out to the California rally... a Ranger can tow a car+trailer all the way from New Mexico to California, right? :getin:

Roadkill did this in a recent episode. It seems like fun if you ignore the NE one is in the winter.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I hope y'all aren't using OneLogin to manage your passwords. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40118699

I'm probably over-reliant on Roboform... hopefully they are secure. :ohdear:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Magnus Praeda posted:

Unfortunately I think the "took full coverage off" means he dropped from comprehensive to collision.

Everdave: was that serious wind or rain or some combination of the two or what? We had a massive storm last August that did similar damage here--power was out to our house for two days and I know a lot of people had crushed cars and damaged roofs.

Correct, I took full comprehensive coverage off of it because I felt stupid paying for it all these years and it is literally just sitting in the driveway waiting on a title and me to fix some things to make it easier to sell.

Thankfully we were out of town when it happened, neighbors swear it was a tornado but officially it was 95 mile an hour straight line winds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it literally peeled back a rock lined creek intact with the line of trees like it was nothing. It is a miracle my house is undamaged.

I have been using a chainsaw for the past 3 days I am sitting here typing and my arms are vibrating.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

You don't seem to have much luck with cars man.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

everdave posted:

Correct, I took full comprehensive coverage off of it because I felt stupid paying for it all these years and it is literally just sitting in the driveway waiting on a title and me to fix some things to make it easier to sell.

Thankfully we were out of town when it happened, neighbors swear it was a tornado but officially it was 95 mile an hour straight line winds. The picture doesn't do it justice, it literally peeled back a rock lined creek intact with the line of trees like it was nothing. It is a miracle my house is undamaged.

I have been using a chainsaw for the past 3 days I am sitting here typing and my arms are vibrating.

Shouldn't that be something covered by homeowners insurance, not auto insurance given where and how it happened? Might want to check with your agent.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

The Locator posted:

Shouldn't that be something covered by homeowners insurance, not auto insurance given where and how it happened? Might want to check with your agent.

Yes, more than likely...BUT...I was very fortunate, massive damage all around but house fine. The city even removed all the mega trees on my street from yards (and off the explorer). Small town, nice people. I am not sure if will turn in???

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

Given how cheap it usually is and how much damage comprehensive actually covers its silly to not carry comprehensive. My wife and I both drive cars that are 10+ years old and have over 150k on the OD, but it literally costs $10/month for $500 deductible/$0 glass comprehensive coverage on both.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

I thought your daughter rolled the truck and took out the tree.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Darchangel posted:

I didn't know those even existed. I thought the V10 TDI was the rare bird in those.

There was an Audi Q7 with a V12 TDI too.

I can't find any productions stats for the W12, originally they were only Europe and Saudi but ended up coming over. I'm sure there's less than two thousand, maybe one thousand in the states. Also, this is in Montgomery TX and that guy has a hitch on it so he's probably pulling boats or a horse trailer with a 450 HP 6l v12. Good for him hah!

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've made a poo poo ton of OT from fallen trees...I would not have a pine tree or chinaberry within striking distance of my house.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Are we allowed to ask if 14 INCH is still alive in here?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think he can be contacted via Facebook if you're friends with him

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

a primate posted:

Are we allowed to ask if 14 INCH is still alive in here?

He's alive and posting on FB.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He's considering joining the circus.

No, really.

Unrelated: Apparently, Citroen built their last hydropneumatic suspension car today.

Wonder if they'll return to the tech in future.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

Given how cheap it usually is and how much damage comprehensive actually covers its silly to not carry comprehensive. My wife and I both drive cars that are 10+ years old and have over 150k on the OD, but it literally costs $10/month for $500 deductible/$0 glass comprehensive coverage on both.

This. It's too cheap not to have it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Unrelated: Apparently, Citroen built their last hydropneumatic suspension car today.

Wonder if they'll return to the tech in future.
Ah drat, that is sad. So the C5 was the last car to run that suspension?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

You Am I posted:

Ah drat, that is sad. So the C5 was the last car to run that suspension?
Some models, yes, not all of them.

The question is what they'll do as an equivalent next.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 1, 2017

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

same except samsung. I don't know how to use it and it doesn't work

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This. It's too cheap not to have it.

Man I agree, I am
Overinsured in all other areas, just literally thought I'd save $30 a month while it remained stationary. I'm not even upset though with the damage around me I am feeling blessed. But drat this would have solved a problem for me if I had kept it on!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aaaand now my a/c seems to be acting up. Airflow is fine and condenser fan is running, so something with the actual make-poo poo-cold side of things. Lovely.

Now to clean up my apartment before putting in a work order so they don't see how I live. :v:

E: it's 78 degrees and humid in my bedroom. but not in the fun way.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 2, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There'll probably be bitchin' chrome-plated robot arms within our lifetimes.

God I hope so. Everything from the knee down on my left side is getting replaced as soon as reliable cyberware is a thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of technological improvements to the human body, I am getting sick and loving tired of wearing glasses. They get dirty, fog up, don't stay put when you're sweating, get scratched easily and cost a fortune, double if you want a pair of prescription sunglasses as well. I want to be able to just buy cheap-rear end sunglasses if I need them, instead of having to lug around two pairs of expensive glasses, or dealing with heavy clip-ons.

What are you guys' experiences with contact lenses? Good, bad, "gently caress I ACCIDENTALLY TORE OUT MY CORNEA gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

My prescription is -0.5 in one eye, -0.75 in the other, very minor astigmatism (<0.25). I generally take off my glasses when I'm indoors, especially if I'm using a computer, because I find it less comfortable in regards to eyestrain to keep wearing the glasses. Dunno if this could be an issue.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 2, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Speaking of technological improvements to the human body, I am getting sick and loving tired of wearing glasses. They get dirty, fog up, don't stay put when you're sweating, get scratched easily and cost a fortune, double if you want a pair of prescription sunglasses as well. I want to be able to just buy cheap-rear end sunglasses if I need them, instead of having to lug around two pairs of expensive glasses, or dealing with heavy clip-ons.

What are you guys' experiences with contact lenses? Good, bad, "gently caress I ACCIDENTALLY TORE OUT MY CORNEA gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

My prescription is -0.5 in one eye, -0.75 in the other, very minor astigmatism (<0.25). I generally take off my glasses when I'm indoors, especially if I'm using a computer, because I find it less comfortable in regards to eyestrain to keep wearing the glasses. Dunno if this could be an issue.

Good.

All the issues you mention in your first paragraph disappear.

Downsides? Sometimes feel a bit dry at the end of a long day. If I sleep in them, it takes 3-5mins to get them comfortable again

10/10 would correct vision again.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

Will your homeowners'/renters' cover that, given that the damage is the result of a part of your property falling on it? Or is it likely to go under acts of god?

KozmoNaut posted:

I've had good luck with them myself. Switched because paintball masks and glasses just don't loving work. Just be paranoid and anal about your cleaning routine and/or replacing disposables on time, having an eye infection and also being blind again because you forgot to rinse them sucks.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 2, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KozmoNaut posted:

Contact lenses are amazing. I lost my glasses in a club several years ago and switched to wearing contacts pretty much full time after that. One of the best decisions. It's especially nice because they correct your entire vision including peripheral which will probably be the first thing you notice particularly if you wear thin frames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can't even handle putting eyedrops in my eyes, much less contacts.

But I also buy my glasses from optical4less and Zenni. Yeah, they're ugly, they take forever to show up, but they're also really cheap. The two I wear the most are identical except for one set being tinted/polarized, I think I paid ~$100 for the pair.

I may give Warby Parker a shot next time - they have a couple of retail locations locally, so I can actually go in and try things on.

• Locked thread