Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Downsides? Sometimes feel a bit dry at the end of a long day. If I sleep in them, it takes 3-5mins to get them comfortable again

I already have slightly dry eyes at the end of the day, but I figure maybe I'm just not drinking enough water. And I wouldn't sleep with them in, except maybe on accident.

I've noticed that since I started cleaning the area around my eyes before going to bed, they're a lot less crusty and "tired" in the morning.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've had good luck with them myself. Switched because paintball masks and glasses just don't loving work. Just be paranoid and anal about your cleaning routine and/or replacing disposables on time, having an eye infection and also being blind again because you forgot to rinse them sucks.

Oh yes, definitely. Any kind of protective eye gear, including motorcycle helmets are just a pain with glasses. They're uncomfortable, and they fog up so easily. Even 3D glasses are annoying, but I do tend to avoid 3D movies anyway.

I will probably be going for daily disposables, just to avoid the cleaning and possible infection hassles. And it makes losing a lens much less of a hassle.

fridge corn posted:

Contact lenses are amazing. I lost my glasses in a club several years ago and switched to wearing contacts pretty much full time after that. One of the best decisions. It's especially nice because they correct your entire vision including peripheral which will probably be the first thing you notice particularly if you wear thin frames

That's what I'm hoping, too. It's not like I don't have peripheral vision, my prescription is rather low, after all. But just having a full corrected field of vision would be cool again.

The only downside I can think of right now is that glasses tend to shield my eyes from wind, but I'll manage.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KozmoNaut posted:

I already have slightly dry eyes at the end of the day, but I figure maybe I'm just not drinking enough water. And I wouldn't sleep with them in, except maybe on accident.

I've noticed that since I started cleaning the area around my eyes before going to bed, they're a lot less crusty and "tired" in the morning.

Oh yes, definitely. Any kind of protective eye gear, including motorcycle helmets are just a pain with glasses. They're uncomfortable, and they fog up so easily. Even 3D glasses are annoying, but I do tend to avoid 3D movies anyway.

I will probably be going for daily disposables, just to avoid the cleaning and possible infection hassles. And it makes losing a lens much less of a hassle.

That's what I'm hoping, too. It's not like I don't have peripheral vision, my prescription is rather low, after all. But just having a full corrected field of vision would be cool again.

The only downside I can think of right now is that glasses tend to shield my eyes from wind, but I'll manage.

Not sure if its an option for you, but I know my brother went with Lasik corrective surgery for a lot of your reasons (hard to keep on while working on things, get dirty/scratched, etc. - everything that happens on a farm). He has been nothing but incredibly happy with it. The only glasses he owns now are the sun and safety kind, and its been a great change for him.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Contacts rule. I can't wear mine lately due to allergies, and I miss them. My eyes are similar to yours, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Siochain posted:

Not sure if its an option for you, but I know my brother went with Lasik corrective surgery for a lot of your reasons (hard to keep on while working on things, get dirty/scratched, etc. - everything that happens on a farm). He has been nothing but incredibly happy with it. The only glasses he owns now are the sun and safety kind, and its been a great change for him.

Aren't there complications? Like reduced nighttime vision and such?

Plus, my prescription may change in the future, my mom is at like -5 or -6, with moderate astigmatism.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

KozmoNaut posted:

Plus, my prescription may change in the future, my mom is at like -5 or -6, with moderate astigmatism.

I have astigmatism and my night vision has always been poo poo. Contacts or glasses didn't matter. I was severely near sighted. My glasses were always the thickest and strongest of anyone I knew.

I had lasik 11 years ago when I was 25. Maybe my prescription has changed a little since then but I still pass the vision tests for 20/20. Night driving is about the same. Best $2800 I ever spent on myself. I could not stand contacts, the putting them in, cleaning, removing before sleep and dry eyes were too much. LASIK is none of that and being able to wear sunglasses now kicks rear end.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

Drinking more water won't help. Use eye drops and just a single application early evening will make them feel awake for quite a while.
Buy the really expensive drops from the pharmacy - you only need a single drop per eye, so that tiny bottle lasts a long time

quote:

You can now enjoy a range of sunglasses, with a variety of tints, to protect your eyes/look cool in all weathers.

at the very moment, I have 3 pairs in my car, 1 pair in my bag and 6 pairs on the shelf next to me. None of them cost more than $10, so this collection is still less than the price of a single pair of prescription sunglasses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Drinking more water won't help. Use eye drops and just a single application early evening will make them feel awake for quite a while.
Buy the really expensive drops from the pharmacy - you only need a single drop per eye, so that tiny bottle lasts a long time

I figure I'll have to get eye drops made for use with contacts, right?

quote:

You can now enjoy a range of sunglasses, with a variety of tints, to protect your eyes/look cool in all weathers.

at the very moment, I have 3 pairs in my car, 1 pair in my bag and 6 pairs on the shelf next to me. None of them cost more than $10, so this collection is still less than the price of a single pair of prescription sunglasses.

That's true. Just the ability to buy any pair of cheap-rear end (UV rated, of course) sunglasses wherever I am, is a gigantic incentive.

I obviously need to get myself a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators (or knockoffs) with mirrored lenses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've gone through two periods of my life where I wore contacts regularly. Both times I came to the conclusion that I just don't like the maintenance required. I will gladly go get a set of trial disposables and wear them if I'm doing something like flying to Hawaii and intend on snorkeling a lot. Put them in right before I get to the beach, take them out and throw them away when I get out of the water.

My brother (who didn't have nearly as strong of a prescription as me to begin with) wore contacts exclusively for years and years. He finally went ahead with LASIK and couldn't be happier. Me, I'm too unnerved at the whole "lasers in your eyeballs" thing. I also figure I've only got a few years left before I need reading glasses anyway.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Me, I'm too unnerved at the whole "lasers in your eyeballs" thing. I also figure I've only got a few years left before I need reading glasses anyway.

That's my main beef with LASIK/LASEK. Also, as far as I know you have to have a prescription that's -1.0 or worse, and mine's not that bad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

KozmoNaut posted:

I figure I'll have to get eye drops made for use with contacts, right?

That's true. Just the ability to buy any pair of cheap-rear end (UV rated, of course) sunglasses wherever I am, is a gigantic incentive.

I obviously need to get myself a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators (or knockoffs) with mirrored lenses.

My optician recommended:

- don't know if you can get them in your country.
I think most that I saw said they were safe for lenses on the packet.

The tiny bottle lasted about 1.5 - 2 months.

Another bonus is that I can wear the cheap, but good, eye-protection and dump them when they get scratched.
So I tend to wear them more often when working on the car. Also, some good warned that there is risk from drill bits, so I pop on a pair for hanging pictures.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm not touching my eyes, thanks.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I may give Warby Parker a shot next time - they have a couple of retail locations locally, so I can actually go in and try things on.

You can actually request to have a few choices mailed to you to try on, and then you just mail them back. My wife did that a few times, it's a lot easier than driving into center city Philly to the shop.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm farting like a loving trooper today. :rip: anyone within 20ft

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

KozmoNaut posted:

He hasn't noticed any changes re: nighttime vision and whatnot. Prescription might move a bit more as you age, but he had his down over 10 years ago and zero issues since - he's still a perfect 20/20. He was mid-late 40's when he had it done, so I'm not sure how much that might affect "drifting" of your prescription. All I know is that he's happy as can be with not needing his glasses anymore.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
Lasik was the greatest thing I've ever done for myself. Money very well spent. Went from awful vision and a bad astigmatism to 20/20 overnight. It's a bit nerve wracking to let some guy laser up your eyes, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A friend of mine had lasik done and it hosed up her eyes, she has constant dry eye problems now and regrets having it done. There can be complications, so it's a risk just like any other procedure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I tried contacts for a while, but I was having to constantly use resetting drops, or everything got blurry. I wonder if maybe the drops recommended above might be an improvement.
I intend to get LASIK at some point, but $$. I absolutely hate glasses, for all the reasons above. It's lovely being under a car, and sweaty, trying to look at something, but your glasses keep sliding to one side or another. I'm functionally blind without these things.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Rear ended someone on the way home last night in my e46 wagon. I was pissed after three days of straight bullshit at work and stewing over having to head home just so I could spend my evening remoted in fixing someone else's mistakes. Poor description of what happened: SUV in front of me was cut off by a small sedan, which immediately led to the sedan locking her brakes to not hit the stopped SEMI in front of her. SUV locks his brakes. I'm over in la-la land wondering why I put up with the clusterfuck of a job I have and catch the brake lights just as tires start to screech. Que panic braking. The damage to the wagon: A perfect square hitch imprint in my license plate. No damage was done to any of the three cars involved. Shook hands and exchanged apologizes with the SUV driver , mildly cursed at the sedan driver, and went home. Upside: It 100% reset my mood. I'm finding my boss this morning and telling him to either fix the reporting/escalation problems or I'm out.

Did I mention I did my brakes Monday night?

I'm stopping on the way home, buying a nice loving steak and having dinner with my family tonight. Best way to end the week.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

I tried contacts for a while, but I was having to constantly use resetting drops, or everything got blurry. I wonder if maybe the drops recommended above might be an improvement.
I intend to get LASIK at some point, but $$. I absolutely hate glasses, for all the reasons above. It's lovely being under a car, and sweaty, trying to look at something, but your glasses keep sliding to one side or another. I'm functionally blind without these things.

It sounds like you got the wrong size lenses or something, they should stay put by themselves.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It sounds like you got the wrong size lenses or something, they should stay put by themselves.

They don't stay put all that well when your eyes keep drying out. I apparently don't make enough tears.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Get some prescription safety glasses. They can be had pretty cheaply and they make all the difference.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had PRK 8 years ago and I have mildly dry eyes from a clinical standpoint. 100% worth it. There are complications sometimes but it's pretty rare. I've also had stable vision for a very long time prior to that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

Rear ended someone on the way home last night in my e46 wagon. I was pissed after three days of straight bullshit at work and stewing over having to head home just so I could spend my evening remoted in fixing someone else's mistakes. Poor description of what happened: SUV in front of me was cut off by a small sedan, which immediately led to the sedan locking her brakes to not hit the stopped SEMI in front of her. SUV locks his brakes. I'm over in la-la land wondering why I put up with the clusterfuck of a job I have and catch the brake lights just as tires start to screech. Que panic braking. The damage to the wagon: A perfect square hitch imprint in my license plate. No damage was done to any of the three cars involved. Shook hands and exchanged apologizes with the SUV driver , mildly cursed at the sedan driver, and went home. Upside: It 100% reset my mood. I'm finding my boss this morning and telling him to either fix the reporting/escalation problems or I'm out.

I'm stopping on the way home, buying a nice loving steak and having dinner with my family tonight. Best way to end the week.

Glad that is all that happened. Life is too short for bullshit!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get some prescription safety glasses. They can be had pretty cheaply and they make all the difference.

Probably, but that's more $$ to spend. Damned daily glasses are already $300+. I'd love to have shades, etc. settled for Transitions, which work well, except when your in a car, because of the UV protection in the window glass.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

the spyder posted:

Sorry about the accident, any damage done to your bumper or just the license plate? Pretty lucky if its just the plate! Enjoy your steak. :)

I was involved in two really dumb accidents last year. Once I was in the drive thru getting coffee, when I accidentally let the clutch out in first gear and bumped the car in front of me. Apologized, looked and there was no damage so we didn't exchange info. Second one was rush hour morning traffic, left lane and traffic slows to a halt after being 55 and even though I saw the brake lights of the car in front of me go on I didn't brake hard enough at first, and bumped the guy in front of me. Pulled over, didn't see any damage but we exchanged info and I never heard from him.

And then this year was the double whammy that totaled my mustang. Luckily I can say that one was 100% not my fault.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Adjuster just called. Time to go car shopping. Wife totaled her Kia Soul yesterday, but thank God for full coverage plus gap coverage. Now all I need to worry about is if we have good enough credit to finance a new(to us) vehicle.

I think she wants to go up a size to the Kia Sorento...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Darchangel posted:

They don't stay put all that well when your eyes keep drying out. I apparently don't make enough tears.

I have that problem, constant dry eyes sucks.

About a year ago after trying all the usual drops, the doc prescribed me a drop called Restasis. The drops are expensive as gently caress and take 4-6 months to start showing results as they work with the normal cycle of tear duct replacement.

I can say that after a year though, it has nearly eliminated my dry eye symptoms and I am glad he prescribed these.

The doctor ran the visit and the drops as 'medium', not eye check up so that my insurance would cover things. The drops cost me $75 for a 90 day supply, but the doctor said to ignore the medication instructions to use the vials once and discard, and instead to use a vial until it's empty as long as it's not been open for over a week. This means that a vial lasts 1.5 or 2 days, instead of using a vial each morning and evening, so the 90 day supply actually lasts me over 9 months.

The cost for Restasis without insurance appears to be $1200 for the 90 day supply.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just got trapped on a hot crowded train next to the worlds smelliest man. I was close to retching after 30 mins of breathing through my mouth.

I'm now home, have had a shower and changed my clothes and I'm still having flashbacks.

Apparently he was on his way to go DJ psytrance somewhere in north wales for the weekend. I pity whoever has to share a train carriage with him on the way home!

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I wear the leave them in overnight for a month at a time semi disposable contacts. Got them in my 20's, after trying daily disposables in my teens - I was terrible at putting them in and barely wore them.

I wore the overnights constantly for about 5 years - month at a time, with maybe a day off in-between. My eyes stared to get a bit redder and dryer, so I started wearing them for <3 weeks and wearing glasses more often.

My vision is poo poo (-7.5 and -8.0 contacts) and I found contacts didn't give me as good vision as glasses, particularly at driving at night when lights get sparkly, so I tend to wear them less in winter.

I've thought about lasik but I don't think I would take the risk, I've worn glasses and contacts for almost 30 years, they are a pain in the arse but I'm used to them, and seeing as I'm happily married it's not as if I'm worried about looking like mr milk bottle glasses when I'm out charming the ladies getting drunk and going home alone.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Tomarse posted:

worlds smelliest man....
.....psytrance

Figures.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah psytrance doesn't exactly attract the cleanest of people. ...which is weird because the fans are usually firmly middle class.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Speaking of technological improvements to the human body, I am getting sick and loving tired of wearing glasses. They get dirty, fog up, don't stay put when you're sweating, get scratched easily and cost a fortune, double if you want a pair of prescription sunglasses as well. I want to be able to just buy cheap-rear end sunglasses if I need them, instead of having to lug around two pairs of expensive glasses, or dealing with heavy clip-ons.

What are you guys' experiences with contact lenses? Good, bad, "gently caress I ACCIDENTALLY TORE OUT MY CORNEA gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

My prescription is -0.5 in one eye, -0.75 in the other, very minor astigmatism (<0.25). I generally take off my glasses when I'm indoors, especially if I'm using a computer, because I find it less comfortable in regards to eyestrain to keep wearing the glasses. Dunno if this could be an issue.

Did contacts for 2 years - super light sensitivity and headaches ate the cats rear end. Just counting off the years until I get cataracts like both my folks and can get my lenses replaced. drat near same prescription as you. Won't get my corneas blasted because I need those intact to get the lenses changed out or so I've heard.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Tomarse posted:

Just got trapped on a hot crowded train next to the worlds smelliest man. I was close to retching after 30 mins of breathing through my mouth.

I'm now home, have had a shower and changed my clothes and I'm still having flashbacks.

Apparently he was on his way to go DJ psytrance somewhere in north wales for the weekend. I pity whoever has to share a train carriage with him on the way home!

Worked with a man in a grocery store that made a customer vomit when she came within 5 feet of him due to his BO.
We usually just breathed through our mouths and wiped away the tears as quick as we could. If he showered I'm certain he used onions cut in half for soap and deodorant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OH MY GOD I OWN A PT CRUISER

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Condolences.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Chop it into a convertible.

No, no, wait: chop it into a truck.

edit: just squint at THIS bad boy:

scuz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 2, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

I knew things couldn't go well for you for too long.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Start ordering front wheel bearings by the truckload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2001! 134k miles!

The power steering is screaming.

• Locked thread