Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Friday with family in town for the weekend visiting our new little girl. Of course work goes apeshit. Nothing that needs immediate attention, but more projects that will eat all my time next week and beyond. TGIF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Rhyno posted:

2001! 134k miles!

The power steering is screaming.

Assuming its the same PS system as the neon I'm pretty sure they screamed new.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Siochain posted:

Not sure if its an option for you, but I know my brother went with Lasik corrective surgery for a lot of your reasons (hard to keep on while working on things, get dirty/scratched, etc. - everything that happens on a farm). He has been nothing but incredibly happy with it. The only glasses he owns now are the sun and safety kind, and its been a great change for him.

I had Lasik done when I was in my mid-20s, approaching 40 now. It was one of the best decisions I've made. I had nighttime halos before the surgery - due to my eyes dilating more than most people, no worse afterwards. Since I'm approaching 40 I've already started to notice my eyes becoming slightly more farsighted. At some point I'll need reading glasses and/or to get a touch up done.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SCA Enthusiast posted:

It's pretty goddamned loud but otherwise it runs smoothly!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
June 2nd 2017 0700.
I have just finished (literally) shoveling (as in with a show shovel) the last of my poo poo out of my townhouse. I haven't slept or eaten in 2 days. I have to be at work in 3 hours but I'm not confident that the toolboxes are strapped down in the trailer well enough to make it to work and back.
I don't give a single gently caress, because I'm done.
I have triumphed. I have earned my trailer.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Sounds like Chrysler decided to steal Ford's PS technology.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

It's pretty goddamned loud but otherwise it runs smoothly!

Change the fluid before you condemn it. I bought a beater breeze that squealed bad and didn't boost at all. Changing it with a turkey baster and adding Lucas totally stopped it and a few changes later it started working again.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm so tired of searching cars. I finally went through the denial > grief > acceptance process and am ready to sell my NA Miata but I can't find a good value NC PRHT anywhere - prices are insane right now. I hope I don't have to wait until winter.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Cage posted:

Sorry about the accident, any damage done to your bumper or just the license plate? Pretty lucky if its just the plate! Enjoy your steak. :)

I was involved in two really dumb accidents last year. Once I was in the drive thru getting coffee, when I accidentally let the clutch out in first gear and bumped the car in front of me. Apologized, looked and there was no damage so we didn't exchange info. Second one was rush hour morning traffic, left lane and traffic slows to a halt after being 55 and even though I saw the brake lights of the car in front of me go on I didn't brake hard enough at first, and bumped the guy in front of me. Pulled over, didn't see any damage but we exchanged info and I never heard from him.

And then this year was the double whammy that totaled my mustang. Luckily I can say that one was 100% not my fault.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rdb posted:

Change the fluid before you condemn it. I bought a beater breeze that squealed bad and didn't boost at all. Changing it with a turkey baster and adding Lucas totally stopped it and a few changes later it started working again.

The PO says it's been leaking pretty bad for a while, they just top it up every week.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Any goons near Claremont, NC?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar posted:

I had PRK 8 years ago and I have mildly dry eyes from a clinical standpoint. 100% worth it. There are complications sometimes but it's pretty rare. I've also had stable vision for a very long time prior to that.

Same, PRK last year with really bad astigmatism.

I work outside in heat and humidity and at night, and contacts aren't allowed in an arc flash potential environment, even if I could wear them (tried, I can't). Being able to see without being dependant on glasses is amazing.

If I could wear contacts, and/or didn't have such poor vision, it may not have been a big deal but at this point definitely the right choice.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Agree!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I had LASIK about 9 years ago and it was totally worth it. My vision is still pretty much 'perfect' and I have never had any side effects. Not having to deal with glasses or contacts is pretty amazing.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Started on the next stage of my workshop!

Ive got 3.3m high walls, which is totally pointless over the workshop end, so im putting in a mezzanine at about 2.3m high to put a ceiling in and gain myself a 6m x 3m storage area above it. Unfortunately the shed frame isnt really strong enough for weight loading so im having to put in a stud wall under it to support it.

After this is in, time to paint that back half of the workshop floor with epoxy, then I can build all my benches and cupboards and FINALLY put some poo poo away!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Do you think dinosaurs tasted more like chicken or alligator?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Chicken, they became birds after all.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

From what i've tasted it's a little bitter, but the truck seems to love it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BigPaddy posted:

Chicken, they became birds after all.

But like, aren't alligators the dinosaurs that decided not to become chickens?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So uh, I like driving the PT.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

extreme_accordion posted:

Worked with a man in a grocery store that made a customer vomit when she came within 5 feet of him due to his BO.
We usually just breathed through our mouths and wiped away the tears as quick as we could. If he showered I'm certain he used onions cut in half for soap and deodorant.

How does someone like that even get hired at a grocery store, of all places? Did the hiring manager have no sense of smell?

Powershift posted:

Nah, reptiloids weren't dinosaurs. At least, I think that's correct.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

So uh, I like driving the PT.

The infection has spread to your brain

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

It's loud (hole in the exhaust) and the p/s sucks but man, it was just a smooth drive home tonight. I kind of want to keep it until it dies.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

based on the vehicle he acquired, the infection will starve.

Motherfuck those piles of dogshit. enjoy doing cambelts and a/c repairs on that piece of poo poo. I got hosed flatrate on those things only about twice before threatening to push my tools outta the shop.

(you *can* do a belt without removing the engine)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cursedshitbox posted:

based on the vehicle he acquired, the infection will starve.

Motherfuck those piles of dogshit. enjoy doing cambelts and a/c repairs on that piece of poo poo. I got hosed flatrate on those things only about twice before threatening to push my tools outta the shop.

(you *can* do a belt without removing the engine)

I'm going to feed is p/s fluid til it quiets down and not spend another dime on it. I seriously want to make the jump into a newer/better/faster car in April so I'm half tempted to sell both Mazdas and roll in this pile of poo poo til then.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I'm going to feed is p/s fluid til it quiets down and not spend another dime on it. I seriously want to make the jump into a newer/better/faster car in April so I'm half tempted to sell both Mazdas and roll in this pile of poo poo til then.

Man I know PT cruisers get a ton of hate but does anyone remember when they came out? People would crowd around one at a gas station. I say kudos for coming out with something like that no matter how bad repairs are.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I assume the same people who crowded around PT cruisers also believe that their non-preferred jarred salsa was made in new york city

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Mein Porsche is sold :(

I put it up for $stupid and I sold it today for $optimistic, tomorrow we finalize. I was really hoping I would keep it for the whole summer but the offer was good enough to part ways.

Guess it means I can go car shopping again.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rhyno posted:

I kind of want to keep it until it dies.

So for a week or two then?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Darchangel posted:

How does someone like that even get hired at a grocery store, of all places? Did the hiring manager have no sense of smell?

The interviewing guy/gal just came from 4 hours of making durian and surströmming smoothies before meeting with the dude?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Locator posted:

So for a week or two then?

It's 16 years old, I figure it's got a few months of life in it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Well given chickens ARE Dinosaurs ( as are all avids)..... there is you answer.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

No alligators may have been around at the time but they are not dinosaurs and never related.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So fun a/c update: still hot, and i realized the periodic buzzing noise I occasionally heard through my shower the last couple days was, not something in a neighboring unit, but my own circuit breaker panel. :stonk: It stopped after I flipped open the a/c circuit, so that's a neat wrinkle in whatever is wrong with it.

Air handler and a/c are on separate breakers, so I can at least have airflow. My ceiling fan is still dead; latest word is my mom wants to give me the one from her bedroom, which I was in. It's dinky and stuck on high (broken pull chain), but my room is smaller than that master bedroom and I'd never turn it off anyway.

And if it's too small, comedy option is I cad up some bigger blades and get them laser cut at the school. :v:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got the wall frames all done today - some of the gaps arent quite 450mm cos of minor fuckups but eh, it works.

Then we lifted the main beam in!

Tomorrow I put in all the frame joists and then look at going to get some yellowtongue structafloor down and i might FINALLY be able to get some of that poo poo off the floor and put up out of the way until i finish the cabinets off and paint the floor.

Then I buy the mill and lathe

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I'm watching my calories, so I'm drinking pure gin instead of fancy beers. I'm saving like 150 calories a drink :v:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I wish it worked out like that.

I tried the ATF and acetone mix and I can't believe how well it works. I found some old dexron 3 I've had since 1997 so it's no good for anything else, and bought some acetone yesterday. Mixed it up in an angry lady chilli oil jar and brushed it on the exhaust studs and nuts. (When I tried to undo the downpipe from the extractors the whole stud with nuts came off the extractors rather than just the nut, so the nuts are pretty well stuck on there even though I've tried wd40 and rp7 on them)

After applying the atf/acetone mix and letting it sit for an hour I just held the stud with locking pliers and it was easy to crack the nut loose and just unscrew it the rest of the way by hand. On a stud and nut covered in the surface rust that a 12year old car exhaust joint gets!
Pretty amazing , I read about it years ago and always thought it was BS, and didn't want to spend the money on ATF and acetone to find out.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Alarbus posted:

You can actually request to have a few choices mailed to you to try on, and then you just mail them back. My wife did that a few times, it's a lot easier than driving into center city Philly to the shop.

I know, but I'd probably wind up doing that for several weeks. I'd rather just walk in and try all of them on in one go. I'm pretty indecisive to begin with. I also have a big head, so finding frames that fit decently is kinda hard.

Both Dallas locations are pretty close to work. One is in a super snobby mall (Northpark Center), one is in a free standing building in a gentrified neighborhood (it was a really lovely neighborhood when I lived there, but that was 20 years ago). I'd go to the free standing one in the middle of the day, if/when I do go.

Cage posted:

Once I was in the drive thru getting coffee, when I accidentally let the clutch out in first gear and bumped the car in front of me. Apologized, looked and there was no damage so we didn't exchange info. Second one was rush hour morning traffic, left lane and traffic slows to a halt after being 55 and even though I saw the brake lights of the car in front of me go on I didn't brake hard enough at first, and bumped the guy in front of me. Pulled over, didn't see any damage but we exchang

This happened in the drive thru at a Pizza Hut I worked at.

The person that got hit was screaming about injuries and was threatening to sue the store if they didn't get their food for free. :laffo: (there was no visible damage to either vehicle)

Rhyno posted:

The power steering entire car is screaming begging to be put out of its misery

Enourmo posted:

So fun a/c update: still hot, and i realized the periodic buzzing noise I occasionally heard through my shower the last couple days was, not something in a neighboring unit, but my own circuit breaker panel. :stonk: It stopped after I flipped open the a/c circuit, so that's a neat wrinkle in whatever is wrong with it.

Air handler and a/c are on separate breakers, so I can at least have airflow. My ceiling fan is still dead; latest word is my mom wants to give me the one from her bedroom, which I was in. It's dinky and stuck on high (broken pull chain), but my room is smaller than that master bedroom and I'd never turn it off anyway.

Air handler and a/c are almost always on separate breakers. If it's just a straight air handler, or an air handler with a gas furnace, it probably runs on 120V, while your actual ac runs on 240V. If it's the typical electric furnace + air handler that gets shoved into every apartment here, it's 240V, but still on a separate breaker. If it's a heat pump + air handler setup, it's still probably 240V (electric backup heat). Air handler generally has the 24V transformer though.

Call your apartment's emergency maintenance if the panel is buzzing; in a lot of cities and states, lack of working ac in a rental is considered an emergency anyway. And don't change the fan yourself; your apartment maintenance can and will blame you touching anything in the place for the ac taking a poo poo (learned this the hard way, thank gently caress I was able to get that guy's boss involved, boss at least had a little bit of common sense).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryrobots posted:

Same, PRK last year with really bad astigmatism.

I work outside in heat and humidity and at night, and contacts aren't allowed in an arc flash potential environment, even if I could wear them (tried, I can't). Being able to see without being dependant on glasses is amazing.

If I could wear contacts, and/or didn't have such poor vision, it may not have been a big deal but at this point definitely the right choice.

I would consider PRK, but my prescription is not bad enough.

I can function well enough, even drive (not sure if legal, but I can) without my glasses. So I'm probably not in the target segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I can drive without my glasses. Doesn't mean it's a good idea. :v: (also I've always had a restriction on my license stating "corrective lenses required", even when I was 15)

Can I read street signs without them? No. Can I see the lane markers? Barely. Can I make out the shapes of various road signs? Eh, I can make out stop and yield signs. I can sort of make out the speedometer.

My vision really isn't that bad, if you just go by numbers - it hasn't changed a whole lot since I was 21 (I'm almost 39). But it seems like my focus is just kinda stuck now, whereas before I could at least focus on closer stuff, and any sharp contrast gives me a washed out spot in my vision a lot easier than it used to. Pretty sure I'll be wearing bifocals within a couple of years.

That said, I pretty much only wear my glasses if I'm driving or outside. I don't wear them at home unless I'm editing photos or doing something that requires not-fuzzy vision; navigating Netflix on the TV is a little challenging from the couch (have to squint), but if I'm, say, sitting at my desk, I can read what's on the monitor decent enough.

I can't stand the thought of contacts, and any kind of laser correction freaks me out. I can't even handle eyedrops, I'm not about to let someone stick frickin laser beams in my eyes.

e: huh, okay maybe my rx is a little worse than I thought.. just pulled it up, my bad eye is -1.00 on sphere, -0.75 on cylinder. Good eye is -0.50/-1.00. Don't remember what it used to be though..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 3, 2017

• Locked thread