Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

haven't heard back from maintenance yet re a/c

Someone please airlift an iceberg into my bedroom I am dying

You said the breaker for the outside unit was buzzing and you shut it off right? Try re-setting it back to 'On', see if it kicks on? Small chance maybe the breaker was in a failed 'half tripped' state and they may get you back going.

Better chance the breaker is bad, since it really shouldn't be sitting there making constant noise, but it's worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Enourmo posted:

Those mostly work by evaporative cooling, which requires dry air

Guess what I don't have in Orlando
A will to live?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryrobots posted:

You said the breaker for the outside unit was buzzing and you shut it off right? Try re-setting it back to 'On', see if it kicks on? Small chance maybe the breaker was in a failed 'half tripped' state and they may get you back going.

Better chance the breaker is bad, since it really shouldn't be sitting there making constant noise, but it's worth a shot.

I've tried that a few times including leaving it off all night, no change. And it's not constant, it buzzes (more like a rattle) for a second or so, then is quiet for a while, then repeats. Definitely gives the impression of something trying and failing to start.

I'll definitely have the guys look at it, but the switches feel good, panel is date coded 1998, and they're not stab loks; I'm inclined to think it's the a/c itself.

E: for what it's worth, the condenser fan outside is running just fine. I dunno if the breaker marked "a/c" is for that or for the compressor, but take that as you will.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

That's a shitter. How are you going to play it?

Tomarse posted:

I hope you have explained to him how he needs to go there and to have an awesome time.

I was kind of shocked when he brought it up to me because we don't really watch the news much, but it made me realize he pays more attention to it than I thought. The only thing I could come up with at the time is that it only happens in Europe so we'll be fine. It's sounds lovely but unfortunately it's pretty accurate, I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.
We don't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I was kind of shocked when he brought it up to me because we don't really watch the news much, but it made me realize he pays more attention to it than I thought. The only thing I could come up with at the time is that it only happens in Europe so we'll be fine. It's sounds lovely but unfortunately it's pretty accurate, I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.

You can always run the numbers and show how statistically, he's n times more likely to die in a car accident than at a show.

Also

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

spog posted:

You can always run the numbers and show how statistically, he's n times more likely to die in a car accident than at a show.

While this may be true, it's not necessarily comforting to everyone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

mariooncrack posted:

While this may be true, it's not necessarily comforting to everyone.

Especially not orange orang-utans
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871328428963901440

(actual quote: The Mayor had said this morning: "Londoners will see an increased police presence today and over the course of the next few days. There's no reason to be alarmed.")

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I live near Manchester and go to 1 or 2 gigs a week. I have been working in London a lot recently and went to one too there last week after which I walked home through borough market and got a train from London bridge station back to my hotel.

I don't worry about this stuff when going to any event because that would be poo poo and if I worried about all the poo poo that could kill me I would never leave the house.

You are more likely to die in a car crash... Does that stop you from driving anywhere or from enjoying driving your car?

He will be fine. There will be security who will check bags or likely not even allow you to take bags in. Maiden will be great.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would never worry about it for myself. But when you have kids you worry about everything :smith:

Tomarse posted:

He will be fine. There will be security who will check bags or likely not even allow you to take bags in. Maiden will be great.

I know, the chances of it happening here are even less than it happening over there. It's just sad that it's affecting my son to the point he felt the need to tell me about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 4, 2017

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Enourmo posted:

I've tried that a few times including leaving it off all night, no change. And it's not constant, it buzzes (more like a rattle) for a second or so, then is quiet for a while, then repeats. Definitely gives the impression of something trying and failing to start.

I'll definitely have the guys look at it, but the switches feel good, panel is date coded 1998, and they're not stab loks; I'm inclined to think it's the a/c itself.

E: for what it's worth, the condenser fan outside is running just fine. I dunno if the breaker marked "a/c" is for that or for the compressor, but take that as you will.

The compressor and fan are on the same circuit. That breaker just runs power out to the condenser.
It sounds like you've just got a bad cap. Either that or the compressor is toast.

But based on what you're saying, with the breaker buzzing intermittently, it's mostly likely trying to start, not getting enough power, and then shutting off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Perfect in every w... holy poo poo, $100! Ok, not quite perfect.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Weird, when that's the civilian casualty toll on one of his Wag the Dog random bombings in the middle east, he thinks it's a good thing. :thinkingfaceemoji:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

The compressor and fan are on the same circuit. That breaker just runs power out to the condenser.
It sounds like you've just got a bad cap. Either that or the compressor is toast.

But based on what you're saying, with the breaker buzzing intermittently, it's mostly likely trying to start, not getting enough power, and then shutting off.

If this was a house I'd have the access panels off and be checking stuff visually and w/meter. I'm leaving it alone though so they can't try and say I hosed with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My uncle sent this to me, love it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My uncle sent this to me, love it.

Oh, oh-whoa sweet tire o'mine

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Don't let terrorists stop you living or you'll miss sweet motorcycle flips

Old cars

This

And teddy bears flying kites!

Today was a good day at Countryfest. I've no images that show how stupidly huge some of the kites were but they were easily the size of busses

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I should buy a kite and a bunch of Styrofoam planes...
I do have a 2 and a half year old niece to entertain like once a week after all

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So far today I fixed an old Selectric typewriter, figured out how to stop my wife's bike's front tire from wiggling (loose hub), and got a start on finally cleaning the garage a bit. Satisfying.

We're heading to Lowes in a bit for a couple paving stones to make a path in the yard, day's not over yet :getin:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Welp, bought a memory foam mattress a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's giving me a sore back in the mornings. On the other hand, my wife is finally sleeping worth a drat, so maybe I'll get used to it

Cut it in half and replace your half.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Cut it in half and replace your half.
If I understand it right, sharing a bed actually reduces quality of sleep, but because people get used to it and suffer a certain amount of separation anxiety if they then sleep apart, it becomes at that point the "better" option.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife and I have joked about double-sized bunk beds.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My wife and I have joked about double-sized bunk beds.
Quite seriously, it seems some people find separate beds work out really well for them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Separate beds really cut down on snuggling, and that's just unacceptable.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Sleeping with someone immediately next to you also exposes you to 2.5% of the yearly "safe" allotment of radiation, so there's that to consider

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

Sleeping with someone immediately next to you also exposes you to 2.5% of the yearly "safe" allotment of radiation, so there's that to consider
As The Guess Who sang, "Americium woman, stay away from me..."

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Welp, bought a memory foam mattress a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's giving me a sore back in the mornings. On the other hand, my wife is finally sleeping worth a drat, so maybe I'll get used to it

I'm so ready for a new mattress. We're on our third in 8 years and they have all been total shite. Seriously considering one of those $3k mattresses my parents have they both rave about. I'm a hot sleeper and if there was a refrigerated bed I would seriously consider one.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Weird, when that's the civilian casualty toll on one of his Wag the Dog random bombings in the middle east, he thinks it's a good thing. :thinkingfaceemoji:

The emote you are looking for is :thunk:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Went to Summit Racing to buy some silicone couplers for my new charge pipes. Their system is weird in that if you search for a given inlet/outlet size it won't look for the opposite, so I was having a hell of a time trying to find the 2.75 to 2.5 coupler but searching the reverse brought it up right away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone recommend a good low profile floor jack that leaves room to lift low cars? My 1.5 ton HF is too short/tall to use under my LS430, it fits under there but I can't move the handle enough to do squat. I'd probably be better off with a 2 or 3 ton anyway.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My 164 leaks at the corner of the windshield. I've tested by pouring water right there and sure enough it drips into the cabin. Is there any option to DIY, or do I just want to take it to a glass shop? My concern with a shop is they're not gonna be getting a lot of old cars and might gently caress up.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Holy poo poo do want.

The Locator posted:

That's just what shirts built like actual hockey jerseys cost.
Sucks, but they all cost that.

Edit: a friend has the Doctor Who one from there. It's really well made, and seems to be made just like a real sports jersey, with sewn on letters and numbers.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 5, 2017

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Dear Corvette owners: If you find yourself in Bowling Green at the Corvette museum, please don't stop in the middle of the road to frame up your car with the museum as the backdrop using your ipad. Believe it or not, we people that live behind the museum use that road too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo do want.

Edit: a friend has the Doctor Who one from there. It's really well made, and seems to be made just like a real sports jersey, with sewn on letters and numbers.

drat right. Customizable name and number? $100 is a loving steal.

Edit: But shipping should be less than $15. Jesus.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Anyone recommend a good low profile floor jack that leaves room to lift low cars? My 1.5 ton HF is too short/tall to use under my LS430, it fits under there but I can't move the handle enough to do squat. I'd probably be better off with a 2 or 3 ton anyway.
Maybe get a couple chunks of 2x12 to drive up on? It'll only get you another inch and a half, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than another jack.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The Locator posted:

Yeah, they're not exactly cheap, but they're also pretty high quality fully custom hockey jerseys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wish they had a mock up configurator on the site so you could see what it would look like.

We could all pitch in on a 14 DICK one.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

InitialDave posted:

Quite seriously, it seems some people find separate beds work out really well for them.
My parents have never routinely slept in the same bed. He worked nights and they had opposing schedules, and when he retired they got separate beds. 30...8 years? Something like that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

HF has a low profile steel jack that has really good reach

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pump-62310.html

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo do want.

I'm a horrible nerd, so I ordered Rockastansky, #79. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

Those mostly work by evaporative cooling, which requires dry air

Guess what I don't have in Orlando

Why haven't you called the emergency maintenance line yet?

They may be required to put you up in a hotel while the a/c is broken (depends on local law).

• Locked thread