Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Maybe get a couple chunks of 2x12 to drive up on? It'll only get you another inch and a half, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than another jack.

The one I have is pretty old and has a hard time with bigger cars, it barely lifted my brother's truck. I think it might be time for a new one if I'm gonna be lifting heavy vehicles now.

BraveUlysses posted:

HF has a low profile steel jack that has really good reach

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pump-62310.html

I wonder how heavy it is :v: I don't have a garage, so I have to transport it between my carport and shed.....Could probably use a hand truck to move it though. Gonna go to HF and check it out thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

96.8 pounds according to Harbor Freight's website. :v:

Christ that seems heavy for a jack. Especially a Harbor Freight jack.

e: vvvv good point :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 5, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Maybe that's the max load?

It is HF, after all.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My 2-tonne long chassis/high lift trolley jack is about 120lbs.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm so ready for a new mattress. We're on our third in 8 years and they have all been total shite. Seriously considering one of those $3k mattresses my parents have they both rave about. I'm a hot sleeper and if there was a refrigerated bed I would seriously consider one.

My $1400-from-2005 mattress (non-memory foam, CA King, for pricing) was one of the all-time great purchases my wife and I have ever made, it was a revelation in having a good night's sleep and has made staying in luxury hotels feel disappointing ever since, the ability to isolate movement it had for the first 10 years or so was incredibly valuable - however it is finally at an end and I have noticed it getting gradually less great over the last 18 months and seems like in the last few weeks it's just become awful and every morning I wake up feeling like I played a game of college football the day before.

The same trim level from Simmons (for that is the brand we picked after going to the store with the intention of getting one of the mattresses they used to have in the W hotels and finding this one to be much nicer after lying on a bunch of options) is like $3k now so I'm sort of steeling myself for that being what it costs (at least) these days. Considering most people spend about a third of their time in bed, it's well worth it IMHO.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If you sleep in separate beds do you take it in turns to gently caress on each bed or do it on the floor between?

it's never isn't it? :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm so ready for a new mattress. We're on our third in 8 years and they have all been total shite. Seriously considering one of those $3k mattresses my parents have they both rave about. I'm a hot sleeper and if there was a refrigerated bed I would seriously consider one.

The emote you are looking for is :thunk:

Idk if you can get them in the US but I've got a
http://mammothcomfort.co.uk mattress and its the tits

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Cross post from the bmw thread, but has anyone on the UK ever bought anything from JJC race and rally? Freight UK-AU usually much cheaper than US-AU, plus the exchange rate better in the UK.
My e34 needs front struts so rather than chuck them onto a USA order I got the actual bilstein part number and searched. JJC r&r can send me a pair for au$325inc.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BraveUlysses posted:

HF has a low profile steel jack that has really good reach
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pump-62310.html
I have this one, only thing that can get under the lower cars easily without spending mega bucks. You'll still have issues if you're trying to get a front subframe from the front or something but a 2x4 or two fixes that. Can confirm it is a heavy bastard but it works.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

I have this one, only thing that can get under the lower cars easily without spending mega bucks. You'll still have issues if you're trying to get a front subframe from the front or something but a 2x4 or two fixes that. Can confirm it is a heavy bastard but it works.

I have that one too, its fantastic.

Drove the turbo quattro to a car show as a test run of the engine. Passed with flying colors. Only downside was I was on my garage tires which were basically bald, and it started raining which forced me to slow down immensely on the way home to stay safe.
Gotta get the spare rims and get some good tires on it.
Also: Gotta replace the turbocharger, which has blown its rear oil seal.

I also need to pick up a boost gauge, wideband O2 and gauge, and a knock alert system, and fix the crankcase ventilation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 5, 2017

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Dumb non dinosaur squeezings fueled bike chat. I think i'm going to pick up a bike this weekend. Im budgeting my self $850 max.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2182001/
2016 Santa Cruz Chameleon
Pro:
SLX driveline so it should be clutched.
Santa Cruz name seems to hold some value so I would think it would have good resale.
Can fit + size tires which I like the idea of.
Cons:
I don't think he will move much on price.
Not full suspension.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2097348/
2015 Giant Stance 1
Pro:
Full suspension 120mm travel
XT driveline seems like the lowest end that is still tough.
Seems like the mods are consistent with fixing complaints I read about in reviews.
Cons:
Only 120mm of travel.
Not a frame youd really want to keep long term.
I dont think it would fit + tires if I wanted to, but being FS i don't think it would need them.
I read the fork can feel a bit spindly, but I think its the same on the Chameleon but I don't read bad things about it on the Chameleon so :shrug:

https://www.raleighusa.com/tokul-5167
2017 Tokul 3
Pro:
Cheap, im told $600ish with corporate code.
Plus size tires
Good hardware, I think the NX is clutched, but I dont know how SRAM NX stacks up to Shimano XT, SLX
New bike
Cons:
Meh brand.
Not full suspension.
Id have to wait a few more weeks before its in stock.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well I spent the night at my mom's place, both for a/c and to help out with my sister who's still recovering.

Got an email like 20 minutes ago saying the job's done, apparently it was indeed the start capacitor. Hopefully this'll be the end of it.

E: I probably wouldn't be so bothered by the a/c breaking if it wasn't going on the exact same time as I'm all worried about my sister, fyi. Whole lotta stress going on.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sadi posted:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2097348/
2015 Giant Stance 1
Pro:
Full suspension 120mm travel
XT driveline seems like the lowest end that is still tough.
Seems like the mods are consistent with fixing complaints I read about in reviews.
Cons:
Only 120mm of travel.
Not a frame youd really want to keep long term.
I dont think it would fit + tires if I wanted to, but being FS i don't think it would need them.
I read the fork can feel a bit spindly, but I think its the same on the Chameleon but I don't read bad things about it on the Chameleon so :shrug:

XT is solid, LX is too, gently caress Deore is still fantastic and super cheap to replace when you break it. 'only' 120mm of travel isn't a con unless you're planning on doing some silly stuff in which case you wouldn't be looking at either of the other 2 bikes anyway. Fork feel depends on how fat you are, people raved about Maverick forks and those loving things were hideously overpriced and about as stiff laterally as boiled noodles.

I'd personally go with the Giant if only because I've ridden a few different years and versions of Giant's FS stuff and they've all been pretty great, certainly more than capable enough to get you into trouble :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The leak on the PT appears to be the pressure line. New part is $40 but gently caress that I'm gonna grab a used one at the JY. Should be like $5. Repair appears to be doable without dropping the engine as well. Gonna get this bitch rolling.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The 280ZX is registered, gonna take it for a short drive tonight and hope I don't need to use my insurance's roadside assistance.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Rhyno posted:

The leak on the PT appears to be the pressure line. New part is $40 but gently caress that I'm gonna grab a used one at the JY. Should be like $5. Repair appears to be doable without dropping the engine as well. Gonna get this bitch rolling.
Don't they all leak though?
(What I'm saying is unlikely to fix with s/h parts)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

Don't they all leak though?

This looks like a large breach in the line. It's only spitting fluid when I turn the wheel. Job doesn't look impossible.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I wonder how heavy it is :v: I don't have a garage, so I have to transport it between my carport and shed.....Could probably use a hand truck to move it though. Gonna go to HF and check it out thanks.

If you can get away with a little less reach the 3 ton low profile is cheaper (frequently has a coupon for around $80) and lighter. I have one and it has worked well on stock suspension cars (Miata, 9-5 SS, Fit, Focus) and my friend's lowered Miata. Can't remember if it was used with my friends RX-8 or not. The long reach version would have been nice in some cases though as the first few inches of travel sometimes take a lot of very short pumps to gain enough clearance.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...il_s1021_c2117b

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Just be glad you don't have to use special snowflake fluid like my old bmw does like pentosin chf 7.1. I needed 1.5l and it's $28/l for the modern semi synth equivalent. Even though it's pricey for the fluid, I rather pay that than risk a pump failure in it and a fluid change from old atf to that stuff seemed to have quit the complaining.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Jesus Christ. Yeah that isn't going to work, gonna have to go with lowest, longest aluminum jack I can find I guess.

One of the things that pisses me off about mine is the bolt that secures the handle to the jack is on TOP of the jack handle and effectively takes up more than an inch of clearance, every other jack I've seen has it on the bottom of course.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fo3 posted:

Just be glad you don't have to use special snowflake fluid like my old bmw does like pentosin chf 7.1. I needed 1.5l and it's $28/l for the modern semi synth equivalent. Even though it's pricey for the fluid, I rather pay that than risk a pump failure in it and a fluid change from old atf to that stuff seemed to have quit the complaining.

Sounds like ATF is the proper fluid. Not any more expensive at Walmat.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Galler posted:

If you can get away with a little less reach the 3 ton low profile is cheaper (frequently has a coupon for around $80) and lighter. I have one and it has worked well on stock suspension cars (Miata, 9-5 SS, Fit, Focus) and my friend's lowered Miata. Can't remember if it was used with my friends RX-8 or not. The long reach version would have been nice in some cases though as the first few inches of travel sometimes take a lot of very short pumps to gain enough clearance.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...il_s1021_c2117b

I have the two ton. Its my only jack so it goes in the car every time I got to a rallycross. It weighs every bit of those 105lbs. Its one heavy mother fucker. It also doesn't have enough reach to get under my stock height 03 M3 without the car being driven on top of 2x4s. That said I love the jack, best ive ever had at least.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62310.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

lol find a better way to save 35 bucks

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've bodged PS pipe back together with JB Weld before. It's not a good idea, but you have a PT Cruiser, good ideas have deserted your immediate vicinity anyway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

lol find a better way to save 35 bucks

No way am I spending actual money on this car.

InitialDave posted:

I've bodged PS pipe back together with JB Weld before. It's not a good idea, but you have a PT Cruiser, good ideas have deserted your immediate vicinity anyway.

Once we actually set to work on it I might try bodging it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a mattock?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I just CANNOT sell this motorcycle. I might actually have to resort to posting it on Craigslist, but I don't know if I can handle the level of asshattery I've experienced selling vehicles on CL at this point in my life.

What's y'all's tips on cutting out the joyriders, wanna-trade-ers, lowballers, and scam artists from CL?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Sounds like ATF is the proper fluid. Not any more expensive at Walmat.

Do not use ATF. It has to be a specific mineral fluid, and I know ATF will eat the pump.

Anything MIL-H-5606 spec will work in a Pentosin system. Pentosin is closer to Aviation Hydraulic Fluid than standard ATF fluid.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

The Prong Song posted:

I just CANNOT sell this motorcycle. I might actually have to resort to posting it on Craigslist, but I don't know if I can handle the level of asshattery I've experienced selling vehicles on CL at this point in my life.

What's y'all's tips on cutting out the joyriders, wanna-trade-ers, lowballers, and scam artists from CL?

Use a burner phone number. There is an app called "burner" that makes this simple.

Keep the add short with only the most important details. Leave out the negative points. If someone's actually serious they will ask questions other than "what's ur bottom doller".

Take good pictures.

State no trades, but avoid absolutes in discussing price. With that said price it higher than what you want with the expectation that haggling will occur.

And last, just don't let it get to you. People are people. You want to sell it, right? Personally I just trade poo poo in.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

What's the bike and where are you located?

rdb posted:

Use a burner phone number. There is an app called "burner" that makes this simple.

Keep the add short with only the most important details. Leave out the negative points. If someone's actually serious they will ask questions other than "what's ur bottom doller".

Take good pictures.

State no trades, but avoid absolutes in discussing price. With that said price it higher than what you want with the expectation that haggling will occur.

And last, just don't let it get to you. People are people. You want to sell it, right? Personally I just trade poo poo in.

This is all good advice. I hate giving a phone number because old men insist on calling you... when I sold my 79 Honda CM400T, this old guy called me every loving morning for a week. He ended up buying it but christ he was a pain in the rear end.

Weirdly, keeping the ad short definitely seems to have a higher correlation with more responses. I think maybe your average craigslist user thinks "didn't write much" == "doesn't know much about what you're selling/seller is stupid" so they'll be able to get a better deal, although IMO it would be hard to be stupider than the average craigslist user & still be capable of typing or allowed to own a vehicle. Personally, I love a really detailed post, but I think I'm in the minority there.

Even if you say "no trades" you can probably expect to get a few trade offers. Enjoy them. People offer the stupidest poo poo for trade--I had somebody offer me an airsoft gun in exchange for my Crown Vic.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Prong Song posted:

In my experience, Lol-ballers are usually pretty up front about it. Your first email from them will probably be something like "I'll give you half your asking price." Just don't reply to those, in any way shape or form.
I generally don't discuss price via email. If you're that motivated to come look at it, then you're probably prepared to pay close to full ask anyway so that puts me in a better haggling position. If you try to start haggling via email, then I'm going to tell you straight up, I'm not haggling via email. You can come with cash in hand and we'll talk about it then. I don't care if you're 3 states away or that your cousin's boyfriend's dog just died. You come here, with money. Offer money. I give you bike or tell you to gently caress off.
Scam artists usually try to make things complicated, or offer to use paypal, or check or some other bullshit. Nope. Meet me in person. Cash in hand. That's it.
Potential robbers: I try to meet in a well lit public place within direct line of sight of a security camera. If I'm carrying a gun I generally try not to look the part. If I'm not, then I'll be wearing some NRA shirt or 2nd amendment hat, or go find yourself some hillbilly 'I like guns and blowing poo poo up' paraphernalia. Even better if you bring a friend.

Joyriders: tell them you need cash in hand before they ride. They have 5 minutes. If they're not back by then, just leave with their money. If they try to call the cops, just say "I gave him the bike, and the title. He gave me this wad of cash. Boom, done deal."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Non PT question

I muscled the AC pulley off the Miata and need to replace the bearing now. Trouble is, nobody in town stocks the bearing. So before I grab one off ebay, is there a better source for bearings I am unaware of? Will a generic 32x47x18 work?

Bearing part #32bd4718dum

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In my experience, Lol-ballers are usually pretty up front about it. Your first email from them will probably be something like "I'll give you half your asking price." Just don't reply to those, in any way shape or form.
I generally don't discuss price via email. If you're that motivated to come look at it, then you're probably prepared to pay close to full ask anyway so that puts me in a better haggling position. If you try to start haggling via email, then I'm going to tell you straight up, I'm not haggling via email. You can come with cash in hand and we'll talk about it then. I don't care if you're 3 states away or that your cousin's boyfriend's dog just died. You come here, with money. Offer money. I give you bike or tell you to gently caress off.
Scam artists usually try to make things complicated, or offer to use paypal, or check or some other bullshit. Nope. Meet me in person. Cash in hand. That's it.
Potential robbers: I try to meet in a well lit public place within direct line of sight of a security camera. If I'm carrying a gun I generally try not to look the part. If I'm not, then I'll be wearing some NRA shirt or 2nd amendment hat, or go find yourself some hillbilly 'I like guns and blowing poo poo up' paraphernalia. Even better if you bring a friend.

Joyriders: tell them you need cash in hand before they ride. They have 5 minutes. If they're not back by then, just leave with their money. If they try to call the cops, just say "I gave him the bike, and the title. He gave me this wad of cash. Boom, done deal."

Craigslist users seem to have too many cousins, as a rule. I'll totally come see the car once I get my money from my cousin. Oh, I couldn't make it because my cousin called at the last minute with an emergency. I live in <another state> so my cousin is going to come check it out.

I've responded to plenty of ads that state CASH IN HAND NO CASH NO RIDE... I don't mention the cash in hand bit, and when I show up I talk to them a little and then go for a test ride, with the cash safely in my pocket the entire time. I suppose it depends on the bike in question whether or not you'll want to be strict about it; if you were selling a Bro Bike like a STRETCHED BUSA then it makes sense. I've really only ever sold old cars and old bikes so it's not been a big issue, I just write "Cash only" at the bottom to try and avoid offers of "this bag of weed and 7 Subway cards"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Non PT question

I muscled the AC pulley off the Miata and need to replace the bearing now. Trouble is, nobody in town stocks the bearing. So before I grab one off ebay, is there a better source for bearings I am unaware of? Will a generic 32x47x18 work?

Bearing part #32bd4718dum

Try asking for part number 4718 for the bearing.

Edit: alternately, if someone at oreillys gives enough of a gently caress, the federal mogul site we have access to has a thing we can dump bearing measurements into along woth bearing style to get a part number.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cop Porn Popper posted:

Try asking for part number 4718 for the bearing.

The NAPA guy looked up every variation he could think of and found nothing compatible.

Edit: But using your advice I found the oem bearing on ebay!

Edit 2: but it will take a month to get here. gently caress.

Here's what I found that appears to be compatible
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAC32470018...%3D112263680210

OEM from Russia
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Compress...KxYc8~t&vxp=mtr

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

no I get my facts from Infowars who tell you the real news

Christ. :captainpop:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm a horrible nerd, so I ordered Rockastansky, #79. :)

Witnessed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm a horrible nerd, so I ordered Rockastansky, #79. :)

But did you spell the name right on the order form?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

The same trim level from Simmons (for that is the brand we picked after going to the store with the intention of getting one of the mattresses they used to have in the W hotels and finding this one to be much nicer after lying on a bunch of options) is like $3k now so I'm sort of steeling myself for that being what it costs (at least) these days. Considering most people spend about a third of their time in bed, it's well worth it IMHO.

Yeah I had no idea I could spend five grand on a Simmons mattress but apparently you can. Knowing they exist is going to make me consider getting one. I at least need to find a store to lay down on one.

fridge corn posted:

Idk if you can get them in the US but I've got a
http://mammothcomfort.co.uk mattress and its the tits

Don't appear to :(

Totally unrelated but general chat; I have had my E36 M3 listed on the local classifieds for about five months now. I am not hurting for cash but having four cars for two drivers in the house is getting old (when my wife drives the family car mainly) so making sure each other car gets driven regularly is getting to be a ball ache. I am about ready to lower the price on the E36 just to get rid of it. I don't have to which is my main reservation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Weirdly, keeping the ad short definitely seems to have a higher correlation with more responses. I think maybe your average craigslist user thinks "didn't write much" == "doesn't know much about what you're selling/seller is stupid" so they'll be able to get a better deal, although IMO it would be hard to be stupider than the average craigslist user & still be capable of typing or allowed to own a vehicle. Personally, I love a really detailed post, but I think I'm in the minority there.

I've noticed the same thing, and I hate when I take the time to write out a history, and someone calls and goes "So tell me about the vehicle?"

That being said, I wrote out a nice detailed post for my tundra, and it sold cash in hand in 5 hours.

• Locked thread