Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I didn't have my phone handy but I kneeled down while my sister turned the wheel on the PT and it was doing the same thing as in this video at 2:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jmnj3bRPUI

First repair attempt will be a piece of curved metal to make a patch, JB Weld and some hose clamps. If that works I will just roll with it, if not we'll buy the line and swap it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Took a trip out through Panamint Valley to Death Valley with a friend last weekend. We climbed up Telescope Peak in the Panamint range, the highest mountain in the area - it's not a terribly difficult hike at 14.5 miles round-trip, except for the elevation - trailhead starts at 8200ft, peak is 11,042ft. Elevation always kicks my rear end as a sea-level dweller. The view at the top is spectacular however, and we got lucky with very clear weather.

Confusing panorama:

fullsize

This is a unique point to view exactly what the hapless pioneers and gold-seekers of 1849 encountered when they dropped down into Death Valley - they thought this was about where they would hit the Sierras, instead they were faced with the Panamints - a full ~75 miles and several ranges east of the Sierras.

For the history buffs, an even more confusing panorama:

fullsize

On our drive in through Panamint Valley (a long, straight road down the middle) we got buzzed by an F/A 18 Hornet out of China Lake Naval Weapons Station, hugging the road about fifty feet off the deck. One second we were wondering what the gently caress that weird UFO-shaped thing on the horizon was, the next we're rocked by pure noise and a face full of dual jet intakes. One of the coolest things I've ever seen, and my soul but for a dashcam. That pilot was probably breaking every rule in the book but who is going to report that poo poo, especially when you're twenty miles from cell service
:swoon: :dong:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

I didn't have my phone handy but I kneeled down while my sister turned the wheel on the PT and it was doing the same thing as in this video at 2:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jmnj3bRPUI

First repair attempt will be a piece of curved metal to make a patch, JB Weld and some hose clamps. If that works I will just roll with it, if not we'll buy the line and swap it out.

Jesus christ no. That will not work, just swap it.

It's already making you think like a PT cruiser owner. Shed the evil at your first opportunity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LloydDobler posted:

Jesus christ no. That will not work, just swap it.

It's already making you think like a PT cruiser owner. Shed the evil at your first opportunity.

WHAT IF I USE A LOT OF HOSE CLAMPS

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pham Nuwen posted:

But did you spell the name right on the order form?

Yeah, I just fat-fingered it here. Order form says Rockatansky as is proper.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

It is not the repair the PT needs, but it is the repair the PT deserves.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I got a text from my old roommates. They're pregnant.

She had her first kid taken by CPS and rehomed with a family member, he owes well over a quarter mil in back child support to 3 different women (so far). They're bouncing between couches and hotels.

I'm not sure if I should say congrats, or send condolences on the pending child support lawsuit (and/or CPS investigations).

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yay, called by alarm services because a spider or something tripped a motion detector in the store. Had to drive to it to confirm no baddies present and no signs of a break in.

The joys of responsibility.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

I went through something similar with a much lower pressure oil cooler hose. You're wasting valuable hose clamps.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Or just remove the hose and take it to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuild it.

Don't redneck it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I just fat-fingered it here. Order form says Rockatansky as is proper.

That's good, I wanted to make sure since they're pretty drat expensive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I got one with Immortan Joe on the back. Triple checked that spelling. The 8-10 week wait is going to suck but will be worth it just in time for September.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

She had her first kid taken by CPS and rehomed with a family member, he owes well over a quarter mil in back child support to 3 different women (so far). They're bouncing between couches and hotels.

I'm not sure if I should say congrats, or send condolences on the pending child support lawsuit (and/or CPS investigations).

How the hell does one owe a 1/4 mil in child support/alimony/etc? According to the numbers, as a dirty poor middle class, I only expect to make about $2 million over my entire working life.

Oh, and send him his stupid sign in lieu of either option. It's not like he doesn't know how babby is made.

CommieGIR posted:

Or just remove the hose and take it to a hydraulic shop and have them rebuild it.

Don't redneck it.

This is what I was going to say. If the hose is $40 new like the guy in the video said, I think it would be worth it to have the flexible bit remade by a hose shop.

I'm feeling rather satisfied with myself. I bought this weed whacker as a pig-in-a-poke. It came in yesterday, and I immediately took it out into the garage to see what the problem was. The description was correct. It'll turn a little, then struggle and stop. I opened the case, all of 5 screws, and I think I found the problem:

Yeah, that's a whole wad of fishing line. 20 minutes of quality time with a set of nippers and a pair of needle-nose pliers, and I had a $0.49 + $16.00 shipping 18V line trimmer, and a pile of fishing line:

(bonus note from seller)

I'm getting tired of maintaining my finicky 2-cycle gas trimmer for my less-than-a-quarter-acre lot, and already have Ryobi 18V tools and batteries, so I'm good to go.
Folks, this is why I'm so happy to be someone who can fix poo poo rather than just throwing it away. That trimmer is $60 new, and this one looks barely used.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Just put an order in for a bicycle through the works "bike to work" scheme.
I've been walking into work for a couple of weeks and it's been nice but it takes a fair while so I figured a bike would be a good compromise between that and going back to driving.
Was originally planning on getting an e-bike and being lazy but at the local bike shop mentioned you are buying the electronics so a £1200 bike gets you a £200 bike as opposed to spending £600 and getting a £600 bike.

Got a Giant Escape Disk on order with mudguards and a rear lugguage rack so I can also use it to lug beer/meat to potential BBQs

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

rdb posted:

Use a burner phone number. There is an app called "burner" that makes this simple.

Keep the add short with only the most important details. Leave out the negative points. If someone's actually serious they will ask questions other than "what's ur bottom doller".

Take good pictures.

State no trades, but avoid absolutes in discussing price. With that said price it higher than what you want with the expectation that haggling will occur.

And last, just don't let it get to you. People are people. You want to sell it, right? Personally I just trade poo poo in.
That app is going to cut out like 20% of my headaches with Craigslist. I have sold two cars (both after finally resorting to Craigslist when Autotrader, forums-specific paid adds, etc. didn't work) and both times it was a multi-month procession of people who e-mailed me every day with "still available"? and offers of 50% of what I asked, people who wanted me to come out for 2 hours during my lunch hour so they could take it for a spin and then claimed it had damage from an accident that never occurred, and one guy who even claimed my M Coupe was a kit car. Just frustrating wastes of time all around.

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's the bike and where are you located?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=22#post472394757

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...Joyriders: tell them you need cash in hand before they ride. They have 5 minutes. If they're not back by then, just leave with their money. If they try to call the cops, just say "I gave him the bike, and the title. He gave me this wad of cash. Boom, done deal."
That's... amusingly simple.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont think I'd ever buy a car from you guys gat drat.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I think the main trick is to only go forward with craigslist deals where the potential buyer is able to communicate in complete sentences.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

Was originally planning on getting an e-bike and being lazy but at the local bike shop mentioned you are buying the electronics so a £1200 bike gets you a £200 bike as opposed to spending £600 and getting a £600 bike.

Yup and because they're all cheap steel they weigh 11 tons.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Tell them you're sure the foster families will love this child too.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I think the main trick is to only go forward with craigslist deals where the potential buyer is able to communicate in complete sentences.

This has been my experience. Also, please buy my motorcycle that has been up in CL since April.

Pham Nuwen posted:

:iceburn:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SCA Enthusiast posted:

This, it's simple and the last five or six cars I've sold on CL have been pretty much headache free, although I chalk it up to selling mostly cars around 5k or less that are econoboxes and a few Miatas. I can't imagine trying to sell a WRX or something that has a giant ricer following with most looking for joy rides. Selling boring cars is a hell of a lot easier I would think.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This, it's simple and the last five or six cars I've sold on CL have been pretty much headache free, although I chalk it up to selling mostly cars around 5k or less that are econoboxes and a few Miatas. I can't imagine trying to sell a WRX or something that has a giant ricer following with most looking for joy rides. Selling boring cars is a hell of a lot easier I would think.

Absolutely. The last three cars I've sold were a beater Outback, a beater Civic and clean-ish Camry and it only took a week and five showings between them. Selling my toy is taking a lot longer. I think the need to get to work on Monday makes boring cars a sellers market.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm getting tired of maintaining my finicky 2-cycle gas trimmer for my less-than-a-quarter-acre lot,

I've bought 2 gas trimmers that lasted me 2 years each, then a cheap rear end electric trimmer that I paid all of $30-40 at home depot that's lasted me 15 years so far. Unless you're on acreage/in the lawn business gas trimmers don't make any sense since they just sit and rot for 30 minutes use every 2 weeks.

Pham Nuwen posted:

This exactly. My wife is a social worker and you probably wouldn't be surprised by how many repeat customers they have, so to speak.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 6, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

keykey posted:

I've bought 2 gas trimmers that lasted me 2 years each, then a cheap rear end electric trimmer that I paid all of $30-40 at home depot that's lasted me 15 years so far. Unless you're on acreage/in the lawn business gas trimmers don't make any sense since they just sit and rot for 30 minutes use every 2 weeks.

To be fair, I've had the gas trimmer for 15 years, but pretty much exactly as you say. I didn't even need the cordless one, as a 50' extension cord will reach anywhere I need to go.
Unless I get some acreage that requires it, I'm never buying a small gas engine again. When the lawnmower dies - electric. Chainsaw - electric. I don't use any of them often or long enough to keep them healthy and/or the gas fresh.
that said, my 17-year-old Briggs-powered MTD mower keeps chugging along with minimal maintenance. I just bought a carb kit (AKA "a gasket") and governor spring for it because it's surging, but that and a new spark plug every couple of years is pretty much all it's ever needed.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

that said, my 17-year-old Briggs-powered MTD mower keeps chugging along with minimal maintenance. I just bought a carb kit (AKA "a gasket") and governor spring for it because it's surging, but that and a new spark plug every couple of years is pretty much all it's ever needed.

I'm there with you. My mower is a Honda from the late 80's and it chugs right along, starts every time. The only thing I've replaced is the spring on the handle that engages the transmission and recently the pull starter assembly. It'll probably chug along until I don't need it anymore. I just replace the oil once a year and keep on keepin' on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have two electric trimmers (one corded and one cordless) and they work just fine for my 3/4 acre. If I need to knock down thick brush I use the corded one otherwise charge up 2 batteries and it has worked for years.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, I've had the gas trimmer for 15 years, but pretty much exactly as you say. I didn't even need the cordless one, as a 50' extension cord will reach anywhere I need to go.
Unless I get some acreage that requires it, I'm never buying a small gas engine again. When the lawnmower dies - electric. Chainsaw - electric. I don't use any of them often or long enough to keep them healthy and/or the gas fresh.

Have a cordless weed whipper and a cordless hedge trimmer - both were cheap, and just loving work. I love them. gently caress the gas ones unless you are doing this poo poo for a living and its running hours a day where batteries would just run out.

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Why would you not want to smell heavily like two-stroke and sawdust after a day chainsawing, though?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Ether Frenzy posted:

Why would you not want to smell heavily like two-stroke and sawdust after a day chainsawing, though?
My "Oil & Gas" scented candles take care of that for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

freelop posted:

Just put an order in for a bicycle through the works "bike to work" scheme.
I've been walking into work for a couple of weeks and it's been nice but it takes a fair while so I figured a bike would be a good compromise between that and going back to driving.

Got a Giant Escape Disk on order with mudguards and a rear lugguage rack so I can also use it to lug beer/meat to potential BBQs
How's their scheme interpretation?

Some are very sensible and write down the value of the bike in use, so after a year you pay them a nominal £1 or so to own it, and have made a big saving.

Some are totally useless and you spend as much or more as you would just buying one outright in the first place

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I like watching mighty car mods but goddamn I cannot stand moogs voice.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I hate dragging extension cords behind me so I picked up a cheapy cordless Black & Decker trimmer last year and it's been working well so far. I don't expect it to last even five years, but it was also under $100. I wish they made one under the Porter Cable brand so I could share batteries with my drills/impact driver/saws/etc., though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

yeah kiwis sound silly

edit: why did i think MCM was a kiwi show? or am i thinking of flight of the conchords

ive been staring at this line of code for too long jesus christ

they sound like typical aussies to me :shrug:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 6, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't mind him, he seems like a good dude but the music he produced for the show really grates on me. It's like he's heard a few different genres, not in any real detail but then tries to copy them all in a single track. It's so annoying.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

How's their scheme interpretation?

Some are very sensible and write down the value of the bike in use, so after a year you pay them a nominal £1 or so to own it, and have made a big saving.

Some are totally useless and you spend as much or more as you would just buying one outright in the first place

Ours you pay the cost of the bike over 12 months but it comes out via salery sacrifice so you save 20% tax.
If you're in the higher earning catagory (I'm not) then you can save 40%

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Do they clarify the final payment? When I got my bike they guaranteed the final payment would be the same as the monthly, this year they make no promises, just mentioning "reasonable value" so you could be stuck with a final payment up to 50% of the starting value.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Heh, I know a couple of the Millwall guys from this story, I heard this tale Sunday night from my wife, who's best friend's husband was one of the wags responsible for the 'gift' they gave their mate while he's in hospital. This is so like every Millwall antic I've ever heard from him it's loving perfect.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-a7775246.html

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Siochain posted:

Have a cordless weed whipper and a cordless hedge trimmer - both were cheap, and just loving work. I love them. gently caress the gas ones unless you are doing this poo poo for a living and its running hours a day where batteries would just run out.

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

I can't even make it around my yard, much less the fence, without having to spool line. Never mind the several tanks of gas. That's with a Stihl fs130 and one of their giant heads, I think it's a 36. On top of that, I have an echo SRM-225 that has sat fairly consistently since 2014 with tru-fuel in it that will start with a couple pulls right now if needed. Don't buy junk gas trimmers and they are fine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Siochain posted:

I have my granddad's old sears electric chainsaw and it is still going, and I have a small one that came with a pole attachment for cutting high branches I got for $99 on Amazon (can get pretty much the same thing for $69 at harbor freight). I wouldn't want to cut a giant tree down but I have used them to cut trees up, and they are wonderful for branches and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rdb posted:

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

I can't even make it around my yard, much less the fence, without having to spool line. Never mind the several tanks of gas. That's with a Stihl fs130 and one of their giant heads, I think it's a 36. On top of that, I have an echo SRM-225 that has sat fairly consistently since 2014 with tru-fuel in it that will start with a couple pulls right now if needed. Don't buy junk gas trimmers and they are fine.

I've had the same electric trimmer for 4 years, 3 different houses, and I'm still using the same line it came with. I don't mow the lawn often, though, and the trimmer only comes out a few times each summer.

• Locked thread