Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

same except samsung. I don't know how to use it and it doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What's up with 3rd gen Supras? They seem oddly affordable for old RWD Japanese cars in NZ.

second question: is the 1G-GTE any good?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I'd stab myself in the eye with a rusty screwdriver before buying anything with an automatic gearbox

but cursory googling seems to indicate that 3rd gen Supras are heavy as heck

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Busy weekend! Got all of the ground floor walls in the shed insulated and clad!

First step was to make some more room in the shed, so the BFG AT's for the cruiser had to go up onto the mezzanine. Things are about 50kg each fitted up so had to get creative on the lifting solution...

With that all the materials were stacked up ready to go, and the great poo poo shuffle dance began.

I should stop buying batteries. Apparently I have enough.

Finished running the air lines inside the wall. Using 3/4" Blue line Poly. Its rated to 1600kpa!

Then we got to play itch like a motherfucker and insulated the thing. Because the walls got a 70mm thick wall from the shed frame and a 90mm stud wall in front of it, we insulated both walls to get more soundproofing since this is the machinery shop end.

And finally after three solid days work, its all finished off. I went back later and fitted up the network port after i found it in my stash of crap in the office.

Garage is looking awesome dude

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

1G-GTE is not enough engine to get these cars moving. Also the version of the car that engine comes in is the narrowbody which looks loving weird. 'standard' is the widebody on 7MGE, 7MGTE, 1JZ versions.

narrowbody 1G:

^^ also accurate. Source: I own one with the 7M which as mentioned does indeed eat head gaskets. I had the head on mine worked over and fitted a metal head gasket along with ARP bolts and then a week later beat the poo poo out of it on a track so it's solid now. Head reassembly is annoying as the spaces to actual fit the bolts and such are tiny so you essentially have to assemble the bolts as you're putting the head on. Very heavy cars as standard, as mentioned they're a GT car but find a solid one and they're actually a really nice drive though the stock suspension is soft and has massive amounts of travel so it rolls hilariously round corners though it takes serious effort to get it to lose grip. And never touch an auto (same goes for any car really), the W58 and R154 boxes are agricultural at best, notchy and not smooth but definitely solid. Also these have a lot of brake disc because they're fat but not quite enough caliper to stop them quickly.

If you can grab one for not much money and don't mind the possibility of the head going up on you then go ahead. Parts availability in the US is still pretty great with nothing being too stupid money wise. Also straight 6 noises are good times no matter what the car. Pre-facelift (as in the bumper on the photo above) is the best looking.

Cheers. I'm in New Zealand. Probably not gonna go with a Supra due to the weight & also the one I found that looked affordable was a bit rusty and I already have one 1980s Toyota rust bucket in my life, that's enough for now.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

1.9km, 5 minutes

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't seen GOT but I also don't really watch any TV and read the first few books like 8-10 years back

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I think so actually

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Post your AW11 and tell me how magical it is with a supercharger

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1356338769

poo poo idea? Seller says no other rust in the car. 2 patches on the sills and a junkyard hatch and sorted.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'd already be bidding on it. But I am an idiot, so there's that.

I'm also an idiot but I got the seller to put up more photos of the rust and it looks a bit worse than I want to deal with.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

slothrop posted:

God yes. Considering moving back just to buy this

So wait I *should* buy it? Even wth the rust?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

slothrop posted:

Rust is probably a deal breaker. I just have a soft spot for them because of those wheels and this:

I want it to do something similar! At least the hilux grill. So cheap though

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Rot in the hatch (find a junkyard hatch) sills and some in the rear arches. And looks like surface rust in the doors.

2k is cheap for one with live plates.

I honestly don't have the skills to fix the rust but I'm also wanting to learn

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Turbo Barra is an insanely good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ballsack someone hit the buy now on that Celica. Ballsack.

• Locked thread