Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Started on the next stage of my workshop!

Ive got 3.3m high walls, which is totally pointless over the workshop end, so im putting in a mezzanine at about 2.3m high to put a ceiling in and gain myself a 6m x 3m storage area above it. Unfortunately the shed frame isnt really strong enough for weight loading so im having to put in a stud wall under it to support it.

After this is in, time to paint that back half of the workshop floor with epoxy, then I can build all my benches and cupboards and FINALLY put some poo poo away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Got the wall frames all done today - some of the gaps arent quite 450mm cos of minor fuckups but eh, it works.

Then we lifted the main beam in!

Tomorrow I put in all the frame joists and then look at going to get some yellowtongue structafloor down and i might FINALLY be able to get some of that poo poo off the floor and put up out of the way until i finish the cabinets off and paint the floor.

Then I buy the mill and lathe

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ive got an FS480 for my 900m2 block.. its comically oversized but it cost me $62 to put a bump feed head on it and a $7 primer bulb so.....

And it also happily spins 40cm of line out each side of the head, it cuts a bigger path than my loving lawnmower.

Finished up my workshop mezzanine too. Now i've effectively got a 12mx 6m shed in a 9m x 6m footprint. And theres SO MUCH MORE FLOORSPACE NOW THAT ITS NOT COVERED IN poo poo!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I thought that was a bed hanging from the ceiling

Technically it is... Its a roof rack for the landcruiser with a Roof Top Tent on it. Theres a heap of camping gear stored up on top of the front of it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Sadi posted:

How do you like the roof top tent? I think they look cool bit I don't like the idea of having to break camp anytime I want to go somewhere, and I feel like being surrounded by air on all sides would make them super cold in the winter.

The tents pretty awesome- you dont really feel that cold in it, but because its more like a standard bed than a camping bed (the floor itself is 1" thick insulating foam sandwiched between composite, then ive got a 100mm thick self inflating mattress, a woollen underlay and then a big down doona quite often you find yourself getting too hot and having to throw a limb out, even if its -4 or 5 outside) its quite comfortable. Theres only been one or two nights when we had to wear warm clothes to bed, but thats when it was cold enough to freeze a cup of coffee on a bullbar a meter off the ground solid and throw frost to the top of 10m high trees.

The breaking camp thing can be a pain in the dick, but in reality it takes about 15 mins to pack up and you can go from driving to in bed in under 5 minutes if you dont want to put the little wings over the windows up.

slothrop posted:

What's the headspace like up there? I can't remember how tall you made the shed.

Not too bad, you can comfortably move around at a crouch at its highest point and if your sitting down at the walls your heads still a fair way off the roof. The Mezzanine has a ceiling under it at 2300mm, its about 150mm thick and the walls on the shed are 3300 and the peak just over 4000mm, so you get a fair bit of room to move around without it being an enormous pain in the dick.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Their entire engine build probably cost similar to what it'd cost me to get a standard but refreshed 2JZGTE and gearbox, too, so it makes perfect sense, but there's a real cult around them with people thinking they're the only big-power iteration of the engine format.

That entire long block they started the build off probably only set them back a grand from the wreckers. They're basically the SBC of Australia.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Busy weekend! Got all of the ground floor walls in the shed insulated and clad!

First step was to make some more room in the shed, so the BFG AT's for the cruiser had to go up onto the mezzanine. Things are about 50kg each fitted up so had to get creative on the lifting solution...

With that all the materials were stacked up ready to go, and the great poo poo shuffle dance began.

I should stop buying batteries. Apparently I have enough.

Finished running the air lines inside the wall. Using 3/4" Blue line Poly. Its rated to 1600kpa!

Then we got to play itch like a motherfucker and insulated the thing. Because the walls got a 70mm thick wall from the shed frame and a 90mm stud wall in front of it, we insulated both walls to get more soundproofing since this is the machinery shop end.

And finally after three solid days work, its all finished off. I went back later and fitted up the network port after i found it in my stash of crap in the office.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

I found over a certain age and on certain types of car you get ok prices. Being young and wanting anything even mildly fun put you into the gently caress barrel. I still think Australia has the best insurance system, you get 3rd party on your Rego/MOT/Inspection and if you want more coverage you pay for it.

Thats only third party bodily on your rego, so if you prang into someone and put them into the hospital and a lifetime of disability your not on the hook for millions in compensation.

Doesnt cover you for any form of property tho, so if you prang into a Rolls, your well and truly up poo poo creek and will be paying that one off the rest of your life.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

The insurance on the 100 series is absolutely hideous- around $1200 a year, but that covers me driving ANYWHERE in Australia unless its in a 4wd competition and its also market value of vehicle + accessories.

So $46-50K for a replacement HDJ100 and by the time you add up all the barwork, lockers, engine mods, suspension, radios, drawer units, the factory alloys (Which are $1200 EACH from the dealer) and everything else its about the same again. Their definition of market value is as if someone walked in off the street, ordered the accessory and had it fitted at market rate, so my rear bar which i paid $2500 for would be close to $5K if joe blow walked into ARB and bought it.

They also replace the accessories with the latest versions if they're superseded- so my HF radio, which is a 25yr old Codan cant be bought new any more. I paid $800 for it, but they've said if it got stolen they'd replace it with the latest Codan HF, which is a $4.5K unit without antenna!

So im happy paying my $120 or so a month for that!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So while the US and UK are melting, its scarily warm and dry here for June. We've been averaging 17-18 degrees C for the days, cold as balls (2-3 degrees c) for nights and no rain.

Our average june rainfall for our area from 1887 to now is 119.3mm.

We've had 1.6mm for june to date. Its not good.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well the Adelaide Rally (https://www.adelaidemotorsportfestival.com.au/entrants/adelaide-rally) which is a 3 day rally in the Adelaide hills just announced that they're going to have a Renault R5 Turbo Works Team Group B car running in it this year. To compete with the Audi S1 Quattro that ran last year.

This is gonna be gooooooood.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Urgh something I ate in the last 24hrs has seriously disagreed with me.

Im off work today and seriously starting to work out the logistics of how to use a cloud to wipe my arse with cos toilet paper feels like 40 grit right about now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I took a poo poo today at work and had to use the government supplied cheapest, nastiest '1500 sheets per roll' single ply toilet paper.

Felt like i was buffing my arsehole with a bitumen road.

• Locked thread