Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

mariooncrack posted:

Haven't posted a doggo picture in awhile. He was not amused.

Mr Pugglesworth looks like he's too old for your poo poo.

I want to pet him :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno, you should put the PT on spray.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Welp, bought a memory foam mattress a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's giving me a sore back in the mornings. On the other hand, my wife is finally sleeping worth a drat, so maybe I'll get used to it

I'm so ready for a new mattress. We're on our third in 8 years and they have all been total shite. Seriously considering one of those $3k mattresses my parents have they both rave about. I'm a hot sleeper and if there was a refrigerated bed I would seriously consider one.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Weird, when that's the civilian casualty toll on one of his Wag the Dog random bombings in the middle east, he thinks it's a good thing. :thinkingfaceemoji:

The emote you are looking for is :thunk:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

The same trim level from Simmons (for that is the brand we picked after going to the store with the intention of getting one of the mattresses they used to have in the W hotels and finding this one to be much nicer after lying on a bunch of options) is like $3k now so I'm sort of steeling myself for that being what it costs (at least) these days. Considering most people spend about a third of their time in bed, it's well worth it IMHO.

Yeah I had no idea I could spend five grand on a Simmons mattress but apparently you can. Knowing they exist is going to make me consider getting one. I at least need to find a store to lay down on one.

fridge corn posted:

Idk if you can get them in the US but I've got a
http://mammothcomfort.co.uk mattress and its the tits

Don't appear to :(

Totally unrelated but general chat; I have had my E36 M3 listed on the local classifieds for about five months now. I am not hurting for cash but having four cars for two drivers in the house is getting old (when my wife drives the family car mainly) so making sure each other car gets driven regularly is getting to be a ball ache. I am about ready to lower the price on the E36 just to get rid of it. I don't have to which is my main reservation.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

hey whats that website for picking out a good car shipper/transporter? east coast prices are just too good for a new VW GTI compared to what we get on the west coast.

I used direct express auto transport to get my M3 from the Bay Area to Salt Lake City. It's my only experience shipping a car and worked a treat. I think the part that makes it successful is recognizing your shipping a car and not a priority mail package so transit will take some time.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Can we all discuss for a moment the stupidity of artificial scarcity in a given product? With the kids getting older my wife recently commented how it would be nice to get a Nintendo system to play mario/mariokart etc.
Not being gamers in the least sense I looked at the current offerings which I know nothing about. I remember the Wii being cool; and Wii Sports would be perfect for the kids. Apparently the Wii U is all backwards compatible! Neat! Oh, it's discontinued; I'll look at used ones. $220! What the hell? What's the new one? A Switch? *watches brief video, blown away* sweet! Only $299! Worth it over the old model for sure.

And impossible to find. Everywhere. All the time. It was released months ago, will they ever get supply up to meet demand? Are they purposely not making enough because they are losing :homebrew: for every unit they sell? Explain to me, a non gamer why would they do this? Why is the Wii U still so dumb expensive? I'd probably buy a Switch even at a $500 price point if I could just walk in and buy one. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of any other gaming systems.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

This actually does help and makes a fair point.

InitialDave posted:

But that's the "halo product" approach, which is like selling high end cars.

With Nintendo, they're limiting supply and meaning huge numbers of people who want exactly that item can't have one.

They don't want the other product(s) available, they don't gain a favourable brand perception. They want that item, they don't get it, it annoys them.

and I agree with this. Sure that is cool to limit the product as long as you have a different one available. They don't have a different one though!

CommieGIR posted:

The worst part is they have so few titles right now for the Switch, that is practically stranded outside of Zelda.

After going to bed and thinking about it more I would be annoyed with Nintendo if I was a game developer. Knowing that your product will never reach full market potential because of the bottle neck from the manufacturer sucks. I have a few close friends that work as artists in the gaming industry and the margins are crazy thin, hours are long and you hope for the big payout. Disney shut down their office and they were fortunate to get scooped up by Warner.

Siochain posted:

http://www.nowinstock.net/

Got one within a week. Also, its worth it.

Nice. I remember looking at that site when I was hoping for an NES Classic but forgot the URL. I checked local classifieds last night too and it seems there are scalpers trying to get $350 out of them, which is only ~$30 more than I would pay locally+sales tax so if I can't get one the traditional way I will just get one through the classifieds.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

On commuting, I am just a tick over seven miles door to door. I don't even have to get on a freeway. Surface streets typically take 15-20 minutes depending on how I hit the timing on the lights.

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

They might have been mistaking your grill for a charcoal grill. Every apartment I have had and our condo was strictly NO CHARCOAL OR PELLET GRILLS. They were cool with propane grills though. I always make sure to turn off the gas at the tank valve and not just the nob on the front of the grill.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Thank you everyone! Babby Heroic arrived this morning about 8:30. It was a long night but labor progressed steady but slow for a long time. No complications though, mom and baby are great!

Re: 3 kids and M3 - we will just have to wait until they outgrow car seat phase to take it out as a family. The Flex is still entertaining enough to haul the family around that I don't get bored. :)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

So. I still want an Evo. But maybe I should broaden my car buying horizons? Should I go back to the suggest a car thread? Or stick here and get the best feedback from you guys?

The car thread wouldn't be bad to ping ideas from but they're answer to almost everything is buy a Prius. Bounce the question around here too.

The real answer is M3. No care what year, but you want an M3. Just drive one and you'll understand. I don't know what Evos are going for these days but when I looked at them they were still LOLmoney expensive and while a pure driving car they seemed pretty terrible to live with. Check your insurance rates too. Even responsible old Rhyno could still be expensive. Since getting my E90 I can't think of what I will ever go to next. It will have to be a Porsche or a GT-R. I'll probably skip the Datsun because it's ugly. The Porsche doesn't offer much in the way of utility for me with having small kids. The M3 is everything I wanted it to be.
So I say M3 or a 996 Porsche 911 (turbo if you can swing it)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

It's fine at whatever I hold it at but if I don't give it several minutes of gas and then slowly let the throttle off until it's at 650 (which is really quite difficult I might add) it'll croak.

I appreciate all the help guys. Makes me feel better knowing that there's some folks willing to help a stranger on some dead gay comedy forums with his frustrating and expensive car problems.

In my past experience with something similar it wound up being the valve cover gasket had an air leak. Have you replaced the valve cover and/or seals? Is it possible your valve cover is cracked?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Just watched the last hour of the 24h race. What a race! I was thinking Corvette was going to take the win and surprised at the turn of events on the last lap. Those things are hammers and anvils. Terrifying and loud and just work. Sad to see the tires get the best of him.
Not seeing the whole race I was surprised at how non existent Ford Racing seemed to be.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Finally sold my E36 M3 last night after being listed for about four months. :feelsgood: however I did let it go for less than what I wanted. The dude came, seemed really interested so I went for a low figure and told him "That is the lowest I will do right now. In a week or a month I will probably not agree to that price". It is nice to be back down to just two cars (nice car and beater).

Taking the kids to Cars 3 tonight. There is a lot of hate for Cars 2 because it was mostly Mater's side show which is irritating at best but the car jokes and poking fun at Leyland motors is great. All in all I enjoyed it but there was not quite the magic of the first. The Cars toys have all been fantastic though.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So much for getting it this week.. or early next week. :fuckoff:

Better yet! They will probably use FedEx or UPS "Smart Post" through USPS and it will take anywhere from 10-15 days for delivery! All to save about one or two dollars on shipping :buddy:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Rhyno posted:

JUST GOT OFFERED A FREE FORD AEROSTAR

Paint it like a dust buster

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Was this a dick move? We're the customers and buying a car is a big decision and a major purchase, so I feel like we were within our rights to do this. What does AI think?

Nope. Just because they were the first person to "pee" on you does not mean you are married to them. If he couldn't be assed to even get they keys for the car you wanted to drive you are completely within reason for finding someone that WILL get you the keys to the car you want to drive. The ownership of the awkward moment falls on him for being bad at his job. Being straight up with him for your reasons as to why you selected a different sales person is the right thing to do (You didn't get the keys to the car we wanted to drive, you belittled other customers, you generally have a lovely attitude) because it will either push him towards thinking twice before opening his dumb mouth OR it will push him out the door for him to find a job that he is good at.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Hearing the gravely voice of GOB in my mind warms the darkest corners of my cold dead heart. <3

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, but no one was racing so it's okay. You can tell no one was racing by the way the story is told there, and the fact no one exceeded the street's speed limit.

This was how I understood the narrative being told. It wasn't from a dig and didn't sound like you were trying to be something on the autobahn.

I've seen more hellcats on the road but have yet to see anyone dipping into the throttle yet. I heard one getting on a highway onramp I'm guessing at a 'breathing on throttle' pace and it sounded like the devil wanting to free himself from a V block. These cars are cool and scary but more scary are the third and fourth owners in a few years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

If I get into bed before 11:00 I feel like I have given up on the day. With the newborn and my wife not getting much sleep (because I don't lactate like she can) I have been going to bed earlier. It usually involves me just laying in bed waiting to fall asleep.

• Locked thread