Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of technological improvements to the human body, I am getting sick and loving tired of wearing glasses. They get dirty, fog up, don't stay put when you're sweating, get scratched easily and cost a fortune, double if you want a pair of prescription sunglasses as well. I want to be able to just buy cheap-rear end sunglasses if I need them, instead of having to lug around two pairs of expensive glasses, or dealing with heavy clip-ons.

What are you guys' experiences with contact lenses? Good, bad, "gently caress I ACCIDENTALLY TORE OUT MY CORNEA gently caress gently caress gently caress"?

My prescription is -0.5 in one eye, -0.75 in the other, very minor astigmatism (<0.25). I generally take off my glasses when I'm indoors, especially if I'm using a computer, because I find it less comfortable in regards to eyestrain to keep wearing the glasses. Dunno if this could be an issue.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Downsides? Sometimes feel a bit dry at the end of a long day. If I sleep in them, it takes 3-5mins to get them comfortable again

I already have slightly dry eyes at the end of the day, but I figure maybe I'm just not drinking enough water. And I wouldn't sleep with them in, except maybe on accident.

I've noticed that since I started cleaning the area around my eyes before going to bed, they're a lot less crusty and "tired" in the morning.

Liquid Communism posted:

I've had good luck with them myself. Switched because paintball masks and glasses just don't loving work. Just be paranoid and anal about your cleaning routine and/or replacing disposables on time, having an eye infection and also being blind again because you forgot to rinse them sucks.

Oh yes, definitely. Any kind of protective eye gear, including motorcycle helmets are just a pain with glasses. They're uncomfortable, and they fog up so easily. Even 3D glasses are annoying, but I do tend to avoid 3D movies anyway.

I will probably be going for daily disposables, just to avoid the cleaning and possible infection hassles. And it makes losing a lens much less of a hassle.

fridge corn posted:

Contact lenses are amazing. I lost my glasses in a club several years ago and switched to wearing contacts pretty much full time after that. One of the best decisions. It's especially nice because they correct your entire vision including peripheral which will probably be the first thing you notice particularly if you wear thin frames

That's what I'm hoping, too. It's not like I don't have peripheral vision, my prescription is rather low, after all. But just having a full corrected field of vision would be cool again.

The only downside I can think of right now is that glasses tend to shield my eyes from wind, but I'll manage.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 2, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Siochain posted:

Not sure if its an option for you, but I know my brother went with Lasik corrective surgery for a lot of your reasons (hard to keep on while working on things, get dirty/scratched, etc. - everything that happens on a farm). He has been nothing but incredibly happy with it. The only glasses he owns now are the sun and safety kind, and its been a great change for him.

Aren't there complications? Like reduced nighttime vision and such?

Plus, my prescription may change in the future, my mom is at like -5 or -6, with moderate astigmatism.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

spog posted:

Drinking more water won't help. Use eye drops and just a single application early evening will make them feel awake for quite a while.
Buy the really expensive drops from the pharmacy - you only need a single drop per eye, so that tiny bottle lasts a long time

I figure I'll have to get eye drops made for use with contacts, right?

quote:

You can now enjoy a range of sunglasses, with a variety of tints, to protect your eyes/look cool in all weathers.

at the very moment, I have 3 pairs in my car, 1 pair in my bag and 6 pairs on the shelf next to me. None of them cost more than $10, so this collection is still less than the price of a single pair of prescription sunglasses.

That's true. Just the ability to buy any pair of cheap-rear end (UV rated, of course) sunglasses wherever I am, is a gigantic incentive.

I obviously need to get myself a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators (or knockoffs) with mirrored lenses.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

IOwnCalculus posted:

Me, I'm too unnerved at the whole "lasers in your eyeballs" thing. I also figure I've only got a few years left before I need reading glasses anyway.

That's my main beef with LASIK/LASEK. Also, as far as I know you have to have a prescription that's -1.0 or worse, and mine's not that bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darchangel posted:

I tried contacts for a while, but I was having to constantly use resetting drops, or everything got blurry. I wonder if maybe the drops recommended above might be an improvement.
I intend to get LASIK at some point, but $$. I absolutely hate glasses, for all the reasons above. It's lovely being under a car, and sweaty, trying to look at something, but your glasses keep sliding to one side or another. I'm functionally blind without these things.

It sounds like you got the wrong size lenses or something, they should stay put by themselves.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryrobots posted:

Same, PRK last year with really bad astigmatism.

I work outside in heat and humidity and at night, and contacts aren't allowed in an arc flash potential environment, even if I could wear them (tried, I can't). Being able to see without being dependant on glasses is amazing.

If I could wear contacts, and/or didn't have such poor vision, it may not have been a big deal but at this point definitely the right choice.

I would consider PRK, but my prescription is not bad enough.

I can function well enough, even drive (not sure if legal, but I can) without my glasses. So I'm probably not in the target segment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I'm wearing contacts now. They're nice :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Perfectly sharp, unlike the rest of the thread.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son is scared to go to the Iron Maiden concert next week because he's worried about somebody bombing it.

When he told me this I had no words.

In light of Manchester and Rock Am Ring, the security will be massive.

No worries :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Separate beds really cut down on snuggling, and that's just unacceptable.

• Locked thread