Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

a primate posted:

I bought both Metro Redux games for 6 bux each, buy that instead!

Also what are good pads and rotors for a daily driver? I'm going to try my hand at replacing my rear set on my own for the first time :angel:

I am really happy with the Centric ceramic pads I just put on my Crown Vic. I got the fancy drilled Centric C-Tek rotors because they cost about the same in a kit as plain rotors, but just about anything will do for that. I've only had the pads on a week, but no dusting so far, especially compared to the semi-mets that were on it (likely the cheapest available) The grab quite a bit more aggressively than the previous pads, too. Not enough to say that they are "grabby", but noticeably more effective, which I like.

freelop posted:

There should be another Unreal Tournament
Yes. I barely got to play the original, because I couldn't afford enough PC to run it.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That moment when you order a compressor from someone in Texas, who claims it's shipping from less than 100 miles away (Granbury) and you ask them if you can just pick it up in person... then the tracking shows it's coming from Michigan.

So much for getting it this week.. or early next week. :fuckoff:

Wow. Do they not understand how tracking works, or just not care because they've got your money now? Probably that last.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Better yet! They will probably use FedEx or UPS "Smart Post" through USPS and it will take anywhere from 10-15 days for delivery! All to save about one or two dollars on shipping :buddy:

"Smart Post" needs to not just die, but be executed in public.

opengl128 posted:

They have, its currently in Alpha and free

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Movement feels just as good as UT always has. Some maps are ugly still but I play with buddies pretty often. Its awesome.

Uh.
...I'll be in my bunk office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

My buddy's 1984 Nissan 720 just failed a smog test with CO levels about 2.5x allowable. Where would you guys start? He thinks he has a vacuum leak but I haven't verified how he came to that conclusion or if it even would affect CO.

Move to a state that doesn't try to do insane things like smog 30+ year old cars.

But if you can't do that, the Internet says that high CO is from rich fuel mixtures:
http://www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-20.htm (scroll down about half-way)

edit: usually, a vacuum leak would cause high HC, unless it's the MAP, possibly. I think.

edit 2: another one: http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-carbon-monoxide-CO.cfm

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 23, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Run the tank near empty, fill with 5 gallons of denatured alcohol.

Use E85 if it's available in your neck of the woods. Significantly cheaper. That's how my '90 RX-7 passed the last two years it needed to (high HC.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

Six makes you a rear admiral. :smuggo:

I have only six if I count a trailer. Barely a squadron.

Hope you gentlegoons are enjoying a warm summer's Saturday as I most certainly am not.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at, but I got a good laugh out of the commentary.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

My PC is barely below the minimum requirement, I just don't have the love for games that would prompt me to dedicate this kind of money and time to it anymore.

This is pretty much why I turned the Xbox 360 years ago. More that I was too poor to keep up with PC hardware at the time. Now it's totally that I don't care. Caveat is that you have to get used to a controller, and mods are pretty much right out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Land Rover temp gauge seems to read quite high, but I think it's the regulator for the gauges causing it, rather than it being an actual cooling issue.

Of course, I completely forgot that if it causes the temp gauge to read high, it will also cause the fuel gauge to read high. Good thing I carry an extra gallon with me!

Landie community in action though, in the time it took me to get the can out and pour it in, a guy in a P38 had pulled over to ask if I needed a hand.

He pulled over to help, because he *knows* he's going to need someone to pull over and help him, at any time. Just paying it forward.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

Top loaders are just way less of a pain in the rear end. They seem to break less and are easy to fix.
Also European dryers are vastly inferior to superior American dryers.

...that are made in China.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

nm posted:

Even so (though my maytags were musa), the design is just better.

Yeah, I know. Just playing Devil's Advocate.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

whirlpool are made here in michigan (though i'm sure all the parts are from china)

That's why we bought a Whirlpool refrigerator.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

whirlpool are made here in michigan (though i'm sure all the parts are from china)

Might be worth it to, er, help it along, somehow. Pinhole in the coils, maybe?

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If you don't care if they match, or how old they are, you can find W/D sets all day on Craigslist and facebook for $150 or less. There's a ton of used appliance shops that have basic sets for $150-300 on Craigslist here, generally with a 30-90 day warranty and sometimes with delivery included. If they're basic models, you can probably keep them going for ages until something expensive (transmission in the washer, for example) takes a poo poo.

Our HE front loader set came from an appliance shop, for about $400, with the drawer stands. I don't even actually recall the brand at the moment, maybe GE? Anyway, a few settings on the dial don't work, but Normal, Delicate, and Heavy Duty do, so we're happy. Apparently you can replace the main board to fix it. It's about $150 to do so, so not completely outrageous, but the stuff that won't select are settings we only would want to use occasionally, if at all. I've had to plastic fix a bunch of the retainers for buttons and such on the main panel, because the plastic they used gets crispy (ABS of some sort), and replace a safety limit thermistor on the dryer (twice!), but they work fine. Appliance shop delivered, installed, and took the old units for the purchase price. A+, would buy again.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

e: getting to it via outside isn't really an option... I'm on the 3rd floor.

Pussy.

Cage posted:

Had my first catastrophic oil change yesterday. I do the oil on my 04 mustang and 99 explorer all the time, the oil filter comes off by hand and gets tightened by hand, no problems. I helped my dad out with his 09 grand marquis which has the same engine as the mustang, so I thought hey easy! Oil filter was on there pretty tight from the last time the dealer did the oil, so I needed to use filter tool to get it off. Put the new one on and I tighten it by hand, I even get two hands on and to make sure its tight and its not going anywhere. Turn the engine on and whoops everything dumps out. Turns out hand tight was not ok on this car, so I got the tool on there and it did tighten a few more twists. After we filled it up the engine knocked for about 3 seconds until the oil started getting in there which had me super worried but everything seems ok now.

Luckily because our driveway is lovely and uneven it didn't spill outside of the tarp it just pooled in the middle so we used a sponge to soak it up and dump it out. That was fun.

Hand tight should be good enough (your hand may vary, I suppose.) Maybe take a look at it again if you get a chance. Something might be wonky.

One of the idler pulleys on my Crown Vic has been intermittently squeaking for a while. Finally got on Rock Auto, etc and checked prices. Eh, cheap enough, so I bought both from Amazon because Prime. An also cheaper. I'll replace the easy one (fixed idler) first, and then the one on the tensioner if that doesn't get it.

edit:

Thank you, added to watch list.

edit 2:

eyebeem posted:

I bought the cobalts off of Craigslist after finding that the wheelset I had planned to use for a while had a bum front hub and front rim. I got a killer deal on them and they will make an awesome spare wheelset.

I have a custom whee build coming sometime in late July. Spank Oozy rims on hope pro 4 hubs. Blue rim on red hub, red rim on blue hub. White spokes.

The goal is to eliminate everything black and boring on the bike. Still needs a ritchey wet white stem and wet red seatpost.

As for the oval, it's what I run on all of my 1x bikes.

You're... making up manufacturer names, right?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 26, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

eyebeem posted:

Zibba Zabba Wubb Dubb

You're not wrong that almost all of the brands on that bike have silly names:

Ritchey
Hope
CrankBrothers
Schwalbe
Specialized
Absolute Black
WolfTooth
RaceFace
STG
Lezyne
Spurcycle
Spank
Loaded Precision
VeloSport
Lizard Skins

In all seriousness, the only one of those I recognize is Specialized.
Admittedly, "bike nerd" is one of the nerds I'm not. I'm plenty of other nerds, mind you.

Sadi posted:

Found you some gloves eyebeem.
http://handupgloves.com/gloves/merica

gently caress yeah! (Sorry, could not resist.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

eyebeem posted:

Heh, I didn't even post what I was wearing on that ride:

Can't hate on Cap.
I should dig out my Murray piece of poo poo MTB and at least tool my fat self around the neighborhood. Maybe then I can become my not quite as fat self. (Hard not too pushing around the ton of steel a cheap MTB is...)

Edit: I could ride my wife's Terra trike, I suppose. It's pretty nifty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

I'm a few (OK, 6 or so) hours from seeing possibly the best chance at a total eclipse in my life. Mrs Slidebite and I decided we'd best try to see it.

Best/closest area is in the middle of butt-gently caress nowhere, Idaho, only to discover hotel rooms solidly booked for Pocatello and Idaho Falls already. Being the height of summer probably doesn't help matters much. Ended up just booking Butte, Mt which is 3 hours North from the main path of totality but works well because we can take in Lewis and Clark caverns the day before and just need to leave the room by 7AM to be ~somewhere~ in the path to see it.

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

poo poo. Closest to me is like 9 hours away.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Urgh something I ate in the last 24hrs has seriously disagreed with me.

Im off work today and seriously starting to work out the logistics of how to use a cloud to wipe my arse with cos toilet paper feels like 40 grit right about now

I'm confused. I thought The Cloud *was* "my butt". How do you wipe your arse with your arse?
Ohhhh, you mean an actually cloud.

Get thee to the grocery store/Walmart/etc. On the TP aisle will be products called "sanitary wipes". They are baby wipes for adults. Buy them, wipe in more comfort, if not comfort. there's even a brand called "Man Wipes" or something.

nm posted:

Baby wipes

Or, yeah, actual baby wipes will do the same thing, but you'll smell like a baby.

IOwnCalculus posted:

"But this managerial course we took says we have to have people in the office from 9 to 5! It's important!"

That's a load of horseshit. I can't stand management that doesn't seem to understand that a big part of the reason people work is because they have families to take care of, and might actually need to spend some loving time with them.

It's amazing how often management doesn't seem to realize how many of use don't actually *want* to work, but have to because we like to eat and provide for our family. Or maybe they just don't care, because they could replace you easily. Probably that last one. "Hey, why can't we seem to keep talented, reliable employees?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

Elite 10% reporting in. Looked up my Chevy's option codes while I sat at the DMV registering it. Got a G80. :coal:

Now to instantly negate that, in the 16 years I've been wrenching I've mostly purchased/owned 160k mile plus Japanese cars. A twelve year 92k Outback is the newest thing I've ever owned. I've never replaced any more than badly need suspension parts, like bad ball joints or a grinding wheel bearing or strut mount. I've never replaced a shock or strut.

I just replaced everything on my truck. Holy poo poo, it makes a difference. I'm going to have to start replacing struts on everytging now.

My wife's Kia needs new struts, after 160K miles. At least one is blown, because it's doing that rolling thing when you hit a dip, where one corner pitches more than the rest. My RX-7 did that, and, as you say, it was amazing with new (well, used, but good Tokico blues) struts.

Ferremit posted:

I took a poo poo today at work and had to use the government supplied cheapest, nastiest '1500 sheets per roll' single ply toilet paper.

Felt like i was buffing my arsehole with a bitumen road.

I'm sorry for your pain, but I literally laughed out loud at that last line.

BraveUlysses posted:

oh its not that i'm not tired enough to fall asleep at 8 or 9, just that i've got so little time at home with wife and kid it sucks to get into bed so 'early'

Holy poo poo, this. Not to mention anything else you need to get done on weekdays.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I've heard of that kit running $100-150. I'd imagine labor would be whatever the minimum labor amount is at that dealer (1/2 hour to an hour).

So probably 200-300. :argh:

This is pretty much how they do cruise control, too. the stalk is all the hardware that's needed, since everything is DBW, but you need a GM tech and programmer to enable it in the ECU.

edit: you get your new AC compressor in yet?

• Locked thread