Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Aaaand now my a/c seems to be acting up. Airflow is fine and condenser fan is running, so something with the actual make-poo poo-cold side of things. Lovely.

Now to clean up my apartment before putting in a work order so they don't see how I live. :v:

E: it's 78 degrees and humid in my bedroom. but not in the fun way.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So fun a/c update: still hot, and i realized the periodic buzzing noise I occasionally heard through my shower the last couple days was, not something in a neighboring unit, but my own circuit breaker panel. :stonk: It stopped after I flipped open the a/c circuit, so that's a neat wrinkle in whatever is wrong with it.

Air handler and a/c are on separate breakers, so I can at least have airflow. My ceiling fan is still dead; latest word is my mom wants to give me the one from her bedroom, which I was in. It's dinky and stuck on high (broken pull chain), but my room is smaller than that master bedroom and I'd never turn it off anyway.

And if it's too small, comedy option is I cad up some bigger blades and get them laser cut at the school. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haven't heard back from maintenance yet re a/c

Someone please airlift an iceberg into my bedroom I am dying

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

There are a couple DIY air conditioners out there that you could whip up temporarily, have you looked into any?

Those mostly work by evaporative cooling, which requires dry air

Guess what I don't have in Orlando

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryrobots posted:

You said the breaker for the outside unit was buzzing and you shut it off right? Try re-setting it back to 'On', see if it kicks on? Small chance maybe the breaker was in a failed 'half tripped' state and they may get you back going.

Better chance the breaker is bad, since it really shouldn't be sitting there making constant noise, but it's worth a shot.

I've tried that a few times including leaving it off all night, no change. And it's not constant, it buzzes (more like a rattle) for a second or so, then is quiet for a while, then repeats. Definitely gives the impression of something trying and failing to start.

I'll definitely have the guys look at it, but the switches feel good, panel is date coded 1998, and they're not stab loks; I'm inclined to think it's the a/c itself.

E: for what it's worth, the condenser fan outside is running just fine. I dunno if the breaker marked "a/c" is for that or for the compressor, but take that as you will.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ExplodingSims posted:

The compressor and fan are on the same circuit. That breaker just runs power out to the condenser.
It sounds like you've just got a bad cap. Either that or the compressor is toast.

But based on what you're saying, with the breaker buzzing intermittently, it's mostly likely trying to start, not getting enough power, and then shutting off.

If this was a house I'd have the access panels off and be checking stuff visually and w/meter. I'm leaving it alone though so they can't try and say I hosed with it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My uncle sent this to me, love it.

Oh, oh-whoa sweet tire o'mine

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well I spent the night at my mom's place, both for a/c and to help out with my sister who's still recovering.

Got an email like 20 minutes ago saying the job's done, apparently it was indeed the start capacitor. Hopefully this'll be the end of it.

E: I probably wouldn't be so bothered by the a/c breaking if it wasn't going on the exact same time as I'm all worried about my sister, fyi. Whole lotta stress going on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Depression surging again and I'm doing my best to fight through it. Replaced my center brake light which has been dead since I got the car, I had a mild hope it would make my abs light go out but no dice. AZ i guess can't read abs codes either, so I guess I'll have to get them read at a shop; I've been meaning to get the alignment checked anyway, car drives fine but the front tires were a little chopped when I got it.

Man, I wanna make something but I have no problems that need solving. I've been thinking about getting a lawn more engine and converting it to efi with an arduino, just for a challenge.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

~~real poo poo~~ post incoming, heads up.

Dudes i am real loving worried about my sisters. Apparently what they took out when the one went under the knife last week was some real rare, real virulent form of cancer. Like, prognosis even from stage 1 (which she was at) is not great. It's also got a strong hereditary component despite its rarity. I'm probably not really at risk (~96% of cases are ovarian), but I found out this info from my other sister. If you weren't aware, they are identical twins. Identical genes. Her voice was shaky telling me this.

If either of my sisters, who have busted their rear end to start their careers, worked hard to stay healthy, and supported me in my times of need, get taken away from us while my fat useless rear end is left behind.... I honestly don't know how I'd react.

I've been alternating between depression naps and just zoning out at the computer for the last 12 hours since finding all this out. I'm actually holding back tears worrying about all this. I just... I dunno, kinda needed to vent.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

X
Box
One
X

So clever!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doom owns but I need to get another ssd so I can finish it. I can have either 5 other open world games in my stream ssd folder, or Doom.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My commute is 6 miles to school, usually about 20-30 minutes depending on if I stop at the convenience store.

On bad days it can take that long again to find parking.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Red is me, yellow is the school, green is an ecologically protected river with no crossings aside from major roads.

White arrows are Alafaya Trail and University Boulevard, 6 lane roads with two modes: get passed by lunatics like I'm standing still while doing 55 in a 45, or backed up for miles with reckless assholes weaving and jockeying for position like it's loving nascar.

South of me connecting to University is a little 2 lane road with no bike lane, trees right up to the shoulder, and lots of blind corners.

There's a nice trail behind my complex, but to avoid the busy roads I have to detour way out of my way, either north to Oviedo or south towards highway 50, which is a shitshow of its own.

Now consider doing all this in a pounding thunderstorm with lightning striking several times a minute like it's been all this week. While carrying a backpack and laptop bag.

E: also I pretty often have to shuttle bulky project materials from school to home, not really feasible on a bike.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's hard to explain FL thunderstorms to people who aren't familiar. There may not be tornadoes, or softball-sized hail, but the sheer volume of rain dumping down can get ridiculous and the lightning is ever-present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WgHTXMswG0

They're not all like that, of course, but it's typical enough that the risk just isn't worth it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Shoutout to the fucks who assembled my new-to-me office chair for using loving locktite on the armrest screws, recessing them deep enough that even if I had sockets here it would be a tight fit, and making the bolts out of cheese metal so the last one out stripped horrendously(E: with the phillips drive they oh so graciously included). I was having to push down on the screwdriver so hard, I actually developed and tore a blister on my palm in the 5 minutes or so it took me to get them all out. And that's just one side.

My fatman thighs are grateful for the effort, though. I may or may not be designing new, more spacious, laser-cuttable ones as we speak.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 15, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh my god. It's... it's beautiful. :allears: I'd hate to be caught outside in that though.

Oh, it's great to watch from a safe spot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mods plz namechange to FORTRAN'S RIGHTS

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kazinsal posted:

I'm genuinely surprised that its wheels are that small.

Two words: Donk Festiva.

Sooooo... 16s?

E: also no honest man needs more than rwd with a solid axle and open diff. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 20, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

At the airport dropping off GF's kid, then heading out on a 6 hour drive down to vandenburg to hang at a beach and visit her ex husband's cousin (whom apparently picked her side over his, since he's a cheating dick) and watch the SpaceX launch tomorrow before driving back.

I drove over to Titusville yesterday to watch a launch from up close, it was a great trip. Try and get a side-on view of the launch track if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man this coding class is an elective, why is it more intuitive and enjoyable than the vibes class I need to graduate? I thought coding was supposed to be an indecipherable and arcane majyyk.

Vibes exam tomorrow got me hella nervous to where I can't even focus on studying for it.

• Locked thread