Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Only just heard about https://www.24hoursoflemons.com/rally, anyone know of similar events (cheap/bad cars, relatively low registration fee) in the Southwest? If I can get some friends to commit we could even trailer the 164 or the 280ZX out to the California rally... a Ranger can tow a car+trailer all the way from New Mexico to California, right? :getin:

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Rhyno posted:

OH MY GOD I OWN A PT CRUISER

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Assuming its the same PS system as the neon I'm pretty sure they screamed new.

Sounds like Chrysler decided to steal Ford's PS technology.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp, bought a memory foam mattress a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty sure it's giving me a sore back in the mornings. On the other hand, my wife is finally sleeping worth a drat, so maybe I'll get used to it

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

So far today I fixed an old Selectric typewriter, figured out how to stop my wife's bike's front tire from wiggling (loose hub), and got a start on finally cleaning the garage a bit. Satisfying.

We're heading to Lowes in a bit for a couple paving stones to make a path in the yard, day's not over yet :getin:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My 164 leaks at the corner of the windshield. I've tested by pouring water right there and sure enough it drips into the cabin. Is there any option to DIY, or do I just want to take it to a glass shop? My concern with a shop is they're not gonna be getting a lot of old cars and might gently caress up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The 280ZX is registered, gonna take it for a short drive tonight and hope I don't need to use my insurance's roadside assistance.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Prong Song posted:

I just CANNOT sell this motorcycle. I might actually have to resort to posting it on Craigslist, but I don't know if I can handle the level of asshattery I've experienced selling vehicles on CL at this point in my life.

What's y'all's tips on cutting out the joyriders, wanna-trade-ers, lowballers, and scam artists from CL?

What's the bike and where are you located?

rdb posted:

Use a burner phone number. There is an app called "burner" that makes this simple.

Keep the add short with only the most important details. Leave out the negative points. If someone's actually serious they will ask questions other than "what's ur bottom doller".

Take good pictures.

State no trades, but avoid absolutes in discussing price. With that said price it higher than what you want with the expectation that haggling will occur.

And last, just don't let it get to you. People are people. You want to sell it, right? Personally I just trade poo poo in.

This is all good advice. I hate giving a phone number because old men insist on calling you... when I sold my 79 Honda CM400T, this old guy called me every loving morning for a week. He ended up buying it but christ he was a pain in the rear end.

Weirdly, keeping the ad short definitely seems to have a higher correlation with more responses. I think maybe your average craigslist user thinks "didn't write much" == "doesn't know much about what you're selling/seller is stupid" so they'll be able to get a better deal, although IMO it would be hard to be stupider than the average craigslist user & still be capable of typing or allowed to own a vehicle. Personally, I love a really detailed post, but I think I'm in the minority there.

Even if you say "no trades" you can probably expect to get a few trade offers. Enjoy them. People offer the stupidest poo poo for trade--I had somebody offer me an airsoft gun in exchange for my Crown Vic.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In my experience, Lol-ballers are usually pretty up front about it. Your first email from them will probably be something like "I'll give you half your asking price." Just don't reply to those, in any way shape or form.
I generally don't discuss price via email. If you're that motivated to come look at it, then you're probably prepared to pay close to full ask anyway so that puts me in a better haggling position. If you try to start haggling via email, then I'm going to tell you straight up, I'm not haggling via email. You can come with cash in hand and we'll talk about it then. I don't care if you're 3 states away or that your cousin's boyfriend's dog just died. You come here, with money. Offer money. I give you bike or tell you to gently caress off.
Scam artists usually try to make things complicated, or offer to use paypal, or check or some other bullshit. Nope. Meet me in person. Cash in hand. That's it.
Potential robbers: I try to meet in a well lit public place within direct line of sight of a security camera. If I'm carrying a gun I generally try not to look the part. If I'm not, then I'll be wearing some NRA shirt or 2nd amendment hat, or go find yourself some hillbilly 'I like guns and blowing poo poo up' paraphernalia. Even better if you bring a friend.

Joyriders: tell them you need cash in hand before they ride. They have 5 minutes. If they're not back by then, just leave with their money. If they try to call the cops, just say "I gave him the bike, and the title. He gave me this wad of cash. Boom, done deal."

Craigslist users seem to have too many cousins, as a rule. I'll totally come see the car once I get my money from my cousin. Oh, I couldn't make it because my cousin called at the last minute with an emergency. I live in <another state> so my cousin is going to come check it out.

I've responded to plenty of ads that state CASH IN HAND NO CASH NO RIDE... I don't mention the cash in hand bit, and when I show up I talk to them a little and then go for a test ride, with the cash safely in my pocket the entire time. I suppose it depends on the bike in question whether or not you'll want to be strict about it; if you were selling a Bro Bike like a STRETCHED BUSA then it makes sense. I've really only ever sold old cars and old bikes so it's not been a big issue, I just write "Cash only" at the bottom to try and avoid offers of "this bag of weed and 7 Subway cards"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm a horrible nerd, so I ordered Rockastansky, #79. :)

But did you spell the name right on the order form?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I just fat-fingered it here. Order form says Rockatansky as is proper.

That's good, I wanted to make sure since they're pretty drat expensive.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I got a text from my old roommates. They're pregnant.

She had her first kid taken by CPS and rehomed with a family member, he owes well over a quarter mil in back child support to 3 different women (so far). They're bouncing between couches and hotels.

I'm not sure if I should say congrats, or send condolences on the pending child support lawsuit (and/or CPS investigations).

Tell them you're sure the foster families will love this child too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rdb posted:

Electric is fine for stuff up to 7-10" with a sharp chain. Just a word of warning, however, chaps designed for gas saws won't protect you from electric since those don't have a clutch.

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

I can't even make it around my yard, much less the fence, without having to spool line. Never mind the several tanks of gas. That's with a Stihl fs130 and one of their giant heads, I think it's a 36. On top of that, I have an echo SRM-225 that has sat fairly consistently since 2014 with tru-fuel in it that will start with a couple pulls right now if needed. Don't buy junk gas trimmers and they are fine.

I've had the same electric trimmer for 4 years, 3 different houses, and I'm still using the same line it came with. I don't mow the lawn often, though, and the trimmer only comes out a few times each summer.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

For portraits, you will generally want to go with a longer lens. I hear low 100s of mm focal length tossed around.

Also, buy a Pentax ME Super instead :haw:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bicycle guys: Is a Lemond Buenos Aires worth checking out? My wife's looking for a bike and this one seems like it's in good shape and a good price: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/6170092668.html

Edit: never mind, it's way too aggressive, we're gonna find more of a hybrid/city bike.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 10, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

It's old, and the wheels are prone to cracking and are disposable, but it's a super solid and nice bike for $350. Worst case, throw some $150 Shimano wheels on it and run it forever.

Well, if it was my size I'd consider it, but thinking about it, we probably need to get her more of a city bike... she doesn't have that much experience riding bicycles so throwing her on that right off the bat would be a little hardcore.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DICK DICER posted:

False alarm. Diagnosed meant he found his answer and needed to sell a doctor on it. Jumped the gun. Reactivating stealth mode.

webmd strikes again

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Bicycle people, I call on you again. My wife has tried some new bikes and we're thinking of going that route. The two she likes best are:

Diamondback HaanJenn Metro, $550 at REI which means we'll get $50 back at the end of the year (https://www.rei.com/product/108765/diamondback-haanjenn-metro-womens-bike-2017)

Cannondale Quick 4, $500 at the local Trek store down from a normal ~$700 (here's the bike at REI https://www.rei.com/product/108565/cannondale-quick-4-bike-2017)

The Diamondback has disc brakes while the Cannondale has rim brakes. The Diamondback is 1x9 gearing while the Cannondale has 3x7. They're both quite light and comfortable. Is there a reason to go with one brand over the other? Are the disc brakes a big enough enticement to pick the Diamondback?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

5.5 miles, maybe 15 min. Longer if there's a line at the gate.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

At last, after over a year, I drove my $500 Datsun to work.

It did fine! We took it to lunch too. Despite my early hopes the A/C does not, in fact, work, a fact that shouldn't surprise considering it sat in a driveway for 10 years.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Apparently it got to 34.5C (94F) today in london. There was a tiny breeze and it felt like a hairdryer.

Over the last 7 days the only place I have found that has AC is the occasional supermarket.

Tomorrow I am working in a building with 2 air conditioned server rooms. gently caress working in the office. I'm gonna sit in one of the server rooms. Then on the way home i'm going to look at a car that has AC (Therefore it will probably be under 20C for the rest of the year now...)

It's been over 100 every day this week here in Albuquerque. On Monday, it got so hot in Phoenix that they grounded air traffic, which I didn't even know was possible.

You can get used to it; I grew up in a desert environment that would regularly hit 110F in the summer and I'd be working in dusty cattle pens. Albuquerque's been more or less like returning to my childhood home. You, unfortunately, are probably hosed because your body won't have enough time to adapt.

Drink enough water, and if you're not sweating after a while outside you probably need to get somewhere cool and hydrate.

You might be able to rig up some sort of evaporative cooling with a fan and some water-soaked cloth, but if the humidity is high this won't work.

Seminal Flu posted:

Looks like they spelled it with a "Z," does that change your metrics?

poo poo, I'll pay £200 in that case.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

Me either. Turns out, the heat causes the air to expand and make it not dense enough for the planes to take off in the given runway length.

Hell, that means we're at even greater risk of it here in ABQ at over a mile altitude. Here's a small plane failing to stay in the air at ~6,000 feet in an Idaho summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVM3RRd1vf0

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My buddy's 1984 Nissan 720 just failed a smog test with CO levels about 2.5x allowable. Where would you guys start? He thinks he has a vacuum leak but I haven't verified how he came to that conclusion or if it even would affect CO.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Is it his daily? If he doesn't drive it much it might need some time on the road (both highway and city) to warm up the emissions control a bit, especially if it's got an 80s cat in it.
Good point, I think it was ~10 min to the testing station but only via city streets

Edit: he apparently drove it on some errands and then a long run to the testing place so probably pretty hot.

Also gas is $1.99 here today.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 23, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Move to a state that doesn't try to do insane things like smog 30+ year old cars.

It's exempt as of January 2018, so he only needs to pass once.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I hope my freebie top loading washer and accompanying dryer never die. My neighbors gave them to me, they work great and have no problems, and I'd hate to have to replace the drat things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slurry_curry posted:

Any worth of making a roadtrip thread? tldr: planning a road trip and need input on where we should stop.

The wife and I are going to be driving from Seattle to Minneapolis to visit my brother and his wife, as well as go to a family reunion with my mom and grandma at the end of July/early August. Now comes the work of figuring out our path there and back and what we need to stop and see on the way. We know its peak tourist season, so we are going to try to avoid the big names and explore more off the beaten track, which is more our style anyway. The one big thing we have to see is Mt Rushmore, since the wife has never been there. I have been looking at Roadside America(http://www.roadsideamerica.com/) for ideas, any other sites that are worth checking out?

So where should we stop? We have 2+ weeks blocked off to make this trip so we won't be in hurry.

I remember liking Glacier National Park as a kid, but that would have been 1995 or so, it might be way busier these days. At least it's pretty far from the freeway.

Definitely take some other route over the Cascades instead of I-90; I remember US 2 being nice and you can check out Leavenworth on the way through. Grand Coulee is worth seeing and it's never been packed with tourists.

Soap Lake is a weird little town full of Russian immigrants, not a long drive from Grand Coulee. The lake is full of minerals and has always been held to have healing qualities, there may still be spas there. The mineral quantity makes for improved buoyancy, although probably not to Dead Sea levels.

• Locked thread