Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Darchangel posted:

Oh, god yes, the humidity sucks. Doing all the brake work last weekend was just shy of miserable. I had to take breaks in the garage with shade and a box fan, and keep a towel handy. Wearing a boonie hat helped.
I didn't use to be that bad here in N.TX. Both of my grandparent's hoses had swamp coolers, and they actually worked when I was kid in elementary school (loooong ago).
I was accustomed to this sort of humidity when I lived down near the Gulf Coast. Don't really want it up here...

It was 33 degrees C/91F yesterday where I was. 94% humidity. It was not fun just existing let alone doing anything. And this is in the UK, it was loving crazy hot and miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I think I would rather buy a house than drop $25K on a toy car.

...but you'd still be in Indiana so a cool, fun car would be a good way to try and escape the fact you live in Indiana.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

poo poo that's a lot of stuff on sale.

Do I buy video games or do I buy an 86

AE86? Buy car.

GT86? Buy games.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Indiana roads are turbogarbage though.

You can buy a lot of car, hotel stays and gas with house money though... ROAD TRIPPPPPPPPPPPPP (away from Indiana as far as possible)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Na we'll have to post about what games we bought, how we like them, what we wish was on sale, how bad the steam servers are struggling and a hundred other things.

...how Titanfall 2 is the best FPS for a long time

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

better than doom 2016?

I have Doom and played it after T2. It feels like a backward step in terms of movement system, combat, speed, weapon feel... Doom is a drat fine game, very pretty and technically fantastic but it's not as fun to play to me, it's still very much a dumb FPS from back in the day.

Also T2's multiplayer shits all over Doom's from a great height, no contest.

I say this as someone who played Doom back in the day on a 486, DX25 and has much love for the series; Titanfall 2 is the better FPS.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Titanfall 2 is good but Overwatch is better team shooter

PUBG is also extremely good though I guess all three of these are technically different sub genres of FPS?

I tried Overwatch but couldn't get into it, it felt too floaty and cartoony and none of the weaponry was satisfying. That and shooting people just plinked off them until they fell over. I had it for the free weekend and spanked it for a solid day to see if it was something I could get into but those things and the whole gift box collectathon bullshit turned me right off it. I can certainly see why people play it but it's pretty much everything I don't like in a shooter.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

There should be another Unreal Tournament

You mean they should just pretty up Unreal Tournament. Quake has been re-released(ish) as Quake Champions and is every bit as mad as it used to be. Sometimes I just want to get a first person perspective on the large nuke I've just launched though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOkdDpoK-c

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

opengl128 posted:

They have, its currently in Alpha and free

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Movement feels just as good as UT always has. Some maps are ugly still but I play with buddies pretty often. Its awesome.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

So my girlfriend has moved onto a farm recently. The guy that owns it was born on it 70 years ago and is one of those 'make it work' types simply because his way of farming is oldschool and not making fat cash like intensive farming.

Yesterday he was faffing about with his tractor, a 1980 International 784. It's big, old, looks like poo poo and been repaired a million times but still runs hard. 38 years isn't a bad number for a workhorse tractor.

Anyway he was faffing with it saying the gear linkages are getting progressively worse, not shifting all the way and needed to do something about it. I return back to the farm later and find him out front driving about testing his new repair, asking what he'd done he told me the thing has a gated shifter(!!) and that because it wasn't allowing him to shift into gear all the way he simply made the gates longer... It now works perfectly. Bodgetastic.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Wrar posted:

This last week has been kind of crazy for me. I discovered that my good friend of nearly 20 years is my half-brother, DNA confirmed. Before my folks got married, my mom had a child she gave up for adoption.

This is some Hallmark channel poo poo guys.

That's actually kinda awesome but odd too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

WipEout will soon be real :awesomelon:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ended up getting the Whirlpool Cabrios for $300 off each, total cost was about $1500 with a 10% discount coupon from Lowes

These things are wicked quiet

Question for anyone in the know. Why are top loaders a thing in the US? Over here in the UK they're seen as antiquated and old fashioned to the point where the only top loading washing devices you can get are designed for places like caravans or boats and are cheap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

eyebeem posted:

Finished building up my new bike, and took it for a ride. It's the shiiiiiiiit.

I like how the wheels on that cost more than everything else on the bike put together.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

eyebeem posted:

Not even close to correct.

Oh they're only Cobalt 3s? You cheapass...

Also here's me thinking you'd done something cool and bought an old Ritchey frame instead of a 29er painted up like the oldschool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Next he's gonna remove the freehub and go vegan

I enjoy how few fixies I see these days, I'm glad the fad is over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah they can be a nice training aid for someone who actually rides a proper bike too but for the majority of people who bought them they're not fun. I've seen too many sketchy fuckers rolling around on bikes with no brakes on roads filled with idiot drivers and in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm going to witness a fatality.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My girlfriend owns a Jazz/Fit. I need to convince her a K20 is life.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Speaking of cars in movies, this is now out and I'm seeing it tomorrow. It's supposedly superb...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirEgK7yJCg

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

I'll probably see it early next week, hoping it'll be good.

I'll make sure to either praise or pan it here. I'm hopeful though, it's getting all around praise it seems. Apparently the director secured the rights to use the songs in the film before doing anything else and basically worked the action sequences to the rhythm and energy of the songs... If nothing else it'll be a treat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Midniter posted:

What's the protocol for dealing with a lovely salesperson at a dealership?

Honestly? gently caress 'em. Hell, tell the boss at the dealership that salesperson is annoying as poo poo.

Also be proud that now you're the star of a story to be told to his next customers because you were 'assholes'.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

financially racist posted:

especially since i also plan on purchasing an autozam az-1 down the line because i am completely mental and like extremely dumb poo poo.

:hfive:

You are supremely cool for wanting one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

financially racist posted:

i might've accidentally bought an aw11 that's been sitting for 5 years.

it's legitimately rust-free which is why i pulled the trigger. like i checked every inch of it and there's literally nothing other than a small amount of surface rust under the trunk carpeting.

400 bucks.

loving hell, bargain. I hate you a little.

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, it's Edgar Wright, so I'd hope he'd be on top of that.

No spoilers!

Spoiler: it's super fun and the soundtrack is so good. I had to get them to turn it up though as it was too quiet during the opening scene.

• Locked thread