Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Flawless monthly thread transition!

I'm trying to get paint for my car but it seems that nobody in the UK can get the mix formula for the original 1975-82 paint code anymore so will have to match it to the car.

The smallest painted part that I can find to remove from the car that appears to have any original paint on is the inside of the boot lid, so i guess i'm driving that over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just got trapped on a hot crowded train next to the worlds smelliest man. I was close to retching after 30 mins of breathing through my mouth.

I'm now home, have had a shower and changed my clothes and I'm still having flashbacks.

Apparently he was on his way to go DJ psytrance somewhere in north wales for the weekend. I pity whoever has to share a train carriage with him on the way home!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My son is scared to go to the Iron Maiden concert next week because he's worried about somebody bombing it.

When he told me this I had no words.

I hope you have explained to him how he needs to go there and to have an awesome time.

Its a bit cliched but it's true - don't let these people win. Don't let someone else's stupid lovely opinions and actions stop you doing the things you want to do.

Realistically, security at every big gig now is going to be even tighter. he will be safer in there than anywhere else!.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was kind of shocked when he brought it up to me because we don't really watch the news much, but it made me realize he pays more attention to it than I thought. The only thing I could come up with at the time is that it only happens in Europe so we'll be fine. It's sounds lovely but unfortunately it's pretty accurate, I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.

I live near Manchester and go to 1 or 2 gigs a week. I have been working in London a lot recently and went to one too there last week after which I walked home through borough market and got a train from London bridge station back to my hotel.

I don't worry about this stuff when going to any event because that would be poo poo and if I worried about all the poo poo that could kill me I would never leave the house.

You are more likely to die in a car crash... Does that stop you from driving anywhere or from enjoying driving your car?

He will be fine. There will be security who will check bags or likely not even allow you to take bags in. Maiden will be great.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

To celebrate my last speeding ticket being 4 years old and coming off my license last month I managed to get myself a new one :(

If I'm 4 mph over the 'speed awareness course' limit do I have a £100+ fine to look forward to? Or will this count as my first offence and let me do a course?

Annoyingly I saw the fucker and I was sure that I had slowed down as I was following someone else :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

just got the NIP. 46 in a 30 from a van parked about 400m after the 30 sign (it drops from 60).

I've just looked at the photo online and they got me at 46 from 367.1 metres away! - so pretty much right after the speed limit drop sign :(

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'd seen that. I'm hoping they save the meanest penalties for people with lots of points. I technically have a clean license and its not like it was 130mph or at 3pm outside a school (its at 7pm near a cemetery and the national speed limit sign would be visible in frame opposite my car if it were winter and the trees had no leaves on)..

InitialDave posted:

The NIP arrived within the 14 day limit, yes? Probably going to get an offer for the fixed penalty with the aforementioned £100 and 3 points.

Edit: Just seen Spog's post. Bit poo poo, but ah well. However, isn't that only when imposed by a court? You could still receive a normal fixed panalty?

Edit 2: Yes, I believe those are purely court guidelines for sentencing. I don't think it changes the FPN situation, and I think you're still eligible for one.

See what happens, I guess.

I'm not hugely worried as going by my payslip from May i'm looking at £150-£250 for 75-125% of my weekly income (I run my own company and technically at this point this financial year i'm making a loss as I've got a shitload of big invoices outstanding!). I can't imagine it will affect my insurance since I still had my last one on my last renewal.

I'd like to post the picture they took but the police website says i'm not allowed to share it, which is a bit unreasonable since its a photo of me in a public place. My car is at the back of a queue of cars behind a pickup towing a mini digger. I'd like to see what the other people got caught at if i'm doing 46mph at the back of the queue

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

I'm assuming it was a camera van like this, so it would be more stable than a guy with a hairdryer but I mostly agree. From what I understand 1km is the maximum range they can be used, but seeing as they have to spot and target you first its less likely they would get you at that distance.

Tomarse, I think Dave is right that you will probably just get 3 points, so it likely isn't worth fighting, but if you wanted to PePiPoo might be worth a look - it has a better signal to noise ratio than pistonheads.

As I said - they got me at 367 metres. Judging from the picture quality I would guess that on a long straight road they could get you from a lot further away.

However - you cant see the driver or read the plate in the one that I was clocked at in the distance, they have used 2 later closeup photos for that - I could have turned off and been free - so if you see a van in the distance and think it got you then turn off immediately before they can see you!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Its gonna be a long and sleepless night for a lot of us in the UK!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Considering May called this election under the impression it was going to be a landslide, if it isn't then that bitch needs to gently caress off.

After that exit poll I'm opting for a beer over going to bed.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And :lol: @Theresa May

Did you stay up and watch it?. It was so satisfying watching all the Tories go from smiling away and saying 'from the first 2 results we can see that the exit poll has vastly underestimated the conservative swing. We predict we will get 360 seats" to looking more and more sad as it went on and the exit poll was proved almost perfect.

Also David Mitchell on the C4 election program was goddamn amazing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

stump posted:

It appears that after months of Corbyn being called a "Terrorist sympathiser" May is jumping into bed with the DUP. A party which up until 2008 was lead by Ian Paisley, a man who helped set up three different Irish loyalist paramilitary groups, the first of which took part in false flag operations which helped spark The Troubles as we know it. But it's fine because they are our terrorists. I'd laugh at the irony but it's all just too sad. The DUP are also generally bigoted religious climate change denying zealots.

as well as being a "Terrorist sympathiser" Corbyn was also going to create a terrible "coalition of chaos" as the tabloids shouted....

also she has just lost 12 seats:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

No joke, one of my life goals is to have an 80s Panda with a truly ridiculous amount of power, just for a laugh.

have you seen one at a 4x4 funday? - you don't need the power! ;)

Also, I have just noticed that 2nd gen 4x4 panda's appear to be now under the £1500 point...

I wanted one 3 years ago when I got my Aygo but they were too expensive. They are not now!

What do i need to be aware of on 2005-2008 4x4 pandas with 70-90k miles on? I love the Aygo but after 140k the drivers seat is hosed and hurts my back and I want aircon and a sunroof and 5 doors...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Ah, no, I don't want a 4x4 Panda with more power (I've been the guy at a funday in one), plus they're a bit rare to tit about with now - I cancelled my original plan to modify one of mine with big tyres and a diesel, as it's a bit too good to do that to.

What I want is probably something close to a silhouette racer. Definitely Panda shaped but loony power.

I don't know a huge amount about the "new" Pandas, but be aware the 4x4 system is now a viscous based one, not the mechanical spline engagement of old, and they don't quite have the same off-road capability. Probably a much better daily driver though.

The engines are the venerable FIRE units that started in the mid-80s Panda, and they're very well proven, I doubt there's anything to be particularly concerned with there, plus seeing as they also put the 1.3 Multijet diesel in them, the gearbox shouldn't be at all troubled by the petrol engine's output.

I had a uno with the FIRE engine as my first car!

I know the new ones are not the same 'real' 4x4 as the old ones. I just want it over a normal one because 'panda 4x4'

There's a yellow 4x4 with aircon and panoramic roof and a tow bar on eBay for £1200 at a dealer but sadly it's a 2005 with 100k on which is a few years too old and slightly higher mileage than I'd like - but the right spec.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sometime over the last 5 days I've lost my car keys somewhere at home :(

It is bin day today and I woke up in a panic this morning and went through my wheely bin at 7am before they took it. No keys yet.

CommieGIR posted:

I can't watch GOT, or The Walking Dead for that matter. It just got too brutal for me.

Real life is bad enough for me.

I'm with you on Walking Dead - I cant watch it either anymore. GOT however I have no problem with.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

slothrop posted:

Or the freezer. Check the freezer.

After retracing my steps and vehicle movements I realised that the last time I came home in the car I had been to the supermarket on the way home from work so this was totally feasible, so I emptied my chest freezer but found only breadcrumbs, peas and loose fish fingers at the bottom..

So then I spent an hour tidying the workbench in the garage and pulling it forward incase they had slipped down the back. They hadn't (but its now much tidier which is a good thing)

Then I combed the entirety of the area between my parking spot and back door and checked my entire drive and all other vehicles.

spog posted:

they are in the pocket of some trouser/jacket that you swore you haven't worn for 3 months

Holy poo poo! - Well done!

As I was having a brew and googling the price of a replacement key I thought of your advice and having already checked every item of clothing in my bedroom I decided to check all the coats and jackets hanging by my back door, and found them in the pocket of my warmest winter coat - which I haven't worn for months! (its been hot for the past week!)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

Are you on Pistonheads? There's a lot of previous threads there, and people who know this stuff, and can give good advice on speeding punishments. Fair number of dickheads too, though.

I think you'll get 3 points and a £100 fine. Did they stop you for a chat at the time, or waiting on a NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution, for those following along abroad)?

Got a letter today and I get to choose 3 points and £100 fine or I can take it to court (as much as it annoys me that they got me right after the limit change sign I'll just take the fine+points)

Then also today, a German car parts supplier who i bought a load of Saab bits from have messed up a partial refund for a single returned incorrect item and are attempting to give me the full order value back instead and I've been good and told them despite being tempted to get them to pay my fine for me.

I am hoping this results in some good karma rather than many confusingly translated emails and me not even getting the correct refund.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

I'm a bit confused: are they still claiming that you were doing 46 in a 30, but only fining you 3 points - not what the guidance online said you should have got?

Don't get me wrong: I am pleased that you aren't getting banged-up in the slammer*, but I'm curious why you are getting the minimum. Did I massively misunderstand the rules?

(* no-one should get banged-up in the slammer, expect on a Friday night)

Like Dave says - maybe the new rules are only for if you take it to court (which I suspect they would have to do to find out an accurate weekly income from which to calculate a fine?), or perhaps their approach differs if you already have points? (I did the online check and my previous points are old enough to have dropped off), or maybe they just haven't started using those rules yet?

The letter I have now is a 'conditional offer of fixed penalty', where my offence is simply 'Speeding - exceeding 30mph on a restricted road'.

I actually have 3 options on it: 3 points + £100 (payment details overleaf..); go to court (costs £85 + whatever fine you may get); or 'I already have 9 or more points on my licence' (no payment required at this time...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I used to think that you Americans were big pansies for having aircon everywhere but this heatwave in the U.K. has made me completely understand and I'm really sorry I ever doubted you.

Today I had to go on the tube at rush hour.:supaburn:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

"£150 no offers car drives fine has lesbian scratched down the side"

I would happily drive a car with "lesbian" scratched down the side (unless it was a PT cruiser)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Now imagine it getting 94F outside in the summer and -10F in the winter and you can understand detroit lol

Apparently it got to 34.5C (94F) today in london. There was a tiny breeze and it felt like a hairdryer.

Over the last 7 days the only place I have found that has AC is the occasional supermarket.

Tomorrow I am working in a building with 2 air conditioned server rooms. gently caress working in the office. I'm gonna sit in one of the server rooms. Then on the way home i'm going to look at a car that has AC (Therefore it will probably be under 20C for the rest of the year now...)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave - I assume I just saw you and your Cappo on Youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1WRhPzhCy8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm getting up at 430 now for work and it's killing me, i have no idea how to get to bed before 10

I've just done a week of 4:30 and 6am starts and found that for approx 2 nights i found it hard to get to bed before 10am but after that I was just so loving knackered I couldn't bring myself not to go to bed early!

• Locked thread