Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I changed the oil in my shitbox mazda with a 3.0 duratec. It only turned into a mild clusterfuck involving a 4 ft crowbar. (The k&n oil filter was slightly larger than the hole to pull it out of. Force was applied.)

Now to go pop some shiny new headlight assemblies in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Non PT question

I muscled the AC pulley off the Miata and need to replace the bearing now. Trouble is, nobody in town stocks the bearing. So before I grab one off ebay, is there a better source for bearings I am unaware of? Will a generic 32x47x18 work?

Bearing part #32bd4718dum

Try asking for part number 4718 for the bearing.

Edit: alternately, if someone at oreillys gives enough of a gently caress, the federal mogul site we have access to has a thing we can dump bearing measurements into along woth bearing style to get a part number.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 5, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yay, called by alarm services because a spider or something tripped a motion detector in the store. Had to drive to it to confirm no baddies present and no signs of a break in.

The joys of responsibility.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Looks like my Crown Vic will be needing pads and at least front rotors soon. What was the Goon collective preferred configuration for daily driver brakes? I seem to recall Centric rotors and ceramic pads of some sort. Is there really any difference, particularly with rotors? Even the plain-jane poo poo at O'reillys is almost $50 per rotor. Ditto for the "Brake Best" ceramic pads. I might as well get the Power Stop Daily Driver kit from Rock or Amazon (probably Amazon because $LOL shipping @ Rock Auto.)
I'm not going to be racing the thing. I just need it to stop confidently, and preferably without making GBS threads up my fancy wheels.

The brakebest rotors are one of the tiers of raybestos rotors, whichever ones mimic the OE rotor material exactly along with vane construction, etc. The pads I've gotten varying answers, but all responses were bosch, centrix or wagner and I have seen a few very old wagner boxes rebranded brakebest. Fwiw, outside of an insanely finicky customer or two, I don't get complaints about gold box ceramic pads we sell.

Now what I'm disappointed to hear is that they didn't try to sell you the fancy carbon metallic PFC pads since its a cop car. They come in a hilariously overbuilt box lined with foam padding thats worth bringing out just for the reaction to it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gently caress that, real anglers ask if you've got enough poo poo for another rig so they can catch fish too. (drat fine looking fish you caught. I need to go again soon. :()

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

2 miles, under 5 minutes if I hit the green light on the way. :coolfish:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its gorgeous unless I'm at work. Then I die inside because I won't have a customer for at least 2 hours after it finishes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My buddy's roommate has a many, many car show award winning evo that is meticulously maintained and babied. It still spends more time on jackstands than off. Its still pretty though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

At least you have plenty of options and availability...

Edit: I just looked what headlight assemblies cost for a saturn ion. Your good/oe option is what I paid for my car's cheapest name brand option. :qq:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 18, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I have a silly patterned sun shade and good tint. And work nights. Mostly its the work nights thing that helps.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Neither car has a stick on the top trim iirc. Auto on the 6, cvt on the honda iirc.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

financially racist posted:

the people down the road moved out of the house they were renting and left their non-running rx7 fd behind.

it has no rust but i have no idea why it doesn't run. i am thinking of asking the landlord about it since he will presumably get it via abandonment.

please talk me out of this terrible, terrible idea.

You came to the wrong loving forum for that buddy. Get dat car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Lol wtf kinda so-called "car guy" goes two years without knowing his vehicle has a locking differential? fuckin hoser

Yeah I guess I have a Gov-lok in the truck. All the clunks and unexpected traction and/or oversteer suddenly make sense, I thought it was the transmission's impending death and weird road conditions.

About 90% of them if my customer base is anything to judge by. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It loving blows people's minds when I show them the rpo codes sheet. But then they want me to decode it all and I cry a little.

• Locked thread