Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
A dude showed up to C&C in an pristine '90 Protege this morning and I forgot to take pictures. Reminded me of how much I love the BG chassis and how when I think of a small sedan it's what I always picture.

Basically this but the paint was like a mirror and the interior looked brand new. Had some nice wheels on it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ether Frenzy posted:

30-pounds-lighter Rhyno, from this thread:
1990's Proteges uggnnnghhhn

I'm gonna buy a BG and slap an EVO X wing on it JUST YOU loving WATCH ME.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

When you bought this, I was going to run a book on how long it would be before you said that you were starting to like it.

I didn't buy it!

Also I don't enjoy driving it, let me be clear. It is boring and awful and gutless and terrible. I enjoying not having to give a poo poo about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Dude having a beater is amazing. See my Vibe picture above. Filled with dirt and bugs and bashed the tailpipe. Who cares. I have the Corvette and bike when I want to go fast and have fun, but having an appliance-mobile is just great.

I want to keep it even if I get an Evo/whatever next spring!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

Just import a Familia GT-X sedan? They made them, though as I recall they weren't really as good as the ultimate Mazda, the BG 323 GT-R.

Dude we both know if I'm gonna buy another Mazda it's the one sitting at your house.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Vibe/Matrix is a right cool car. My ex bought one brand new (she wanted a fuckoff SUV but I talked her out of it) and it was fantastic. She promptly traded it in when we broke up and she bought a Nissan Titan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

Late to the party, but congratulations on the weight loss Rhyno :)

Thank you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

Hah, watching the latest episode of Mighty Car Mods, and I bet there's going to be teeth gnashing from certain quarters about them building a straight-6 turbo Toyota drag car that isn't a TWOOO JAAAY ZEEE SWAP BRAHHH.

I loved it. But now I hope they get back to the Mira!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mondays can eat my rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slothrop posted:

Get in line

I ain't the one lining up for the buffet. Woke up feeling really sick for the first time in over three months. Hoping it was just dinner last night as I have a ton of poo poo to do later this afternoon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, the Miata is fixed!

Huge props to Mekilljoydamnit for donating parts! I owe you a beer!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nintendo often seems to have their collective heads up their asses. Just look at the supply issues with the NES Classic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ALL MY GODDAMNED PANTS ARE TOO BIG NOW

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So. I still want an Evo. But maybe I should broaden my car buying horizons? Should I go back to the suggest a car thread? Or stick here and get the best feedback from you guys?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The car thread wouldn't be bad to ping ideas from but they're answer to almost everything is buy a Prius. Bounce the question around here too.

The real answer is M3. No care what year, but you want an M3. Just drive one and you'll understand. I don't know what Evos are going for these days but when I looked at them they were still LOLmoney expensive and while a pure driving car they seemed pretty terrible to live with. Check your insurance rates too. Even responsible old Rhyno could still be expensive. Since getting my E90 I can't think of what I will ever go to next. It will have to be a Porsche or a GT-R. I'll probably skip the Datsun because it's ugly. The Porsche doesn't offer much in the way of utility for me with having small kids. The M3 is everything I wanted it to be.
So I say M3 or a 996 Porsche 911 (turbo if you can swing it)

I don't even know what I want other than I loved driving that EvoX. But $27K might be a bit more than I want to drop on a Lancer, even if prices are dropping. I did check insurance, it's only like $15-20 more than I pay now so not the worst.

Edit: I looks like prices are leveling out. 08's can be had rather affordably with decently low miles. Kind of have my head aimed at a 2014 and those are at $27K or so. If i go through with it and sell both cars, with what I am able to save per check I will probably have $15K to throw down by April.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 17, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

aren't evo IX still considered to be better than the X?

I guess. I don't like the styling of the IX.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wants:

Power - I like the power of the MS6 I own, the Evo X I drove had more power on demand.
AWD - no real reason, my current car has it. as does the Evo.
4 door sedan - I like the usable back seat. I also like the shorter wheelbase of the EvoX.
Handling - I also own a Miata which is a joy to drive, it corners wonderfully. I was shocked by the superb handling of the Evo.
Aftermarket - the MS6 aftermarket blows. Not that I'm planning on modding the next car but the Evo aftermarket is huge.
Price - under 25K, closer to 20K would be ideal but that also means an older car.

I'm also not opposed to hatchbacks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have lost track of the number of times my two Mazdas have broken over the last six years. I clearly give no fucks about reliability.

I am currently enjoying my life more than I have in a decade and I want to keep enjoying it, I'm not going to be young much longer, I want to have fun and have a blast driving something crazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sidebar:

I've decided that I want myself and my groomsmen to dress as the cast of Buckaroo Banzai for the wedding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Long story short

I want a newer, smaller, faster car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

InitialDave posted:

If you've had a lot of hassle with your cars up to now, is it worth biting the bullet and financing something like a Focus RS? It'd probably hit all the points you want, and a new car massively cuts down on the headache factor. Yes, it's more money, but let's say it means borrowing $10k over your budget limit. But it looks like the "full" warranty is 3 years, and the drivetrain and corrosion stuff is 5 years. That's $2k a year to be covered for poo poo that will stop you getting to work. How much have your existing cars cost you per year in parts/labour/inconvenience?

I have seriously thought about the RS. I have all my expenses for my cars recorded, I just need to run totals to see how much money I have pissed away. I kind of didn't want to do that for fear of seeing just how bad it has gotten.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got to hoon around in a G8 this morning, that's a pretty fun car. A shame it's more of a boat than my MS6 and every bit as old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

You're going to be New Jersey, right?

I mean, while I would look very dashing I think I'm obligated to be Buck.

EDIT: CLOTHES CHAT

I was wearing 38x30 pants and I just bought a pair of 34x30 for the first time in loving forever and they're a bit loose!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 17, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cars 3 is excellent. Absolutely redeems Pixar for Cars 2, and is probably better than the original.

Didn't it come in far under expectations? You're the first person I've heard good things about it from.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need someone to convince me to not buy an Evo or that there's better options so I decided to search for some of the cars I love that I passed on and man, 83-85 Celica GT-S notchbacks have evaporated.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Have you ruled out a VW R32?

I haven't even looked at them to be honest. I think the only thing that will hold me back is the question, "do I need to spend $25K+ on a car?"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Well since you're looking at Evos I presume you're OK with used cars and I don't see any 2008 R32s for any higher than $20k in my area, and most are in the $10k-$15k range.

Oh yeah, used all the way. I've been noting Evo X prices and 2008-10's have tumbled. I'm halfway hoping the '14's will also start to drop over the next year. $25K isn't impossible but I just need to be certain that I need that much car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

scuz posted:

Sweet deal. Here's a Jalopnik "Golftrospective" (their word) on the R32 line and it's not helping my horrible idea of swapping an all-wheel drive train into my pokey blue MK4. The best part about getting an R32 is that it's a hatchback, thus practical and can be used every day to do everything. Hatchbacks rule, especially ones with AWD and one of the best-sounding engines ever.

As appealing as it sounds, the VW styling just isn't my bag.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

just go test drive everything that's remotely interesting in the 20-25k bracket

I've been looking for cool cars locally, nothing has cropped up that I can afford or that checks the boxes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

I feel that somehow this is an elaborate ruse to try to show that you did your due diligence before telling us that you really love the PT Cruiser and are going to keep it as your sole car. And soulmate.

I mean, this could still happen. I do need to get that p/s line patched though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just got offered a trade on the PT Cruiser.

A fuckin' Festiva!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Good lord is that a terrible car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's appealing as hell but they don't have pictures of the car and as the story goes it's been sitting in a backyard for two years so I doubt it's worth salvaging.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

I am talking about 2016 Focus not anything about Festiva which I am very familiar with as I once rode home 500+ miles in one from Panama City

LoL, we got our wires crossed. Somebody offered me a Festiva in trade for the PT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well we're gonna see if this PT power steering issue can be easily fixed (patched with JB weld lol) on Saturday and then decide if I keep driving it or put it up for sale. It really is in great shape, year old tires, 18 month old shock and the heat and AC both work so I figure I can get at least a grand out of it. Then I'll buy my friends that gave it to me lunch and feel cool with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

everdave posted:

Why are you messing with that? Just get a new hose drat son.

It's not easy to swap, you have to take out the grill, drain and remove the radiator and a few other things. It's a loving PT Cruiser.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well the patch idea is

1: find leak
2: clean the metal hose
3: cover leaking spot to keep JB weld out of the line
4: JB Weld the gently caress out of the surface
5: Bend of split piece of conduit over the area
6: secure with like 17 hose clamps that I have lying around
7: NO MORE LEAKS (yeah right)

It just has to hold pressure until the car is no longer my problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larrymer posted:

Not sure how many people it takes to tell you "it won't loving work" but hey, here's another. :v: The pressure in those hoses is way too high for that poo poo. You either replace it or refill.

NOT WITH THAT ATTITUDE.

I saw a PT where a dude cut the line and spliced in a piece to avoid taking it all apart and it worked just fine for like three days

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kazinsal posted:

Every time Rhyno talks about the Free-T Cruiser I always think of the RCR PT Cruiser video. The one that's 20 minutes long and talks about how it's the distilled essence of middle-class eccentricities and nostalgia trickling down in a hand-me-down fashion to those who have to save up for months to think about affording simple maintenance like an oil change.

And then he goes and blows that idea away by just loving rocking that thing.

Shine on you crazy AI diamond.

Somebody's gotta live up to the Insanity part.

Me. I'm the somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot sauce chat?

Been playing around with ingredients of late and I have a new blend that tastes exactly like the one I was selling to you guys only now it has ZERO calories.

• Locked thread