Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I'm getting tired of maintaining my finicky 2-cycle gas trimmer for my less-than-a-quarter-acre lot,

I've bought 2 gas trimmers that lasted me 2 years each, then a cheap rear end electric trimmer that I paid all of $30-40 at home depot that's lasted me 15 years so far. Unless you're on acreage/in the lawn business gas trimmers don't make any sense since they just sit and rot for 30 minutes use every 2 weeks.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Tell them you're sure the foster families will love this child too.

This exactly. My wife is a social worker and you probably wouldn't be surprised by how many repeat customers they have, so to speak.

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

that said, my 17-year-old Briggs-powered MTD mower keeps chugging along with minimal maintenance. I just bought a carb kit (AKA "a gasket") and governor spring for it because it's surging, but that and a new spark plug every couple of years is pretty much all it's ever needed.

I'm there with you. My mower is a Honda from the late 80's and it chugs right along, starts every time. The only thing I've replaced is the spring on the handle that engages the transmission and recently the pull starter assembly. It'll probably chug along until I don't need it anymore. I just replace the oil once a year and keep on keepin' on.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

rdb posted:

Also, people here must have a lot of patience and some small yards if you can stand an electric trimmer.

Mine is corded, but still electric. I use an edger whenever, this one specifically: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DECKER-Edge-Hog-7-5-in-11-Amp-2-in-1-Electric-Landscape-Edger-LE750/100052063 whever I can, but use a weed whacker when I have to. I replace the string once every couple months, but spool it with this stuff, it lasts longer and works better than anything else I've used: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Universal-0-095-in-x-830-ft-Heavy-Duty-Trimmer-Line-16526/203041777. It's also a single line feeder, the last one I used was a dual line feeder and the line was also used up twice as fast since it's not the grass that screws the line, it's the wood/brick.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Darchangel posted:

The cordless one is also auto-feed, which I'm not sure I'll like.

Autofeed isn't bad once you get used to it... And by used to it, I mean if the line gets too short, just run it into the ground for it to come out further until it hits the metal shear on the edge of the line guard thereby flinging line into your face. :haw:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah its a Washington thing

DAGGUM CANADIANS RUININ MAH REGISTRAYSHUN! :bahgawd:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

70 mile roundtrip, only maybe 4 miles of which is through town. Takes me an hour and a half total per day. I've been doing this for going on 11 years, part of my motivation for a masters is to work closer to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The best part of letting your in-laws borrow your car is fixing it when they gently caress it up. Also finding more poo poo wrong upon inspection when they want you to fix their "initial" gently caress up. Driving it 25 miles back home with the temp light on and the needle pegged to max is the proper way to do things, right? "We managed to get it home..." Also "the tags are due and it DMV says it needs to be snogged, are you going to do that for me while you're fixing the cooling issue?" No you assholes, you've had it for a year without buying anything else yet. Get off your rear end and pony up to borrow it. Sorry. Rant over.

• Locked thread