Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've gone through two periods of my life where I wore contacts regularly. Both times I came to the conclusion that I just don't like the maintenance required. I will gladly go get a set of trial disposables and wear them if I'm doing something like flying to Hawaii and intend on snorkeling a lot. Put them in right before I get to the beach, take them out and throw them away when I get out of the water.

My brother (who didn't have nearly as strong of a prescription as me to begin with) wore contacts exclusively for years and years. He finally went ahead with LASIK and couldn't be happier. Me, I'm too unnerved at the whole "lasers in your eyeballs" thing. I also figure I've only got a few years left before I need reading glasses anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I tried contacts for a while, but I was having to constantly use resetting drops, or everything got blurry. I wonder if maybe the drops recommended above might be an improvement.
I intend to get LASIK at some point, but $$. I absolutely hate glasses, for all the reasons above. It's lovely being under a car, and sweaty, trying to look at something, but your glasses keep sliding to one side or another. I'm functionally blind without these things.

Get some prescription safety glasses. They can be had pretty cheaply and they make all the difference.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Condolences.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

WHAT IF I USE A LOT OF HOSE CLAMPS

It is not the repair the PT needs, but it is the repair the PT deserves.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ups_rail posted:

Didnt want to start a thread so I guess I ll ask here.

My car/truck situation has gotten ridicules so of course on top of all the toys i own I bought a 2005 crown Victoria interceptor. I basically needed a auto for the days my rebuilt knee bothers me.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for these cars namely finding replacement door panels for the rear so I can have functional and locking rear doors.

Might want to give the Panther thread a shout.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

It seems Richard Hammond isn't a fan of the Rimac Concept One.

Airlifted away but not dead, i guess.

Grand Tour on Twitter says a fractured knee but otherwise fine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a Vibe GT on Craigslist for $1500. hosed paint and high miles but still vaguely tempting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

So it goes XBOX, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox One Ten?

Better than just sticking an "s" on the end to ape Apple, I guess

They already did that with the Xbox One S.

And in this case I'm sure they mean X as in XXXXXXTREEME

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

This exactly. New doom is awesome and fun. Never stop moving.

Yup. No sniping poo poo from cover, get in there and gently caress poo poo up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be more worried about what the coolant had done to the rest of the system in that condition, rather than the engine.

Which is to say, BMW levels of GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If it still had Dexcool in it when it started running low, it probably filled the cooling system with silt. That poo poo is evil.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It's gonna be about $7500 for the new system plus install then we get about a grand in rebates and tax things back

Check the original date on the old one:

It was kind of old

Impressive. My mom's house was still on its original 1982 heat pumps until recently. One finally died maybe three years ago, the other maybe a year ago.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Do they list different ac lines based on the compressor?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cars 3 is excellent. Absolutely redeems Pixar for Cars 2, and is probably better than the original.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Didn't it come in far under expectations? You're the first person I've heard good things about it from.

I've never claimed to have perfect opinions, but I don't really see anything to fault it with. It won't end up as one of their best works, but it's solid.

It is pretty much the first one from different perspectives.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

12:35 am, it's still 86 degrees out.

This week: :supaburn:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No need to. I don't think I saw a single throwback to Cars 2. Technically they killed off Doc Hudson (since who the gently caress replaces Paul Newman... nobody, that's who) but in Cars 2 it was a "oh he died a while back, we miss him, HEY HERE'S MATER" sort of thing.

Cars 2 was basically a feature length version of those "Mater's Tall Tales" shorts they did. In 3, Mater is back to just a side / background character.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

I don't think so. You can do the opposite, and block specific people, but I don't think you can allow only specific people.

TBH the only thing that would work is putting a stupidly high price with a best offer option, and only accepting the right person's offer.

Given how many times I've seen absurd listing prices (like 5-6 figures for things that cost $20) I can only imagine this is the reason.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

I feel that somehow this is an elaborate ruse to try to show that you did your due diligence before telling us that you really love the PT Cruiser and are going to keep it as your sole car. And soulmate.

He's already got it torn down to do a 100-point subframe-off restoration.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

What's this now?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That tie rod doesn't know what the gently caress.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I was ogling the Saturn V on display at the Lego store in Chandler yesterday. Isn't that kit pretty much sold out already?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Was this a dick move? We're the customers and buying a car is a big decision and a major purchase, so I feel like we were within our rights to do this. What does AI think?

Funny enough, we had this almost exact same thing play out buying our CR-V in 2013, except the first guy wasn't nearly as much of a dick in person. But he was pushing pretty hard to try and sell us the moment we walked in, and gave us a hilariously bad price. I fired up Truecar the next night and got a vastly lower price, though what followed was apparently a half hour of backoffice arguing about which salesperson should get the commission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

About 14-15 hours for me, so even though it's on my birthday, I won't be celebrating by viewing the eclipse in person.

We'll still be getting 'an' eclipse. It'll just be a partial.

The "Chrysler Sebring" of Eclipses, if you will.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure she is/was, yeah. I can't imagine there's too many hand control AMGs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Goddamn you aren't kidding. Anytime I fly anything other than Southwest I'm wondering why they're taking so long to climb or descend. Southwest pilots don't waste a goddamn second getting up to altitude or getting down to the ground.

If you really want to see them have fun, fly out of SNA sometime. The rich folk surrounding the airport have crazy noise restrictions. They taxi onto the runway so they start as far back as possible, lock the brakes, hammer the throttle, and wait for the engines to spin up before they release the brakes. They climb out of there hard to 1000' or so. Then they pull the engines back to near-idle and glide out to sea as quietly as possible until they can get far enough to resume a normal climb.

LloydDobler posted:

Well it just got a lot less tolerable.

"But this managerial course we took says we have to have people in the office from 9 to 5! It's important!"

That's a load of horseshit. I can't stand management that doesn't seem to understand that a big part of the reason people work is because they have families to take care of, and might actually need to spend some loving time with them.

• Locked thread