Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

12 mile commute, if I have to drop the kiddo off at daycare it's an hour, if not about 30 minutes. 45-75 to get home

Seattle, right? At my last job my commute was 5.9 miles(greenwood to the convention center downtown), without traffic? ~15 minutes. normal day? 30 minutes if you get lucky, anywhere up to 90+ minutes. It got to a point where I made a deal with my boss to work mornings/evenings at home and come into the office when there is no traffic. Which then turned into going to the office pretty much only for meetings.

My current commute is walking down to my basement office. Pretty sweet, but I have to fly to SF to go into my office.

BraveUlysses posted:

well im still being forced to take a job (unless i want to be fired) that's 26 miles each way, 45 m in the morning driving, 60-90m to drive home.

Or i can take the bus which requires driving to a park and ride, and transferring busses half way there, 60 min each way on the bus.

of course i'm not going to be compensated any extra for losing 5 hours a week of free time

gently caress this gay earth

Boeing? Pretty sure the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Any worth of making a roadtrip thread? tldr: planning a road trip and need input on where we should stop.

The wife and I are going to be driving from Seattle to Minneapolis to visit my brother and his wife, as well as go to a family reunion with my mom and grandma at the end of July/early August. Now comes the work of figuring out our path there and back and what we need to stop and see on the way. We know its peak tourist season, so we are going to try to avoid the big names and explore more off the beaten track, which is more our style anyway. The one big thing we have to see is Mt Rushmore, since the wife has never been there. I have been looking at Roadside America(http://www.roadsideamerica.com/) for ideas, any other sites that are worth checking out?

So where should we stop? We have 2+ weeks blocked off to make this trip so we won't be in hurry.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Pham Nuwen posted:

I remember liking Glacier National Park as a kid, but that would have been 1995 or so, it might be way busier these days. At least it's pretty far from the freeway.

It's on our list. Mostly because I spent a lot of summers in SE Alaska and am used to seeing glaciers on the water, kinda interested to see them on land.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Definitely take some other route over the Cascades instead of I-90; I remember US 2 being nice and you can check out Leavenworth on the way through. Grand Coulee is worth seeing and it's never been packed with tourists.

Soap Lake is a weird little town full of Russian immigrants, not a long drive from Grand Coulee. The lake is full of minerals and has always been held to have healing qualities, there may still be spas there. The mineral quantity makes for improved buoyancy, although probably not to Dead Sea levels.

We are both born and raised in Seattle, so we have driven highway 2 many times. Probably going to take I90 just to get out of the areas we know ASAP. Oddly enough, never heard of Soap Lake, even tho I have been to Grand Coulee(and all over eastern Washington) multiple times. Might have to check it out on

Even tho the fuel mileage is probably going to suck, I am excited to take the LS430 on its first roadtrip. I will be putting more miles on it on this trip than I have in the 5 months I have owned the car. Hell its going to be my first roadtrip in a proper couch on wheels, which should be pretty sweet. Last roadtrip we went on was around the north island of New Zealand in a Alfa Romeo wagon, so this one should be a bit more comfortable.

InitialDave posted:

1st question: Can you left-foot-brake them?

Can you left foot brake any modern car? Anything that has a fly by wire throttle that I have driven immediately pulls all throttle the second you touch the brake pedal.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Cellular Suicide posted:

Check out Devil's Tower just inside the Wyoming border since you're already up there for Rushmore. When we did the South Dakota/Rushmore/Black Hills/Wall Drug family trip, we did Devil's Tower on a whim and it was by far the knockout hit of the trip. I've heard similar feedback from others who have taken the trip; it's a nice wilderness break from all of the tourist trap crap on the rest of that route.

That looks awesome, thanks!

angryrobots posted:

We're in the middle of a 10 day road trip through new England, and have made good use of airbnb in Vermont and Maine. We've stayed in some very interesting places, and saved money doing it.

Right now we're in a off the grid 3-story 200 year old farmhouse on top of a mountain in Vermont.

We might use some airbnb, but I don't know if we are going to have that solid of a plan to book many places in advance. Probably will just stay at motels that we come across on the drive, not sure how widely used airbnb is in the midwest outside of the bigger cities. I think my brothers neighbor is a airbnb, so we will try to book that for while we are in Minneapolis. Will probably try to book something in UP Michigan, since the are is supposed to be amazing and I would like to see the great lakes. Hopefully we can find some cool places to stay up there.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ilkhan posted:

Life goals for after 30: in bed by 8PM.

I used to make fun of a friend of mine because being out after 9pm was a late night for her, and she would try to schedule "brunch" at like 8am on Sundays. Now I find myself going to bed earlier and earlier on the weekends and being lucky to sleep past 9am. Still waiting on my metabolism and rest of my body to realize I am over 30, but I hope I can continue being a lazy gently caress and eat what ever I want without gaining weight to continue as long as possible.

• Locked thread