Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Dumb non dinosaur squeezings fueled bike chat. I think i'm going to pick up a bike this weekend. Im budgeting my self $850 max.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2182001/
2016 Santa Cruz Chameleon
Pro:
SLX driveline so it should be clutched.
Santa Cruz name seems to hold some value so I would think it would have good resale.
Can fit + size tires which I like the idea of.
Cons:
I don't think he will move much on price.
Not full suspension.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2097348/
2015 Giant Stance 1
Pro:
Full suspension 120mm travel
XT driveline seems like the lowest end that is still tough.
Seems like the mods are consistent with fixing complaints I read about in reviews.
Cons:
Only 120mm of travel.
Not a frame youd really want to keep long term.
I dont think it would fit + tires if I wanted to, but being FS i don't think it would need them.
I read the fork can feel a bit spindly, but I think its the same on the Chameleon but I don't read bad things about it on the Chameleon so :shrug:

https://www.raleighusa.com/tokul-5167
2017 Tokul 3
Pro:
Cheap, im told $600ish with corporate code.
Plus size tires
Good hardware, I think the NX is clutched, but I dont know how SRAM NX stacks up to Shimano XT, SLX
New bike
Cons:
Meh brand.
Not full suspension.
Id have to wait a few more weeks before its in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Galler posted:

If you can get away with a little less reach the 3 ton low profile is cheaper (frequently has a coupon for around $80) and lighter. I have one and it has worked well on stock suspension cars (Miata, 9-5 SS, Fit, Focus) and my friend's lowered Miata. Can't remember if it was used with my friends RX-8 or not. The long reach version would have been nice in some cases though as the first few inches of travel sometimes take a lot of very short pumps to gain enough clearance.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton...il_s1021_c2117b

I have the two ton. Its my only jack so it goes in the car every time I got to a rallycross. It weighs every bit of those 105lbs. Its one heavy mother fucker. It also doesn't have enough reach to get under my stock height 03 M3 without the car being driven on top of 2x4s. That said I love the jack, best ive ever had at least.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-low-profilelong-reach-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-62310.html

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Technically it is... Its a roof rack for the landcruiser with a Roof Top Tent on it. Theres a heap of camping gear stored up on top of the front of it.

How do you like the roof top tent? I think they look cool bit I don't like the idea of having to break camp anytime I want to go somewhere, and I feel like being surrounded by air on all sides would make them super cold in the winter.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

I love a super wide, personally I hardly ever use my 24mm. Its nice enough but its a meh focal length and meh aperture for crop in my opinion. Personally I'd look into one of the ~17-50 f/2.8 lenses. Most are reasonable sharpness and contrast at a reasonable price. Way more flexible too. For reference i'm shooting a 7D, and have a sigma 8-18, tamron 17-50 2.8, canon 24mm 2.8, canon 50mm 1.8, and canon 70-200L 2.8 IS.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Bike chat, picked up my first mountain bike friday. Was hiking all this weekend so I haven't got to ride it yet. I think I will tomorrow after work though. I need to adjust the front derailleur, adjust shock pressures, and get new pedals. But there than that, I think its pretty solid.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So snapped the chain on the first ride of that stance 1 I bought. 2 mile walk back to the car. Guess I learned my first spare parts lesson.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

drat. That sounds like the shop didn't have it set up right. I've only snapped one chain in 15k+ miles, and that was just recently... and only because I had been using my 11 speed bike on the Kickr with a 10 speed cassette over the winter. I think I flared out the chain and made it go boom.

New bikes should not do that.

It was a 2 year old used bike. I don't know if it matters but the chain unloaded while shifting down two gears. When the chain hooked I was in the middle of a down stroke and the front tire had just hit a root. Seems like kind of worst case for chain tension to me.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I'm probably in the minority. But I loving hate those tvs that run high frame rate and smooth poo poo. I'm perfectly happy watching my movies at 24fps and it look nice to me.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I bought my M over an STI or mustang because insurance made it a no brained. In retrospect I wish I would have got a z06, that would have suited me much better. The M cars are much more of compromise cars at their core.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Just watched the last hour of the 24h race. What a race! I was thinking Corvette was going to take the win and surprised at the turn of events on the last lap. Those things are hammers and anvils. Terrifying and loud and just work. Sad to see the tires get the best of him.
Not seeing the whole race I was surprised at how non existent Ford Racing seemed to be.

odd, at the Rolex 24 Ford seems pretty good. They took first and were having a good showing till the rain changed everything.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I autocrossed a golf R once. I don't know how that compares to a r32. I didn't like it much. It was pretty heavily modded and normally sets times around the same as my stock e46 M3. My problem with it is it drove like a FWD car, not as huckable and throttle steery at all to my feeling anyway. If I have AWD I want it heavily rear biased, I don't much like my WRX on road, on dirt it's not bad but you really have to grab it by the scruff of the neck, throw it around, and keep the throttle planted for it to not understeer (exaggeration, going slower and more controlled weigh transfer leads to balanced driving, but it's not as fun as making sideways choo choo sounds while pretending your Marcus Grönholm).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Found you some gloves eyebeem.
http://handupgloves.com/gloves/merica

Also I went for my 3rd mountain bike ride this weekend. Went over a ridge in the FATS faster than I should have and went over the bars. Nice and sore today. Pretty sure I dislocated my shoulder during the wreck. Also sliced the sidewall of one of my tires so I need to order a new tire now.

• Locked thread