Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This thread change over was far too efficient for AI :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've made a poo poo ton of OT from fallen trees...I would not have a pine tree or chinaberry within striking distance of my house.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Wrar posted:

I had PRK 8 years ago and I have mildly dry eyes from a clinical standpoint. 100% worth it. There are complications sometimes but it's pretty rare. I've also had stable vision for a very long time prior to that.

Same, PRK last year with really bad astigmatism.

I work outside in heat and humidity and at night, and contacts aren't allowed in an arc flash potential environment, even if I could wear them (tried, I can't). Being able to see without being dependant on glasses is amazing.

If I could wear contacts, and/or didn't have such poor vision, it may not have been a big deal but at this point definitely the right choice.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

After doing the fence by myself I said gently caress it and hired somebody to install irrigation and sod. So many people saying oh you can do that easy yourself, well gently caress that for about $400 in labor the irrigation guys were in and out in four hours, and for another $300 more than I would have paid for five pallets of sod myself, the sod guy is coming in tuesday and doing all the labor totally worth the $700 total to save my back and sanity.

Hey I'm big on DIY but I have definitely learned to keep my projects to stuff I want to do, or don't want to pay for. I don't blame you one bit.

The XRS is sold without craigslist, a co-worker expressed interest so I gave him a call and it's going to be his son's first car. He required that his first vehicle would be a manual trans, and the son wanted a car and not a truck so I guess it works out. :)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

haven't heard back from maintenance yet re a/c

Someone please airlift an iceberg into my bedroom I am dying

You said the breaker for the outside unit was buzzing and you shut it off right? Try re-setting it back to 'On', see if it kicks on? Small chance maybe the breaker was in a failed 'half tripped' state and they may get you back going.

Better chance the breaker is bad, since it really shouldn't be sitting there making constant noise, but it's worth a shot.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Weirdly, keeping the ad short definitely seems to have a higher correlation with more responses. I think maybe your average craigslist user thinks "didn't write much" == "doesn't know much about what you're selling/seller is stupid" so they'll be able to get a better deal, although IMO it would be hard to be stupider than the average craigslist user & still be capable of typing or allowed to own a vehicle. Personally, I love a really detailed post, but I think I'm in the minority there.

I've noticed the same thing, and I hate when I take the time to write out a history, and someone calls and goes "So tell me about the vehicle?"

That being said, I wrote out a nice detailed post for my tundra, and it sold cash in hand in 5 hours.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Yeah I gotta be honest I might weed eat the whole property once a season. I did it a few weeks back and it took nearly 9 hours. I probably won't do the fence and pond again this year, so maybe 15 minutes worth of work every couple weeks. I loathe trimming.

Glyphosate concentrate is cheap. I don't trim fence line. I don't knock it down to dirt either, I let it start to grow up then knock it down. Looks pretty good and don't have erosion.

Drive beer and spray fence line from the golf cart, it's very relaxing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fuckin moles. Fortunately have few of those here. The dogs would dig up old mole tunnels for hundreds of feet around the back yard at my old house.

rdb posted:

I switched to crossbow, installed a device to switch the bottom wire of the fence to ground when it gets tall, and trim when it gets really nasty looking. It's not bad this year.

Crossbow? Switch the bottom wire to ground?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

Crossbow is a combination of 2,4D and Triclopyr herbicides. It works against broadleaves and brushy, woody type plants. It will burn grass if not dilute enough, but it seems to recover better vs glyphosate.

My fences are electric. So when the weeds get tall and too much current goes into them the controller turns the bottom wire off. I think it was like $25.

Oh I gotcha, I have seen that for sale. I just let it grow a bit, then hit the tall stuff with a wide mist. Seems to mostly stay off any short grass.

And the fence, I see, I didn't know you were talking about hot wire. I have to keep the bottom wire hot (field fence + 2 stands of hot wire), cause we have pigs and goats, and it's the only thing they respect. Goats are like velociraptors, if the fence is off they figure it out immediately.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

rdb posted:

My wife has about 30-40 goats right now, mostly saanen with a handful of guernsey. The big ones leave the fence alone and the kids don't wander far if they do get out. The bucks stay in a separate pen on a separate charger during rut. Most of the escape problems we have had have been the result of damage to gates from climbing or sneaky kids squeezing through panels in the barn.

Pigs I have no idea about.

Fortunately everything is field fenced so no escapees, but without the hot wire they'll rub allllll down the field fence and gently caress it up.

Are you milking and/or running a dairy operation?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ya, my wife got into it with big plans to start a dairy but I think we (she) changed up when figuring the logistics of actually scaling up. We visited a goat dairy a few months ago and I don't think I want in it that much.

We have a small herd of nubians and plan to sell some cheese, because that takes relatively minimal cost to be legal. They are basically pets.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Bonus pound loss!!

Yesterday was the 90th/3rd Month of my fitness quest. I worked very hard and squeaked out another pound over the last 3 days.

THIRTY-TWO POUNDS GONE!

Is that a reflection of your dong

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

For anyone else with 'lil kneecappers, the Trolls movie is on Netflix and is actually pretty good and has some funny dark humor.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

morothar posted:

Hey guys, am I blind, or do we not have a generic pickup truck thread?

It looks like we will be moving to the US come July, so I am kinda looking at buying a pickup truck (where, if not in the US).

No, there isn't, but the RV/camping thread usually catches those.

If you ask in here, you'll just get a lot of noise about "why do you even need a pickup?", and be encouraged to buy a crown vic for its towing capabilities.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I sold my matrix xrs to a co-worker a couple days ago, for his son's first car.

They are both good people, and I think it's in good hands.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

Uhhh where would they rather you keep it? Propane is pretty drat safe, unless a commercial tank leak is allowed to accumulate into the eaves and attic of a building.

Pretty sure most propane grill issues are when people don't light it immediately and a large volume of gas explodes as the person is leaning over the grill.

My commute to the office is 17 miles and 19 minutes, but I drive a service truck so I average 150 miles and 10-20 stops on my "return commute".

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

So it looks like there are too many variables to really track it down, that's sad. The Vizio is about 2.5 years old. It was a mid-range unit. I'm looking to go to 70, but want to wait until whatever "the next big thing" is becomes mainstream. Thanks for the input.

There is a very up to date thread in IYG about tvs, and deals on tvs.

OLED is the next big thing, and LG is the cost/benefit leader, I think, at this time. I'm personally holding out for Sony's new stuff to come out, and for the current video/audio signal wars to get somewhat settled. I'll probably pay a premium for it, but I think it's generally accepted that Sony has the best image processing. I've managed 7 years on my current VIZIO, and am still pretty happy. I'd like to get the same kind of service life from the next set as well.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

Got a call from my boss earlier today. Turns there was no oil in the engine and it was leaking coolant. :staredog: Needless to say, he wasn't too happy with the company that's been doing our oil changes :v:
Man if that happened to my work truck they'd be up my rear end, but we're expected to check the oil and coolant daily.

I mean...I don't... but I know if it was low on any fluid I'd get the blame, post haste.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I am tom bombadil irl

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Say there dol, merry dol, your truck is stuck-a-dillo in a field ahum-brum

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have LG front loaders and my anecdotal evidence is that they've probably run 1500 cycles with no issues (other than when my wife's drat cat chewed a hole in the washer drain hose).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Savannah is a pretty cool city, nice area to walk around for a few hours stopping in whatever shops seem interesting. Some good food as well...we ate so much food.

Savannah is definitely cool for a weekend trip. Where'd you stay?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

So I know my weather station reads a few degrees high because it's in direct sunlight and the small contained units just don't manage the sunlight properly, but...

My home weather station high temperature today was 126. It is currently 123 and I just had a brief power outage. I am currently extremely thankful that the power only stayed out for about 15 seconds... an extended outage right now would... suck. A lot.

Most of the time when people say "the transformer blew up"....it isn't. Like, hardly ever. But when it gets abnormally hot or cold? Yeah them sum bitches will blow the gently caress UP.

Good luck friend.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The Locator posted:

Temp overnight got down near 80, and I slept surprisingly well with the fans blowing air around. The service guy is supposed to be here sometime later this morning, so I have to just suck it up and tough out the likely 90+ temps the house will be up to by the time he arrives.

Hopefully it's just a bad cap, and/or the compressor went out on thermal overload from short cycling due to the abnormal heat.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The AACA museum in Hershey PA is a pro visit.

Huge variety of vehicles in all manner of condition, mostly unrestored but well preserved, but quite a few in rough "as found" shape. Most had stories about how they came to be in their current state - the above was my personal favorite.

Also a huge Tucker exhibit with 3 complete cars, 2 test chassis where you can see the unconventional design laid bare, and about 6 engine prototypes along with a pile of memorabilia and original drawings.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slurry_curry posted:

Any worth of making a roadtrip thread? tldr: planning a road trip and need input on where we should stop.

The wife and I are going to be driving from Seattle to Minneapolis to visit my brother and his wife, as well as go to a family reunion with my mom and grandma at the end of July/early August. Now comes the work of figuring out our path there and back and what we need to stop and see on the way. We know its peak tourist season, so we are going to try to avoid the big names and explore more off the beaten track, which is more our style anyway. The one big thing we have to see is Mt Rushmore, since the wife has never been there. I have been looking at Roadside America(http://www.roadsideamerica.com/) for ideas, any other sites that are worth checking out?

So where should we stop? We have 2+ weeks blocked off to make this trip so we won't be in hurry.

We're in the middle of a 10 day road trip through new England, and have made good use of airbnb in Vermont and Maine. We've stayed in some very interesting places, and saved money doing it.

Right now we're in a off the grid 3-story 200 year old farmhouse on top of a mountain in Vermont.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

slidebite posted:

Where are you going to be Aug 21 for the Eclipse?
https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

Those of you in the US and SW Canada, are you going to try to see it?

We're directly in the path, and it's my bday.

Apparently every hotel in mid state SC is booked, and the Columbia local govt is encouraging people to airbnb their extra rooms (trying to pull in every tourist dollar they can). We're finishing up our guest room remodel and thinking about renting it out just for the eclipse.

Rhyno is your Mazda a hatch or sedan?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Fast forward 10 months, and they fire my manager.

Sounds like they're quickly going downhill. Rarely is it a good idea for a business owner to fire management and assume their responsibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

People in Maine hate:

-non locals
-Maine
-themselves

• Locked thread