Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Rhyno posted:

So uh, my boss told me today that the he and his brother (owners of the store I work at) want to give us money towards our honeymoon.

I think I'm crying a little bit.

Edit: Oh and Facebook reminded me that 3 years ago I was fifteen pounds heavier than when I started my new journey three months ago. So from 2014 I'd lost just shy of 45 pounds.

Good job on getting a fitness on, and awesome of your boss(es) are cool people - not enough of those in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

Preach brother. gently caress I hate my work iPhone. I don't do poo poo-all with it other than email/text work people, and still it has needed 2 resets in 6 months.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I already have slightly dry eyes at the end of the day, but I figure maybe I'm just not drinking enough water. And I wouldn't sleep with them in, except maybe on accident.

I've noticed that since I started cleaning the area around my eyes before going to bed, they're a lot less crusty and "tired" in the morning.

Oh yes, definitely. Any kind of protective eye gear, including motorcycle helmets are just a pain with glasses. They're uncomfortable, and they fog up so easily. Even 3D glasses are annoying, but I do tend to avoid 3D movies anyway.

I will probably be going for daily disposables, just to avoid the cleaning and possible infection hassles. And it makes losing a lens much less of a hassle.

That's what I'm hoping, too. It's not like I don't have peripheral vision, my prescription is rather low, after all. But just having a full corrected field of vision would be cool again.

The only downside I can think of right now is that glasses tend to shield my eyes from wind, but I'll manage.

Not sure if its an option for you, but I know my brother went with Lasik corrective surgery for a lot of your reasons (hard to keep on while working on things, get dirty/scratched, etc. - everything that happens on a farm). He has been nothing but incredibly happy with it. The only glasses he owns now are the sun and safety kind, and its been a great change for him.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Aren't there complications? Like reduced nighttime vision and such?

Plus, my prescription may change in the future, my mom is at like -5 or -6, with moderate astigmatism.

He hasn't noticed any changes re: nighttime vision and whatnot. Prescription might move a bit more as you age, but he had his down over 10 years ago and zero issues since - he's still a perfect 20/20. He was mid-late 40's when he had it done, so I'm not sure how much that might affect "drifting" of your prescription. All I know is that he's happy as can be with not needing his glasses anymore.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, I've had the gas trimmer for 15 years, but pretty much exactly as you say. I didn't even need the cordless one, as a 50' extension cord will reach anywhere I need to go.
Unless I get some acreage that requires it, I'm never buying a small gas engine again. When the lawnmower dies - electric. Chainsaw - electric. I don't use any of them often or long enough to keep them healthy and/or the gas fresh.
that said, my 17-year-old Briggs-powered MTD mower keeps chugging along with minimal maintenance. I just bought a carb kit (AKA "a gasket") and governor spring for it because it's surging, but that and a new spark plug every couple of years is pretty much all it's ever needed.

Have a cordless weed whipper and a cordless hedge trimmer - both were cheap, and just loving work. I love them. gently caress the gas ones unless you are doing this poo poo for a living and its running hours a day where batteries would just run out.

As to electric chainsaws - anyone used one? Thoughts? I'm looking at a small saw, and have been debating electric.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

Boring console, boring name ;)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Can we all discuss for a moment the stupidity of artificial scarcity in a given product? With the kids getting older my wife recently commented how it would be nice to get a Nintendo system to play mario/mariokart etc.
Not being gamers in the least sense I looked at the current offerings which I know nothing about. I remember the Wii being cool; and Wii Sports would be perfect for the kids. Apparently the Wii U is all backwards compatible! Neat! Oh, it's discontinued; I'll look at used ones. $220! What the hell? What's the new one? A Switch? *watches brief video, blown away* sweet! Only $299! Worth it over the old model for sure.

And impossible to find. Everywhere. All the time. It was released months ago, will they ever get supply up to meet demand? Are they purposely not making enough because they are losing :homebrew: for every unit they sell? Explain to me, a non gamer why would they do this? Why is the Wii U still so dumb expensive? I'd probably buy a Switch even at a $500 price point if I could just walk in and buy one. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of any other gaming systems.

http://www.nowinstock.net/

Got one within a week. Also, its worth it. But the scarcity thing is bullshit, yes. And gently caress y'all Nintendo haters - still the best games. Zelda is amazing. Mario Kart is, well, Mario Kart. And lots of sweet new games coming out. Plus the portability of the Switch is honestly pretty cool.

This is my story of how I am a giant nerd.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Not hating. I bought my wife the Switch.

Ay sorry, totally misread poo poo - all good. Mornings and not enough covfefe.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice. I remember looking at that site when I was hoping for an NES Classic but forgot the URL. I checked local classifieds last night too and it seems there are scalpers trying to get $350 out of them, which is only ~$30 more than I would pay locally+sales tax so if I can't get one the traditional way I will just get one through the classifieds.

It works well. As to dev's with the switch - given how poorly the WiiU fared, I think a ~lot~ of devs were hesitant to go all-in on it. After it started selling insanely well, suddenly its worth developing for. I'd be guessing it'll be a lag-time to big titles. In the meantime, there are some excellent indie titles on it, and a few other decent games.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 13, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

60km (or about 66'ish if we are picking up our carpool people).
45 minutes to an hour of highway where there is a higher chance of seeing moose (and wolves and whatnot) than any traffic not heading to the same place as us.
Its actually kind of a nice drive unless its icy/snowy out, then gently caress this highway.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

Pixel density is a huge one. 1080p on a 65" TV is a lot larger pixels than on a 50". It all depends on how far away you sit - the 65 would look better at a distance, but isn't as sharp at close distances. Sources, etc may also make a huge difference - as previously mentioned by someone else, without comparing apples to apples its REALLY hard to tell.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Me too. Years of working in stressful environments means that I now don't enjoy watching TV with lots of arguing or fighting. Even a couple of episodes of Black Mirror messed me up for a day or two. Probably an indicator of some undiagnosed anxiety issue.

Well gently caress, glad I'm not the only one. I can sometimes watch those shows, but a lot of the time they just make me...anxious? Stressed?

Yeah.

Yay brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

eyebeem posted:

The ms intellimouse explorer will always be the best mouse.

How's it feel to be so wrong?

MX518 for life.

I have 3 in various states of working...I should really just repair one. I miss that mouse.

• Locked thread