Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Laziest copy-paste OP ever, I mean at least put SOME effort into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Me too. Years of working in stressful environments means that I now don't enjoy watching TV with lots of arguing or fighting. Even a couple of episodes of Black Mirror messed me up for a day or two. Probably an indicator of some undiagnosed anxiety issue.

Well to be fair the last season of Black Mirror had some genuinely disturbing episodes in them.

KIDS, KENNY!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Me either. Turns out, the heat causes the air to expand and make it not dense enough for the planes to take off in the given runway length.

That's not true actually. Well, it is, but it's not what's actually the problem.

The reason why flights in and out of Phoenix have been cancelled is simply because the aircraft manufacturer (specifically Bombardier in this case) does not publish performance data for temperatures that high. Their aircraft are perfectly capable of flying under those conditions (the density altitude at Phoenix that day, which is altitude corrected for temperature and pressure variations, would be about 5700 feet - high, but where I live it can often be above 6000 feet, and at airports like Denver it can approach 8000 feet), it is entirely a regulatory issue of just not having the information needed to calculate runway requirements, climb gradients, etc.

E: On a somewhat related note, as of the time of this post, the hotspot in Canada (and in fact it has been nearly all day long) is at a place called Fort Good Hope. Now where might that be - the interior of British Columbia is pretty hot this time of year, right? Maybe Saskatchewan, where the highest temperature ever in Canada was recorded? Southern Ontario? No, Fort Good Hope is here:

And just to give you some pause for thought, if the forecast holds true, it's going to be the hottest place in Canada for probably the next week.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jun 22, 2017

• Locked thread