Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Rhyno posted:

I didn't have my phone handy but I kneeled down while my sister turned the wheel on the PT and it was doing the same thing as in this video at 2:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jmnj3bRPUI

First repair attempt will be a piece of curved metal to make a patch, JB Weld and some hose clamps. If that works I will just roll with it, if not we'll buy the line and swap it out.

Jesus christ no. That will not work, just swap it.

It's already making you think like a PT cruiser owner. Shed the evil at your first opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I bet Washington required that the license plate be visible regardless, given that they're already being assholes about renewing the tabs.

Yeah last car cover I saw had a plastic window for the plate for just that reason. Sucks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

15 miles, 25 minutes usually. I'm pretty content with it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

quote:

"Come home, Sam. Come home forever, and I'll do you a roast."

Total non-sequitur but this made me miss my mom. "Are you hungry?" was pretty much her catch phrase, and it meant one of a dozen things like "I'm glad you're here/I love you/how are you/stay a while."

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Damnit. Seeing your post reminded me that I never replied to you about the pdr tools. They are way too big and heavy to ship for any reasonable cost (big 3xshotgun case that weights ~70 pounds). And in all honesty, you can get a setup to test for way less than shipping cost for this set.

The guy that sold me on PDR back in ~2005 said that he could do it with a screwdriver... and that really is the point. If you know how to do it, the tools just help you get access to hard-to-get-to dents. Look on eBay or Aliexpress for a lighted line board, get some knockdown tools and a couple whale tales. That will get you in the ring... then just start practicing on the ones you can reach. If you don't blow the gently caress out of them, then you can start expanding the tool collection...

No worries, Amazon has a few comprehensive sets that look appealing as well. But actually you're right. I should spend like $20 to figure out if I have the patience on some easy to reach dents, and then stock up on tools if I want to reach all of them. The little hot glue bridge pullers are pretty fascinating too, that would be a way better solution on the roof of my wagon (over taking the headliner down), if I could get good at pulling a dent proud and tapping it back.

The more I've been looking at my daughter's V50, it is really peppered with dents and the metal is really thin. And it's black with full gloss still. So basically worst of all worlds, if I can do that I can do anything.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Hope everyone comes out okay!

slidebite posted:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

:catstare:

You know, on one hand it's kind of pulpy trash but on the other hand it's highly addictive. I absolutely love it. Every time a new season comes out I re-watch all of them first. It's a show that can definitely surprise you out of nowhere on a regular basis, which is drat hard to do these days. Also some of the characters are brilliant. One of my favorite exchanges:

"The Lord of Light wants his enemies burned. The Drowned God wants them drowned. Why are all the gods such vicious cunts? Where is the god of tits and wine?"

"In the Summer Isles. They worship the fertility goddess with sixteen teats."

"We should sail there immediately."

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Basically don't fall in love with any character and your heart won't get broken. :'(

Except Dany because drat.

Also the Bad Lip Reading is a must watch for both fans and haters. I think it's fairly spoiler-free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Krz-dyD-UQ

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've never claimed to have perfect opinions, but I don't really see anything to fault it with. It won't end up as one of their best works, but it's solid.

It is pretty much the first one from different perspectives.

Do I need to see the 2nd one to see the 3rd, for plot points, dead characters, whatever?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i went with akebono ceramic for my e46 and i love how much less dust they put off than metallic pads

rotors don't really matter that much

Seconded, I will always buy Akebonos from now on. I put them on my last V70 and got about 60k miles on them when I sold it, and they were barely 1/4 worn out. I engine brake a lot but still they were friggin fantastic. Great bite too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I think my gaming days are over for real now. I can't keep up with hardware.

I downloaded the new DooM today on the steam sale. 78 gigabytes. I did a double take. I might have to move it off my SSD if I run out of space in the future, or if I want to buy a second modern game.

My PC is barely below the minimum requirement, I just don't have the love for games that would prompt me to dedicate this kind of money and time to it anymore.

That said, even on an i3 4160 and GTX 750 Ti card it plays smooth and looks amazing. I accidentally triggered some high quality setting and it choked the playback to about 1 FPS, but drat the frames looked good. Like really good. I had to restart the game to get it to reconfigure. But at least now the games are smart enough to read your PC and set the game up to run right. And even at the low quality settings I'm forced to run at, it looks better than DooM³ ever did. I played about 4 minutes before my daughter reminded me that I needed to do something for her.

She's at her mom's now so tomorrow might just end up being a play DooM day with a junkyard break in between. I need a few things and I have some cores to return.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Drunk and updating my resume at midnight. I'm still employed but after only 11 months I'm pretty fed up with my current job and ready to move on. Which is saying something, I've never quit a job before. But I'm only going to quit if I get something new, I HATE being unemployed.

As many of you know I'm a single dad, I have my daughter thursday to sunday every week. Everywhere I've worked for the last 10 years has been very accommodating in terms of me wanting a weird schedule. My daughter gets out of school at 2:30, so all I ask for is to leave at 2:00 on Friday, and I work extra the rest of the week to make up for it. When I started here they said the schedule is flexible, which was great because they didn't budge at all on salary or any other benefit I tried to negotiate. The two owners don't like to be involved in details so they left my schedule up to the engineering manager, who had no problem with my request.

Fast forward 10 months, and they fire my manager. One of the owners has to temporarily manage us, so he finally notices that I've been leaving at 2:00 on fridays and decides on a whim that it's unacceptable. So now I have to loving find someone to take care of my daughter every friday for basically three hours, because they force my commute into rush hour which will add an hour to it. So now instead of getting home around 4:00 on fridays it'll be around 7 pm. And they can't give me a reason outside of "we just want it that way".

The dumb part is that I only need this schedule for another year, after which my daughter will be able to drive herself. Of course it's more than this one issue, it's a lovely place to work in general so having a couple little perks made it tolerable. Well it just got a lot less tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Interesting twist, last night I found the email chain where I confirmed in writing my schedule with my manager (now fired). It took place one week before I was hired permanently, so the schedule was in place from the beginning. I also have 8 weeks of contractor time cards showing 5 hour fridays that were all approved, by who I don't know.

I doubt it'll make any difference but I might write one final appeal letter and see if it does.

The stupid thing is that I don't want to make a big deal out of it. I don't want to be seen as a bitchy troublemaker. But this is the problem when the decision makers don't know their employees very well, you only interact over things like this. I haven't ever caused any trouble, I meet my deadlines and my work is high quality. I just want flexibility that makes my life easier in return.

Oh, and they hired a new manager a week ago who said he doesn't care about schedules as long as we work our minimum 40 hours and get things done. Then on wednesday he was the one who told me I can't have my schedule anymore. So obviously the owners told him to do that.

Whatever, still gonna start a job search.

• Locked thread