Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Took a trip out through Panamint Valley to Death Valley with a friend last weekend. We climbed up Telescope Peak in the Panamint range, the highest mountain in the area - it's not a terribly difficult hike at 14.5 miles round-trip, except for the elevation - trailhead starts at 8200ft, peak is 11,042ft. Elevation always kicks my rear end as a sea-level dweller. The view at the top is spectacular however, and we got lucky with very clear weather.

Confusing panorama:

fullsize

This is a unique point to view exactly what the hapless pioneers and gold-seekers of 1849 encountered when they dropped down into Death Valley - they thought this was about where they would hit the Sierras, instead they were faced with the Panamints - a full ~75 miles and several ranges east of the Sierras.

For the history buffs, an even more confusing panorama:

fullsize

On our drive in through Panamint Valley (a long, straight road down the middle) we got buzzed by an F/A 18 Hornet out of China Lake Naval Weapons Station, hugging the road about fifty feet off the deck. One second we were wondering what the gently caress that weird UFO-shaped thing on the horizon was, the next we're rocked by pure noise and a face full of dual jet intakes. One of the coolest things I've ever seen, and my soul but for a dashcam. That pilot was probably breaking every rule in the book but who is going to report that poo poo, especially when you're twenty miles from cell service
:swoon: :dong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Bonus pound loss!!

Yesterday was the 90th/3rd Month of my fitness quest. I worked very hard and squeaked out another pound over the last 3 days.

THIRTY-TWO POUNDS GONE!

When you hit a wall, I hear rare worm diseases are a good way to lose weight :v: You've got a 0.0000015% chance of getting one unless you hang out with Inch Dick and his friends.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Twenty-four hours on a company-chartered fishing boat - why not? I didn't know anything about fishing, but I figured I would just rent a pole and tag along for shits and giggles. Next thing you know all the experienced anglers on the boat with $$$$ rig setups are grumbling and your new nickname is The Wrecking Ball because you caught the only back-to-back halibut in recent memory, using an apparently incorrect overly-heavy round sinker. I also caught two yellowtail tuna.

Sea fishing is gnarly!

Me irl

Deckhands doing the dirty work

Dude knows how to fillet

One halibut

I ate a shitload of sashimi yellowtail tonight, hot drat :fap:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Midniter posted:

How un/safe is it to keep my propane grill on my deck? It's got wooden railings and a trex floor. I grill about once a week, the only time I'm not actively outside with the grill is when it's initially heating up, and I turn it off as soon as I'm done using it.

My wife's coworker's husband is a firefighter and she's had the fear of god put into her over this. I like it where it is.

I think that's where 75% of the grills in the US are kept with zero issues. As a certified lifelong pyromaniac, I sign off on your setup as safe.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Oh god don't even think about putting yourself through more TWD.

God this show is garbage. I am usually able to get into and enjoy most modern TV shows if I watch a few episodes, but this one just pissed me off so much. I was actively rooting for basically all the characters to get eaten, and quit a few eps into the second season. Show should've been called Unnecessary Forest Drama, or maybe The Talking Dead.

Game of Thrones is the poo poo though, and I've never been a fantasy kingdom sort of guy.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

There's got to be a way to do it without it looking like rear end.

Unless you are an elite guru, any solution involving liquid nails/jbweld/whatever always looks like rear end anyway... maybe I just suck with the stuff. I say get a nice chromed 1/4" carriage-bolt of appropriate length, tastefully and carefully countersink the head into the plastic handle, drill through the door and locktite a nice chrome acorn nut on the inside.

By that of course I mean butcher the poo poo out of the handle with a spade bit, curse and figure you'll just deal with it, shatter the glass while drilling through the door and curse some more, then buy a new microwave.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Father's Day gift: two hours on a steeply gabled roof in 95deg full sun, pruning back a shitload of oak so he'll pass this year's fire inspection. He's a bit too old to do it himself and he had a falling-out with his longtime handyman, so I did it sneakily while he was at a car/trailer show. Only almost slid off once!

Happy Father's day to you fertile dudes.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Beverly Cleavage posted:

aaaaand I just found out there may be a harbor freight coming into my neighborhood potentially in the next year or so. I'm afraid for my wallet.

:getin:

Start getting signed up for all the free subscriptions of Motortrend, Hotrod, etc. you can now, so that when the time comes you will have a limitless supply of 20% off coupons and FREE FLASHLIGHTS like I do. Keeping coupons in both my cars helps to justify those impulse purchases like four hundred metric O-rings or more socket extensions.

Truthfully, it is super incredibly useful for stuff you may only use once - case in point I needed to get the last of some really old fuel out of a truck before smog the other day: $~3.50 later and I had a siphon hose with a rubber ball hand-pump that worked perfectly. A+++ would shop at HF again.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Been playing around with ingredients of late and I have a new blend that tastes exactly like the one I was selling to you guys only now it has ZERO calories.

:chloe:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Rainbow Six: Siege is the best FPS, but you often live and die by your team's skill as much as your own. And Ubisoft's servers aren't always the most reliable...

It really is a fantastic game. I've played R6 since, well, R6, and loved what they did with Siege. My buddy and I alternate between that and BF:1 depending on what we're in the mood for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Lolling over here, thank you for a seriously-needed laugh.

• Locked thread