Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cars and coffee here is actually pretty cool because lots of rich people with exotics live in the area, so showing up with a Mustang is pretty lame in comparison. One time this dude showed up with a riced out POS e36 and parked between a Ferrari and a Lambo it was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

everdave posted:

Hey good news I don't have to worry about my wife finding the title for the Explorer anymore...and after nearly 10 years I took full coverage off this like 3 months ago because it just sits in the driveway!

This doesn't even begin to demonstrate what happened to my neighborhood

If you have comprehensive that will be covered.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Geoj posted:

Given how cheap it usually is and how much damage comprehensive actually covers its silly to not carry comprehensive. My wife and I both drive cars that are 10+ years old and have over 150k on the OD, but it literally costs $10/month for $500 deductible/$0 glass comprehensive coverage on both.

This. It's too cheap not to have it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A friend of mine had lasik done and it hosed up her eyes, she has constant dry eye problems now and regrets having it done. There can be complications, so it's a risk just like any other procedure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think I'm pretty much done detailing my own cars now. Started my xB early today and just now getting ready to wax it, I can't do this poo poo anymore my back and hands/arms are killing me :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Not even needing that, just doing a clay bar then polymer wax just because it's easier to apply and remove. Along with the entire interior completely detailed being OCD about it with early onset arthritis, my joints are hating me right now.

Time to find a good local mobile detailer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Holy gently caress laying down pavers is terrible, terrible work.

Especially when it turns out the soil is a mixture of roots, tile, other pavers, and seashells for whatever reason.
Totally hiring someone to do this if I ever want to do this again.

On the bright side, the front area now looks 100% better than the moldy stepping stones covered in mud that used to be there.

After doing the fence by myself I said gently caress it and hired somebody to install irrigation and sod. So many people saying oh you can do that easy yourself, well gently caress that for about $400 in labor the irrigation guys were in and out in four hours, and for another $300 more than I would have paid for five pallets of sod myself, the sod guy is coming in tuesday and doing all the labor totally worth the $700 total to save my back and sanity.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My son is scared to go to the Iron Maiden concert next week because he's worried about somebody bombing it.

When he told me this I had no words.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

That's a shitter. How are you going to play it?

Tomarse posted:

I hope you have explained to him how he needs to go there and to have an awesome time.

I was kind of shocked when he brought it up to me because we don't really watch the news much, but it made me realize he pays more attention to it than I thought. The only thing I could come up with at the time is that it only happens in Europe so we'll be fine. It's sounds lovely but unfortunately it's pretty accurate, I can't imagine living across the pond having to worry about that poo poo going to every event.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would never worry about it for myself. But when you have kids you worry about everything :smith:

Tomarse posted:

He will be fine. There will be security who will check bags or likely not even allow you to take bags in. Maiden will be great.

I know, the chances of it happening here are even less than it happening over there. It's just sad that it's affecting my son to the point he felt the need to tell me about it.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 4, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My uncle sent this to me, love it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone recommend a good low profile floor jack that leaves room to lift low cars? My 1.5 ton HF is too short/tall to use under my LS430, it fits under there but I can't move the handle enough to do squat. I'd probably be better off with a 2 or 3 ton anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Maybe get a couple chunks of 2x12 to drive up on? It'll only get you another inch and a half, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than another jack.

The one I have is pretty old and has a hard time with bigger cars, it barely lifted my brother's truck. I think it might be time for a new one if I'm gonna be lifting heavy vehicles now.

BraveUlysses posted:

HF has a low profile steel jack that has really good reach

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...pump-62310.html

I wonder how heavy it is :v: I don't have a garage, so I have to transport it between my carport and shed.....Could probably use a hand truck to move it though. Gonna go to HF and check it out thanks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

96.8 pounds according to Harbor Freight's website. :v:

Christ that seems heavy for a jack. Especially a Harbor Freight jack.

Jesus Christ. Yeah that isn't going to work, gonna have to go with lowest, longest aluminum jack I can find I guess.

One of the things that pisses me off about mine is the bolt that secures the handle to the jack is on TOP of the jack handle and effectively takes up more than an inch of clearance, every other jack I've seen has it on the bottom of course.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

SCA Enthusiast posted:

I think the main trick is to only go forward with craigslist deals where the potential buyer is able to communicate in complete sentences.

This, it's simple and the last five or six cars I've sold on CL have been pretty much headache free, although I chalk it up to selling mostly cars around 5k or less that are econoboxes and a few Miatas. I can't imagine trying to sell a WRX or something that has a giant ricer following with most looking for joy rides. Selling boring cars is a hell of a lot easier I would think.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have a huge yard and I much prefer electric. I have corded hedge trimmer (600w) that will mangle just about anything you choose to put in it's path and electric trimmers (battery and corded) otherwise. Electric garden tools really have gotten so much better over the last few years. I'm honestly surprised just how good even the cheap Ryobi stuff is these days. I'm considering electric lawn mower next but for a yard that takes a good 1.5 hours just to mow...... maybe not.

I got the Ryobi mower and it's loving awesome. Way more powerful and efficient than I thought, super light and quiet. It's bizarre and I'm still not used to it yet but i love it.

I'm completely electric now with all my lawn tools, never going back to gas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ups_rail posted:

Didnt want to start a thread so I guess I ll ask here.

My car/truck situation has gotten ridicules so of course on top of all the toys i own I bought a 2005 crown Victoria interceptor. I basically needed a auto for the days my rebuilt knee bothers me.

Can anyone point me to a good resource for these cars namely finding replacement door panels for the rear so I can have functional and locking rear doors.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536076

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am getting the itch to buy a new lens for my camera to tinker with. It is a crop sensor Canon. I have a 50mm/f1.8 which gets a lot of action now. I am considering a pancake lens, the 24mm looks fun and cheap. I am wanting to mainly do portraiture and take pics of cars. Should I go that path? I am not ready to hurl $700+ on lenses until I master my crop sensor camera and equipment. I will one day like to go bonkers with L glass and a full frame camera. I just am not there yet.

Get a 10-22 for cars it's perfect for that, and use your 50mm for portraits, wide open preferably for maximum bokeh.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pham Nuwen posted:

For portraits, you will generally want to go with a longer lens. I hear low 100s of mm focal length tossed around.

Also, buy a Pentax ME Super instead :haw:

I used to own a 135 2.8L, by far the best portrait lens I have ever used and I regret selling it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

No, there isn't, but the RV/camping thread usually catches those.

If you ask in here, you'll just get a lot of noise about "why do you even need a pickup?", and be encouraged to buy a crown vic for its towing capabilities.

Not really, it's more that the used market on them is so ridiculous you'd be pretty dumb to buy one if you don't really need it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

Re: Thunderstorms. Yeah, you'll have to drive those days. Just rain? Get a decent jacket and some rain pants or just drive I guess. Still at least 50% of the days better.

The problem is in FL, especially inland, thunderstorms pop up at random during the summer and it almost impossible to predict. And it's not just rain, the lighting is horrible and kills people every year.

Commuting on a bike during the summer in FL is dumb not only because of the brutal heat, but because of the unpredictable storms as well. I can't count how many times I've ended up at a 7-11 or something waiting out a storm in the summer it's a pain in the rear end.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I have to laugh as the woman who just broke the world reord for kms on a bike did it all on Florida and is right now riding to break the the 100000 mile time record... 400kms a day.

Yeah she sounds a little nutty doing it this time of year, pretty dumb actually when the other non summer months of the year the weather is perfect to do something like that. But no, lets do it at the worst weather part of the year! Bonus points for not getting killed by lightning!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha my wife just drove through that on the way home. Here on the beach we pretty much have to watch the radar constantly or before we know it we're in deep poo poo, people on vacation sure as hell don't pay attention so we have to for them.....Get out of the pool idiots! No, don't go on the beach morons you're a loving beacon for lightning out there!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You haven't lived until you've felt the spooky static from lightning seconds before it strikes a transformer above your head :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Same here, just not into it. I usually end up watching documentaries and anime on Netflix.

And before you judge me for watching anime, living in Japan ruined me that way ok

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I lived in a place where Dragon Ball Z was prime time must watch TV, like literally the top rated TV show.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Say there dol, merry dol, your truck is stuck-a-dillo in a field ahum-brum

:lol:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And so bad the next day, that's the worst part :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

...that are made in China.

Speed Queen supremacy, made in Wisconsin :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hey Rhyno your message box is full I'm trying to give you money for things :colbert:

• Locked thread